• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comparison of Christianity and Judaism

outhouse

Atheistically
PROSELYTE - JewishEncyclopedia.com

According to Josephus there prevailed in his day among the inhabitants of both Greek and barbarian cities ("Contra Ap." ii., § 39) a great zeal for the Jewish religion. This statement refers to Emperor Domitian's last years, two decades after Jerusalem's fall. It shows that throughout the Roman empire Judaism had made inroads upon the pagan religions. Latin writers furnish evidence corroborating this. It is true that Tacitus ("Hist." iv. 5) is anxious to convey the impression that only the most despicable elements of the population were found among these converts to Judaism; but this is amply refuted by other Roman historians, as Dio Cassius (67, 14, 68), Cicero ("Pro Flacco," § 28), Horace ("Satires," i. 9, 69; iv. 142), and Juvenal (xiv. 96).

And these are the exact people who became and were early movement members

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Then Eastern Orthodoxy is Pelagian.
Given that it rejects Augustinian Theology, it is necessarily Pelagian
this really :D:Dthrills me

Good question. Jesus didn't save mankind from anything
given that there is freewill
No, we are not Pelagian. Pelagianism has been condemned by Eastern Orthodoxy as a heresy.

Just because we reject Augustinian theology doesn't mean that we automatically accept Pelagian theology. Pelagianism is as wrong as Augustinianism, because both go to heretical extremes, just in the opposite directions. Orthodoxy is neither Augustinian nor Pelagian.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Interesting.

Yes, sacrifice was part of the process of repentance and absolution from sin; but only a part. One still had to do teshuvah (the full process of repentance-- including but not limited to making reparations for what one has done and accepting consequences of one's actions), make a confessional prayer to God, and participate in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement). The Rabbis teach us that while sacrifice in general was important, prayer serves equally well if not better in the process of attaining absolution from sins.
The process is essentialy identical in Orthodoxy; we repent (i.e. change our hearts and minds), seek forgiveness from those we have wronged and do what we can to right our wrong, confess our sins to God, and go to confession and receive absolution from Christ through the priest. As far as the sacrifice part, we already have Jesus' sacrifice, so no need to have a new one.

So, for you guys, are people born sinners? And do you consider the only way for anyone to achieve full absolution from their sins have to do with Jesus' sacrifice?
We are born with the consequences of Adam's sin (sickness, mortality, suffering and a heavy inclination to sin). We become sinners by living under the influence of other sinful human beings--the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, as the saying goes.

I believe that anyone can be saved as long as they live according to what they know of God, don't outright reject Jesus, and do their best to be virtuous people. Jesus had the power to forgive sins, and it's through the cross that we are reconciled to God, since it is through His death and Resurrection that the relational gap between God and man caused by our sin is bridged. Jesus did say that no one comes to the Father except through Him, so however we get to God, whether inside His Church or outside of it, goes through Jesus in some way, shape or form, however that happens.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Orthodoxy is neither Augustinian nor Pelagian.

Well...you Orthodox should make a choice. This sounds a typical attitude of someone who doesn't want to take a side.

besides, if something isn't black...it is white
It's Aristotelian Logic: if grace doesn't save us...we are automatically saved by our freewill.
Pardon us, if we are going off topic

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Well...you Orthodox should make a choice. This sounds a typical attitude of someone who doesn't want to take a side.
Orthodoxy existed before either Pelagianism or Augustinianism. Just because the two camps each went off the rails doesn't mean we should, too. Both Pelagianism and Augustinianism are deviations from the teachings of the Apostles and the Prophets, as can be easily proven by even a cursory knowledge of Scripture. You don't even need the New Testament. All you need is the Tanakh to disprove both.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Orthodoxy existed before either Pelagianism or Augustinianism. Just because the two camps each went off the rails doesn't mean we should, too. Both Pelagianism and Augustinianism are deviations from the teachings of the Apostles and the Prophets, as can be easily proven by even a cursory knowledge of Scripture. You don't even need the New Testament. All you need is the Tanakh to disprove both.

But Christianity is not based upon prophets or upon apostles. Apostles' statements are worth less than zero. (and Paul was a very fallible person).

Christianity is exclusively based upon Christ's teachings, and so therefore exclusively based upon Christ's parables.
And Christ's parables say that we will save ourselves through our merits, not through our words.
The typical parable that proves that is this:

Matthew, 21, 28
28“What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
29“ ‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
30“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
31“Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
“The first,” they answered.

xkatz

But Christianity is not based upon prophets or upon apostles. Apostles' statements are worth less than zero. (and Paul was a very fallible person).

So the Apostles' testimonies of Jesus are worthless?

I may not be a Christian but that doesn't seem to add up to me...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So the Apostles' testimonies of Jesus are worthless?

I may not be a Christian but that doesn't seem to add up to me...

well, good observation. There is a big difference between the parables, which directly come from Jesus' mouth, and philosophical\theological affirmations made by apostles like Paul.
Paul was a fallible person. He said right things and wrong things. he never met Jesus. He said that women have no right to speak in assemblies. Do you think this statement is divinely inspired? I don't

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Then what would the Gospels be?

I am seriously confused now :p

The gospels have nothing to do with any Galilean apostles.

They were written by unknown Hellenist in the empire writing to and for Romans.

What amounts to Jesus enemies in my opinion.

xkatz

The gospels have nothing to do with any Galilean apostles.

They were written by unknown Hellenist in the empire writing to and for Romans.

What amounts to Jesus enemies in my opinion.
I am speaking about the Christian understanding of the Gospels, however. From my understanding, the Gospels are the Apostles accounts of Jesus.

Shiranui117

Premium Member

Christianity is exclusively based upon Christ's teachings, and so therefore exclusively based upon Christ's parables.
And Christ's parables say that we will save ourselves through our merits, not through our words.
The typical parable that proves that is this:
What Jesus taught, the Apostles preached and the Fathers kept.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
IMO, Paul was using a lot of symbolism versus literal and was quite imaginative. Not that I agree with him, mind you.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Wrong. The apostles were spreading Xy long before the gospels were written. We have an apostolic faith -- not a biblical faith. Not all Xtians had access to all gospels. There wasn't even a bible settled upon for 450 years of the church. The apostles' teaching has always been paramount in considering orthodoxy and orthopraxy.

outhouse

Atheistically
What Jesus taught, the Apostles preached and the Fathers kept.

Not really.

Do you think all of John the Baptists parables and teachings were lost?

Or were they all included in the gospels?

We do not kno wthe apostles preached anyting. Jesus Jewish movement died with Jesus.

His death was martyred and Hellenist found importance in this martyrdom, and the mythoogy grew in the Diaspora. It did not grow in Israel.

The gospels are only a reflection of the movement 40 years and later after his martyrdom. It does not reflect the Galilean movement.

Some of the parables have the possibility to go back to Galilee under Aramiac Judaism typical to Galilee. Words that originated with Jesus are impossible to know.

If he only had a 1-3 year ministry beofre his death, he was only repeating the local Judaism taught to him by John.

We have Johns teachings more so then jesus