• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danes - Biggest Alcohol Abusers On Earth

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I once got seriously hammered on vodka and orange

Because of this I developed an aversion to orange juice

Couldn't bare to drink it at all for more than ten years

I still find it a bit yucky
I understand.

I really don't care for dark rum. It was the first time I'd ever polished off a bottle in one sitting(maybe 20 years ago), and to this day, it still reminds me of vomit(because vomit certainly came).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
6 or more drinks in one sitting.
I'd need to do some serious training to do something that stupid.

MR-P11-DRINKING-TABLE-GRAPHIC-1.jpg

World’s happiest countries for 2023​

1. Finland

2. Denmark

3. Iceland

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

At first I misread that and thought "Only 6 in a month"? My limit is two if I drink. When I was younger I would tie one on now and then, and six drinks in one sitting would be an example of that. But I would be still below average for the US when it came to how many times a year I would go that far.

I cannot even think about six drinks in one night now.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
For me it was three or four beers a couple of times a week and with no driving involved when I first started drinking (train journey into London or local pub), but later when we had to drive to pubs we had a very trustworthy driver who took on the role, and with much the same consumption of alcohol. Fortunately where no mishaps occurred, and possibly before breathalysers were introduced. :oops:

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I understand.

I really don't care for dark rum. It was the first time I'd ever polished off a bottle in one sitting(maybe 20 years ago), and to this day, it still reminds me of vomit(because vomit certainly came).
That reminds me of a party many many many years ago in college. It was cheap vodka. You couldn't leave the room with alcohol in your bottle was a rule invented just for that part (it was only a rule for the room). The only time I ever remember being sick from drinking too much.

Orbit

I'm a planet

From the ages of 16 to maybe 25 I would drink quite a bit on occasion, and being in a rock band from the ages of 18-25 didn't help that situation. I did learn how to moderate my intake as I got older in order to avoid unpleasantness. These days I just drink wine with meals.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

South Koreans consume much more alcohol than any other group in the world. Alcoholic beverages are really cheap here.

The article above says that social drinking with co-workers is obligatory, but nobody has ever asked me to drink with them. Everybody who I work with knows that I’m a teetotaler for religious reasons.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I enjoy a good beer or some rum from time to time, but I've learned my lesson on excessive drinking. It did take 2 blackout escapades before that happened, though

exchemist

Veteran Member
In general. Where I am, or at least in Yorkshire where I grew up for a long period, 6 drinks seems fairly standard for get-togethers. People in the UK tend to get absolutely plastered when we drink, otherwise we don't see a point. Not sure if this has been your experience here.
Well I can testify to that, in your case............;)

But what do people means by a "drink"?

If it is a half pint of beer then sure, 3 pints is not unusual in a British pub session. I would not consider myself plastered at that stage (though I would then stop), but I would be what the French would call bien arrosé certainly. 6 units (1 unit = 10g alcohol) would also be about 2/3 bbl of wine, which would not be unusual to consume in the course of a dinner party, aperitifs included. And actually nobody would be really drunk as a result, because of the time over which it is drunk, and importantly, the food.

What I want to know is where are the Russians on this chart. Based on my, admittedly limited, experience in that country, I'd have thought they would be off the the scale........

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I can testify to that, in your case............;)

But what do people means by a "drink"?

If it is a half pint of beer then sure, 3 pints is not unusual in a British pub session. I would not consider myself plastered at that stage (though I would then stop), but I would be what the French would call bien arrosé certainly. 6 units (1 unit = 10g alcohol) would also be about 2/3 bbl of wine, which would not be unusual to consume in the course of a dinner party, aperitifs included. And actually nobody would be really drunk as a result, because of the time over which it is drunk, and importantly, the food.

What I want to know is where are the Russians on this chart. Based on my, admittedly limited, experience in that country, I'd have thought they would be off the the scale........
That's a good question, because if I had 6 glasses of rum and coke I'd be facing way more problems than the 3 glasses of wine I had that time!

I think generally in terms of beers, ales, less alcoholic drinks, 6 can be managed fairly well by people used to it. But 6 glasses of vodka might hit a bit different. From my experience most people tend to stick to the same few drinks; for me it's beer, rum, vodka and wine. My favourite is rum, but because of its high(er) alcohol content I usually stop at 3 at most. Beer I can do a lot more of. I think the type of drink depends on culture too; ale, beer, lager is much more a Germanic thing, an American thing etc. many other cultures like spirits, and others yet wine.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
That's a good question, because if I had 6 glasses of rum and coke I'd be facing way more problems than the 3 glasses of wine I had that time!

I think generally in terms of beers, ales, less alcoholic drinks, 6 can be managed fairly well by people used to it. But 6 glasses of vodka might hit a bit different. From my experience most people tend to stick to the same few drinks; for me it's beer, rum, vodka and wine. My favourite is rum, but because of its high(er) alcohol content I usually stop at 3 at most. Beer I can do a lot more of. I think the type of drink depends on culture too; ale, beer, lager is much more a Germanic thing, an American thing etc. many other cultures like spirits, and others yet wine.

Hence the saying "know your limits"

Unfortunately, people are prone to testing their limits when subjected to peer pressure. "Common Jeff, do shots with me!"

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hence the saying "know your limits"

Unfortunately, people are prone to testing their limits when subjected to peer pressure. "Common Jeff, do shots with me!"
It can be difficult when people are in a position.

With regards to what @exchemist mentioned above, I'd been on a train and got drunk on wine. I'd only wanted 2 glasses, but unbeknownst to me the lady I was with had bought me a third. Not wanting to be rude I just drank it. I also knew she doesn't have much money and was trying to give us a good time. The small size of the individual wine bottles was rather misleading as to their alcohol content.

Last edited:

Erebus

In general. Where I am, or at least in Yorkshire where I grew up for a long period, 6 drinks seems fairly standard for get-togethers. People in the UK tend to get absolutely plastered when we drink, otherwise we don't see a point. Not sure if this has been your experience here.

That's pretty much my experience.

I don't drink often anymore and restrict myself to 3 pints whenever I do. That makes me a lightweight among my friends.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
It can be difficult when people are in a position.

With regards to what @exchemist mentioned above, I'd been on a train and got drunk on wine. I'd only wanted 2 glasses, but unbeknownst to me the lady I was with had bought me a third. Not wanting to be rude I just drunk it. I also knew she doesn't have much money and was trying to give us a good time. The small size of the individual wine bottles was rather misleading as to their alcohol content.

That's tough! Honestly I woulda done the same

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Danes - Biggest Alcohol Abusers On Earth​

You would think @sun rise would have known this, or is he covering for them..... but then...it does explain this picture

justnuisancesleeping.jpg