• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating Atheists

Would you date an Atheist?

• Affirmative

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Negative Ghost Rider

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Jeremiah

doppelgänger;961577 said:
The best method for dating atheists is to cut them in half and count the rings.

The best method for dating a theist is to take a guess.

--

I also voted yes before reading the thread :sad4: Sorry.

Sahar

If "dating" means meeting someone to know him for the sake of marriage (thus it will equate "engagement") then i can accept the word. It's also done under certain conditions.
It's strictly prohibited to marry a disbeliever in God according to Islam, so the answer is no.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a Christian, my potential wife's religious beliefs are the most important thing to me. It doesn't matter if she is otherwise the perfect woman for me, she just won't do if she isn't a dedicated Christian. I'm not a picky guy and I could be happy with a wife who was a terrible cook, had a horrible sense of fashion, is undereducated, forgetful, always late, or any other similar things, but never a non-Christian one.

Would you settle for a Christian of another denomination say Catholic, Mormon or SDA for instance.

morning-star

Light Bearer
yes. all of the people I have dated have been athists lol. you don't juge some one by their views you judge then by the way they act...so long as they don't keep putting down your faith and respect the fact you have one then it's fine. (but who would date someone who was offencive to you or your faith anyway??)

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Muslim women aren't allowed to marry outside there faith, but the men are, a little sexist there it seems. Though I think it has to do more with mathematics, a muslim man is more likely to have muslim kids and maybe even convert the wife if it isn't required by them already, where as a muslim women's kids have a good chance of not being muslim if the father is of a different faith. Anywho, you can strike off another if being Agnostic Theist doesn't count, but I've dated several atheist girls before so it's not really "would I?" but "have I?" and to that giggity giggity.

UnTheist

I'm not a picky guy and I could be happy with a wife who was a terrible cook, had a horrible sense of fashion, is undereducated, forgetful, always late, or any other similar things, but never a non-Christian one.
So being married to an Atheist is worse than having a wife with all those attributes?

Ineresting...

Jeremiah

As a Christian, my potential wife's religious beliefs are the most important thing to me. It doesn't matter if she is otherwise the perfect woman for me, she just won't do if she isn't a dedicated Christian. I'm not a picky guy and I could be happy with a wife who was a terrible cook, had a horrible sense of fashion, is undereducated, forgetful, always late, or any other similar things, but never a non-Christian one.

What an completely empty love.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Muslim women aren't allowed to marry outside there faith, but the men are, a little sexist there it seems. Though I think it has to do more with mathematics, a muslim man is more likely to have muslim kids and maybe even convert the wife if it isn't required by them already, where as a muslim women's kids have a good chance of not being muslim if the father is of a different faith. Anywho, you can strike off another if being Agnostic Theist doesn't count, but I've dated several atheist girls before so it's not really "would I?" but "have I?" and to that giggity giggity.

Not exactly, it was to prevent a nonMuslim man from preventing his Muslim wife from particpating in her religion and denying her the rights Islam granted her. Of course, some Muslim men seem to do a fine job of that now. :rolleyes:

My SO used to be Muslim, Wahhabist, in fact. I daresay I think G-d likes him better an atheist than what he was before...

Random

Sure I would, so long as she were not a proselyte and was understanding of my frequent lapses back into quasi-theism. And once she was sexy, too...:flirt: None too shallow, me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The simple fact is that by being around me long enough, things would happen to the unsuspecting suitor, suitorette. It is unavoidable and I wouldn't be particualarly concerned about what they believed in the past. The amusing part is that I wouldn't have to say a darn thing, lol. My consciousness is more than capable of "doing the talking" on its own and I'd wager that would get their attention.

Random

The simple fact is that by being around me long enough, things would happen to the unsuspecting suitor, suitorette. It is unavoidable and I wouldn't be particualarly concerned about what they believed in the past. The amusing part is that I wouldn't have to say a darn thing, lol. My consciousness is more than capable of "doing the talking" on its own and I'd wager that would get their attention.

That'd have to be one smart dude or dudette to keep up with you in the department upstairs, Paul. :) What if s/he demanded you attend the Church of Reality with them? :p Or worse yet, join the American Atheists league? Woah. I know personally I'd draw the line somewhere...

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Since I'm married, it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to date ANYONE else. :D

God forbid I were to find myself single, I would NOT date an atheist. For that matter, since my religious beliefs are important to me and I think couples that share a faith are better off, I would not date ANYONE whose believes were drastically different than mine.

logician

Just my opinion, but personality and looks might be the criteria most people would use, much more that religious affiliation or atheist persuasion.

Stellify

StarChild
I've dated an atheist before. He was very respectful of my beliefs and our religious (or lack thereof) differences never caused any problems.
I don't understand why some people are so dead-set against dating people who aren't of the same religion....I understand that a common belief can be a very good thing, but as long as both partners are respectful, differences like that should never get in the way of a meaningful relationship. You love someone for who they are as a whole, not just for their religious beliefs. If someone is different than you are, it doesn't mean that your own beliefs are in danger.:shrug:

Fluffy

A fool
What an completely empty love.

I don't see why it would be empty. I need a person to share my beliefs to a certain degree if I'm going to be attracted to them. I couldn't date somebody who wasn't okay with homosexuality for instance. They wouldn't need to be an atheist but then the issue of god is simply less important to atheists than it is to theists so I guess it would move up the list of priorities proportionally.

If I am understanding Vassal rightly in that it is a partner's values which matters (in this case Christian ones) over more wordly concerns then I can't think of anything less empty of love.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What if s/he demanded you attend the Church of Reality with them? :p Or worse yet, join the American Atheists league? Woah. I know personally I'd draw the line somewhere...
Yeah, that would likely fall under the banner heading of. "Houston, we have a problem". Seriously though, I may attend a silly church service to mingle a bit, but there is ZERO possibility that I would allign with any group. Curiously though, I wouldn't feel so put out with atheists. I know the role well, so I could act the part with ease. For how long would be the real question. :)

Jeremiah

I don't see why it would be empty. I need a person to share my beliefs to a certain degree if I'm going to be attracted to them. I couldn't date somebody who wasn't okay with homosexuality for instance. They wouldn't need to be an atheist but then the issue of god is simply less important to atheists than it is to theists so I guess it would move up the list of priorities proportionally.

If I am understanding Vassal rightly in that it is a partner's values which matters (in this case Christian ones) over more wordly concerns then I can't think of anything less empty of love.

He made it perfectly clear the he prioritizes potential mates by religious beliefs.

As a Christian, my potential wife's religious beliefs are the most important thing to me. It doesn't matter if she is otherwise the perfect woman for me.....

What if Romeo said "O wait she's a Capulet"? Shakespeare would have been out of a job and we would have been deny are great work of art.

What happen to "love knows no bounds"? Love has been categorized, prioritized and placed into little heart shaped boxes. Now if he can find a Christian woman that he can truly love than sweet! But a person should not make religion the deciding factor or they might miss a grand opportunity.

You can't chain love down or you might live the rest of your life wondering.

:d