• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confederate Statue pulled down by Protesters, Durham, North Carolina

Laika

Premium Member

Daemon Sophic

1 down, roughly 300 to go.

The city police and those good citizens were wise to take it down, before some violent racist pig-**** rally form up their goose-stepping ranks, or let dim-witted politicins debate the obvious for a few months before taking it down.
giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** STAFF REMINDER ***

Rule 6 is a thing - don't be encouraging illegal activities.

6. Illegal Activities
Advocating or discussing personal engagement in illegal activities or criminal organizations (such as hate groups or terrorist groups) is prohibited in all areas of RF. Illegal activities are defined based on United States law, and include but are not limited to: drug use, theft, piracy, vandalism, and all violent crimes. Voicing opposition to illegal activities and criminal organizations, or debating changes to current criminal law, may be acceptable at the discretion of the RF staff.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was thinking exactly the same myself.
I disagree what the statue has come to stand for but destroy it because it offends you??
I vehemently oppose elective feticide. But I don't think that gives me license to vandalize abortion clinics.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was thinking exactly the same myself.
I disagree what the statue has come to stand for but destroy it because it offends you??
History must be destroyed if it offends anyone.
After all, we don't want anyone triggered by being reminded of our past.
We should also remove the Washington Monuments (DC & Baltimore), the
Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, & the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial.
Those memorialized did terrible things which should be forgotten.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Are we okay with religious extremists destroying statues and graven images in the Middle East?

Then why would you be okay with this? Let's vote. Let's win some dang elections in these southern states and get it done right.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Outside Durham County Courthouse, North Carolina, Protesters pulled down a statue of a Confederate Soldier dedicated to the Confederate States of America. Durham police later said they monitored the protests to make sure they were “safe,” but did not interfere with the statue toppling because it happened on county property.

Links here:

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

SEE IT: Crowd pulls down Confederate statue in North Carolina

Thoughts?

Can we start on the religious statues next?

161436459.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are we okay with religious extremists destroying statues and graven images in the Middle East?

Then why would you be okay with this? Let's vote. Let's win some dang elections in these southern states and get it done right.

Lets burn any offensive books while we're at it too.
images

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The local police were there, they were monitoring the protest, it was the courthouse property which belongs to the local community there, so I don't see why I, here in Montana, should worry about this. No one was hurt, no one was arrested, no one's rights are being violated. Seems like a non-issue to me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No one was hurt, no one was arrested, no one's rights are being violated. Seems like a non-issue to me.
I disagree that it's a non-issue.
A violent mob destroyed public property. I don't think that their ideology makes that a non-issue. The fact that there are multiple videos means that the perps should be easy to identify and prosecute and extract reparations from.
Tom

DavidFirth

Maybe such things should be put in a museum where people who want to see them can see them and people who do not want to see them can simply ignore that museum.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
History must be destroyed if it offends anyone.
After all, we don't want anyone triggered by being reminded of our past.
We should also remove the Washington Monuments (DC & Baltimore), the
Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, & the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial.
Those memorialized did terrible things which should be forgotten.

I'm very much not in favour of selective memory, or destroying history. Quite the contrary.
It's worth noting, though, that this particular part of history was erected 59 years after the end of the war, by a group more dedicated to a biased recollection of history than an accurate one.
Rather than in a contemplative garden or cemetery, it sat in front of a courthouse.

I guess it's possible to believe the statue was only in memory of the fallen, and nothing else, but it would require a more generous assessment of the people who erected it than I would be willing to give.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I disagree that it's a non-issue.
A violent mob destroyed public property. I don't think that their ideology makes that a non-issue. The fact that there are multiple videos means that the perps should be easy to identify and prosecute and extract reparations from.
Tom

A violent mob? Hyperbolize much?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm very much not in favour of selective memory, or destroying history. Quite the contrary.
It's worth noting, though, that this particular part of history was erected 59 years after the end of the war, by a group more dedicated to a biased recollection of history than an accurate one.
Rather than in a contemplative garden or cemetery, it sat in front of a courthouse.

I guess it's possible to believe the statue was only in memory of the fallen, and nothing else, but it would require a more generous assessment of the people who erected it than I would be willing to give.
I'd prefer adding a display to the statue,
one which educates with context.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets burn any offensive books while we're at it too.
images

If Mein Kampf was stapled to the front of the court house door, I might think it a bad sign were I a Jewish defendant. And no, I'm not suggesting that is the same as this. I am merely suggesting that removing all context from any discussions is cheap and of no utility.