• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate Statue pulled down by Protesters, Durham, North Carolina

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Here's a quick recap from the Declaration of Independence.
w.gif

hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

At the time the War Between the States began, my Unionist state, Indiana, had a constitution forbidding the settling or land ownership of blacks. The killing of indigenous people was seen as more similar to protecting your livestock from wolves than murder.
Northern Christians didn't care much at all about nonwhites, and neither did most southerners. Few southerners could afford the capitalist investment that a slave represented.
The war was a clash between cultures, the southern aristocracy and the northern industrialists. But, of course, to get the little people involved in fighting their wars the wealthy elite had to pretend that it was about God and Morality.
Tom
Eta ~As the victors, the Northern industrialists got to write the history books. ~

Last edited:

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Lets burn any offensive books while we're at it too.
images

That's an odd takeaway from my statement. I'm in favor of keeping the statue up, and not resorting to mob rule. Is it okay for legally elected legislators to remove a statue and replace it with something else? Sure. . . That happens ALL the time.

Conflating book burning with the desire to go through actual legal channels to remove some statue off of government property is a weird leap for you to make.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Here's a quick recap from the Declaration of Independence.

At the time the War Between the States began, my Unionist state, Indiana, had a constitution forbidding the settling or land ownership of blacks. The killing of indigenous people was seen as more similar to protecting your livestock from wolves than murder.
Northern Christians didn't care much at all about nonwhites, and neither did most southerners. Few southerners could afford the capitalist investment that a slave represented.
The war was a clash between cultures, the southern aristocracy and the northern industrialists. But, of course, to get the little people involved in fighting their wars the wealthy elite had to pretend that it was about God and Morality.
Tom

True still, even in these times, that the left rarely recognizes it is simply a pawn being played by the true evils of the world. Certainly, there are bad eggs on either side but rarely does the right place too much faith in a single figure - unless his name is Ronald Reagan or Abraham Lincoln. :D

As far as the historical revisionism, I reject it only on this one basis:

A great man is never judged by his faults, but his successes and contributions to the ultimate good. Robert E. Lee could have decided to pursue the war to the destruction of the entire south, he didn't. His contributions AFTER the Civil War are much more notable, as he was the glue that mended the country back together. So should we remember him for his error, or celebrate him for his effort to keep us whole?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's an odd takeaway from my statement. I'm in favor of keeping the statue up, and not resorting to mob rule. Is it okay for legally elected legislators to remove a statue and replace it with something else? Sure. . . That happens ALL the time.

Conflating book burning with the desire to go through actual legal channels to remove some statue off of government property is a weird leap for you to make.

I thought you were being sarcastic in saying getting it done right. As in making it legal to destroy offensive objects. I was adding to the sarcasm, I thought.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Probably not.

@DavidFirth

I am thankful that people are offended, it's the surest sign that their stupidity has finally come to its ultimate fruition. They're not mad are you for what they disagree with as much as they are trying to justify their own confirmation biases existence. As long as you realize that, you can just point and laugh... Like I do... :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree with Father Heathen. It should be the local community's prerogative to decide what art is displayed in their public spaces and what meaning that art has to them. Tearing down statues unlawfully circumvents a fair process and sets a bad precedent, in my view. There has to be a better way.
The issue in North Carolina is that the state has taken the right away from local governments to decide what art is displayed in their own public spaces.

It doesn't circumvent any "fair process" because there is no other process, short of getting the state legislature to pass a special law allowing the monument to be moved, which I wouldn't call "fair".

The North Carolina law banning the removal of these monuments was the circumventing of a fair process. Tearing down the monument was circumventing this circumvention. Not ideal, but predictable, IMO.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The issue in North Carolina is that the state has taken the right away from local governments to decide what art is displayed in their own public spaces.
North Carolina is a democracy, unlike the USA.
The voters could decide to elect public officials to get rid of the statues, if they want that.
I have 2 warnings, dude. So far.
I've got 15 points and 20 some warnings. IIRC.
My first warning on RF was for proselytizing Catholicism. And I've gotten others for posting in the Liberal Only DIR.
So there.
Tom
ETA~I just broke another rule by mentioning that. ~

DavidFirth

North Carolina is a democracy, unlike the USA.
The voters could decide to elect public officials to get rid of the statues, if they want that.

I've got 15 points and 20 some warnings. IIRC.
My first warning on RF was for proselytizing Catholicism. And I've gotten others for posting in the Liberal Only DIR.
So there.
Tom
ETA~I just broke another rule by mentioning that. ~

You were proselytizing Catholicism? For real?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I enjoy offending people. Just ask the staff of RF. I probably have the best ratio of infraction points to frubals in recent RF history.
@DavidFirth looks like my closest competitor.
Tom

Heh, the sad thing is the thought police don't even know they're being played by the axis of evil. Freedom is all inclusive, or it's not existent. The mods are 100% left, so expect to be modded more. I just adapt, because someone else's dysfunction isn't my problem to solve. :D