1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could a woman President actually be good for America?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Jonathan Bailey, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,326
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I agree in principle but when you have generations of people made dependent on the government lam I tend to get suspicious.

2. Jonathan Bailey

Jonathan Bailey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Religion:
    Considering getting back into the fold: coming home to Jesus in an Affirmed Church this time. Somewhere between an agnostic and an atheist. Questioning my faith and religion.
    I say give a WOMAN a shot at TWH.

**mod edit**

a Woman Prez

What does America really have to lose?
    It's worth a try.

#62 Jonathan Bailey, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  3. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,502
    Why is it that the rest of the developed world (i.e. don't go citing 3rd world countries as counter examples) doesn't have these supposed problems?

4. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,688
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Hey, it's where I live. :) I've had some good lutefisk at the Swedish Institute (even though I'm Norwegian); make homemade lefse, but the only accordion music I like is Zydeco, but that's not really from around here. Aside from that, it's a fairly progressive state, so I'm happy here, you betcha.

What do you call 20 accordions at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. anna b.

anna b. Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Ratings:
    +122
    Religion:
    Catholic
    For white people, maybe...

6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +22,462
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I grew up there. And it was colder when I lived there. A few years back there were headlines when an arctic blast sent temperature tumbling to -20. My reaction? So what. It used to get that cold every winter. We called it "January". My brother disagreed with me and since we were at his place I told him to look it up on his computer. He came back and said that I was correct. From the 1960's to 1980 very cold winters were the norm. The coldest that I ever saw in Minneapolis was -29 one winter. I was out in it without a hat or gloves (I did have a very good scarf). My eyeglasses iced up so I had to take them off. Then the cold air caused my eyes to water a little bit and every time that I blinked my eyelashes would freeze shut for a fraction of a second. Man, that was cold!

7. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,917
    Religion:
    Love
    Oh there are some, no doubt about it at all, who grow up believing that their lives will be dependent. This is true both of the poor and the very rich who depend on trust funds. Dependency is indeed a problem among some.

I help out sometimes with a project designed to take a few kids and give them experiences designed to help them see beyond their upbringing. When you run into a child who lives 2 blocks from the ocean but has never played on the beach (true story in Myrtle Beach), giving the kids a chance to have normal experiences of playing in the ocean, having a good meal, getting some toys, and being shown that people think highly of them can at least for some change their lives. https://www.followingfrancis.one/francisinthedunes

8. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,688
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Yes, without proper preparation, you're doomed. I'm in the cities now, but grew up 120 miles further north of here. -30 was a frequent temp, some days hitting lower than that, -35 to -38. That was frigid, to the say the least. My story of a night with temps that low, it was the middle of the night, working at a lone radio station up north way. I headed into town to pick up some grub at a gas station and headed back to the station. My car stalled about a half mile away. Stupidly, in my naive youth, I thought I should run to the station to get out of the bitter cold. And so I did.

Never have I felt the pain of what it is to freeze your lungs, breathing heavily and sucking that death-knife into your lungs. I learned my lesson. Next time, just walk and think warm thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +22,462
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Let's not forget the blizzards. I spent a fair amount of time growing up on a Grade B dairy farm that my father bought about thirty miles south of Minneapolis. He did not buy it as a farm, but more as a place to raise a family. He still worked in the city. Our driveway was half a mile long and one winter when it was really blowing my Dad's Ford LTD station wagon got stuck about half way to the house. He decided he better pull the aerial up, just in case. The next day there was no sign of the car. Nothing. Just a giant big flat snowdrift. My brother was standing on top of the car when the aerial was finally spotted. We had a neighbor with an industrial snowblower that fit on the front of his tractor, but we still had to dig around the car by hand so that he would not hit it.

But yes, northern Minnesota was often ten degrees colder than what we had in the south Quite a large difference for not the long of a distance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,688
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    I miss the days of orange tennis balls on top of the antenas, with those awesome rear-wheel drive beasts that got stuck in everything. Oh for the days when we road our snowmobiles into work. I love that he was on top of the car, when he found it. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  11. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,736
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    Poverty isn't just a lack of money, it's a lack of hope. A perceived lack of possibility.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +26,983
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    What is this "dream" we are allegedly entitled to? Dreams are dreams. Foreigners have done nothing to economically harm lazy or hard working Americans.

13. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +26,983
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Military isn't just working any job full time.

14. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Source?

Only looking at the results tends to ignore the why factor. If 38% has a lot of students then your post is deceptive as their low wages is due to their own choice to attend a post-secondary school.

#74 Shad, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  15. Earthtank

Earthtank Active Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Religion:
    Deist
    We have had white guys, a black guy and now an orange guy, I highly doubt being a woman means she will be better/worse simply because she is a woman.

16. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,005
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Policy and character matter not one's sex.