• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban Missile Crisis II

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No. Syria is a pale shadow to Cuba. We're not even in the same ballpark to Cuba where one Soviet sub officer saved us from WWIII.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No. Syria is a pale shadow to Cuba. We're not even in the same ballpark to Cuba where one Soviet sub officer saved us from WWIII.

That is disputed, but I tend to believe it too. Still, Putin is probably a bit more unpredictable and worse than old Khrushchev in many ways - and it doesn't take long for things to escalate.

socharlie

Anyone who was around then recognise an equivalent situation developing over Syria? :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have a feeling that this is a game to raise oil prices as USA, Russia and Saudi Arabia produce over 30MM barrels of crude per day, and oil was sharply up with the crisis, not forgetting NK crisis just a few weeks ago.

Srivijaya

It will just amount to yet more bombs being dumped on Syria, as the big boys flex their muscles and give it some attitude. Perhaps this time it'll magically work (not).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see the situation in Russia as more similar.

When the USSR broke up we made a deal to keep NATO bases and nukes out of adjoining countries if Russia would let their satellite states go their own ways, independent of soviet control.

Russia kept its word, we didn't. Russia is now surrounded by NATO bases and nukes. It's no wonder they don't trust us. Can we blame them for building up their nuclear deterrent and wanting to rebuild their empire?

Considering how the US freaked out over one nuclear base on a nearby island where we had no jurisdiction, Russia's saber rattling seems pretty reserved.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I see the situation in Russia as more similar.

When the USSR broke up we made a deal to keep NATO bases and nukes out of adjoining countries if Russia would let their satellite states go their own ways, independent of soviet control.

Russia kept its word, we didn't. Russia is now surrounded by NATO bases and nukes. It's no wonder they don't trust us. Can we blame them for building up their nuclear deterrent and wanting to rebuild their empire?

Considering how the US freaked out over one nuclear base on a nearby island where we had no jurisdiction, Russia's saber rattling seems pretty reserved.
But... but that implies America should be held to the same standards as other countries!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I had just started work when the Cuban Missile Crisis kicked off, and the deadline aspect was really unnerving. I can remember the showdown being that tense that when it was resolved it came over the works Tannoy, to our relief. :rolleyes: I can't think of anything similar since then.

shmogie

That is disputed, but I tend to believe it too. Still, Putin is probably a bit more unpredictable and worse than old Khrushchev in many ways - and it doesn't take long for things to escalate.
Putin is a thug, but he is no fool. The Russian MO has always been to push and push at every boundary on every issue. This is another example of this. He miscalculated in thinking obama was the norm rather than an anomaly, thus the first gas attacks and retaliation. His pride was stung when he was surprised by the response. Nevertheless, the probing had to continue a year later, was the response just a one off ?

When you tell your kid to be in by 11;00 and they show up up at 11;45 they hope they can get away with it and have a precedent. If they are punished, they believe it was worth rolling the dice.

If putin wasn´t prepared to pay the price, if he had to, he would never have rolled the dice.

He just will continue probing looking for a weak spot he can exploit

David1967

Premium Member
Could this possibly have anything to do with it?

iran-iraq-syria-pipeline.jpg

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That is absolute rubbish. Khrushchev was far and away the worse of the two.

To the OP, there is absolutely no similarity between the events unfolding in Syria and the Cuban missile crisis (other than America and Russia are at odds). Putin is far, far less reactionary than Khrushchev (who was absolute dictator) of a system that was destroying his country. You can say that Putin is also a dictator but not to any degree that former heads of the Soviet Union were.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I have a feeling that this is a game to raise oil prices as USA, Russia and Saudi Arabia produce over 30MM barrels of crude per day, and oil was sharply up with the crisis, not forgetting NK crisis just a few weeks ago.
*America crashes through wall*
Did you just say.......OIL!?!?!

BSM1

What? Me worry?

To the OP, there is absolutely no similarity between the events unfolding in Syria and the Cuban missile crisis (other than America and Russia are at odds). Putin is far, far less reactionary than Khrushchev (who was absolute dictator) of a system that was destroying his country. You can say that Putin is also a dictator but not to any degree that former heads of the Soviet Union were.

Putin my have taken off his shirt but he wouldn't dare take off a shoe...just sayin'.

socharlie

Putin is not exactly dictator. Over 60% voted for him. He is basically liked over there.