• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change: Greenland's ice sheets have passed the point of no return

Tambourine

Greenland's melting ice sheet has 'passed the point of no return,' scientists say, dooming it to disappear

Greenland's ice sheet may have hit a tipping point that sets it on an irreversible path to completely disappearing.

Snowfall that normally replenishes Greenland's glaciers each year can no longer keep up with the pace of ice melt, according to researchers at Ohio State University. That means that the Greenland ice sheet — the world's second-largest ice body — would continue to lose ice even if global temperatures stop rising.

In their study, published Thursday in the journal Nature, the scientists reviewed 40 years of monthly satellite data from more than 200 large glaciers that are draining into the ocean across Greenland.

"What we've found is that the ice that's discharging into the ocean is far surpassing the snow that's accumulating on the surface of the ice sheet," Michalea King, the study's lead author and researcher at Ohio State University's Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, said in a press release.

So, we have reached our first point of no return in terms of climate change. The Arctic ice sheets are now melting faster than they can freeze, causing sea levels to rise. From this point on, things are only going to get worse:

There are more points of no return

The amount of ice Greenland loses each year has steadily increased in the last two decades. Before 2000, the researchers found, the ice sheet had an equal chance of gaining or losing mass each year. But in the climate of the last 20 years, it will only gain mass one in every 100 years, the researchers found.

Greenland dumped an unprecedented amount of ice and water into the ocean during the summer of 2019, when a heat wave from Europe washed over the island. The ice sheet lost 55 billion tons of water over five days — enough to cover the state of Florida in almost five inches of water.

Melt brings about more melt, as water pooling across the ice sheet absorbs more sunlight and further heats everything around it. That's why tipping points like Greenland's accelerate ice loss so much.

Rising global temperatures and certain human activities can bring about tipping points in other parts of the world, too.

In the Arctic, ice melt is exposing permafrost — frozen soil that releases powerful greenhouse gases when it thaws. If warming thaws enough permafrost, the gases released will trap heat faster than humans' fossil-fuel emissions.

In the Amazon rainforest, humans have been cutting and burning trees for years, allowing moisture to escape the ecosystem. Enough deforestation could trigger a process called "dieback," in which the rainforest would dry up, burn, and become a savanna-like landscape, releasing up to 140 billion tons of carbon into the atmosphere. Last year, leading rainforest scientists warned that the Amazon is "teetering on the edge" of that threshold.

I'm sure some of you are already giddy about the coming apocalypse, convinced to be among the few Righteous that will be Saved By God or whatever.

Of course, the reality will look quite different from those religious empowerment fantasies: Instead of a spectacular apocalypse that brings the fear of god in all those evolutionists and scientists you dislike so much, but for the majority of Earth's population, there will be no end point, no doomsday, no antichrist, no lake of fire.

Instead, what we are going to get is a long, slow, tedious march towards ever greater misery, over several generations, each one more deprived of necessary resources and quality of life than the last.

And all because us humans were collectively kicking our heels for the past 30 years instead of making even minimal changes and implementing even tiny steps of reforms that could have prevented this.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
While the outlook is not promising (to add another piece of great news, "president" dumpster fire is trying to permit fossil fuel extraction in Alaska as we speak), let's not get overly grim here.

Humans as a species survived for tens of thousands of years without all of the technologies that got the planet into this mess to begin with. The "quality of life" we enjoy today is obesely extravagant and unnecessary. As a species, we will do fine without it once all these needless toys of mass ecological destruction are gone. We did perfectly fine without it for the vast majority of our existence.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
While the outlook is not promising (to add another piece of great news, "president" dumpster fire is trying to permit fossil fuel extraction in Alaska as we speak), let's not get overly grim here.

Humans as a species survived for tens of thousands of years without all of the technologies that got the planet into this mess to begin with. The "quality of life" we enjoy today is obesely extravagant and unnecessary. As a species, we will do fine without it once all these needless toys of mass ecological destruction are gone. We did perfectly fine without it for the vast majority of our existence.

I am confident that human beings, as a species, will survive climate change. However, I expect in the process that many people will suffer and die, areas of the planet will become uninhabitable to us (either because of heat or because of rising sea levels), causing millions of people to be displaced, and conflict/war will erupt over shortage of resources. Advancement of renewable energy technology or other tech to reverse the damage we've done is really the only way I see out of this mess.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

But many of the millions today couldn't survive a week without a supermarket.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And all because us humans were collectively kicking our heels for the past 30 years instead of making even minimal changes and implementing even tiny steps of reforms that could have prevented this.

I see there are many that are trying and offer to others the required path to a lasting change.

The change will happen.

Regards Tony

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I am confident that human beings, as a species, will survive climate change. However, I expect in the process that many people will suffer and die, areas of the planet will become uninhabitable to us (either because of heat or because of rising sea levels), causing millions of people to be displaced, and conflict/war will erupt over shortage of resources. Advancement of renewable energy technology or other tech to reverse the damage we've done is really the only way I see out of this mess.

I guess as a student of ecology, I see many other "ways out" though that is probably the wrong way to frame it. I think that kind of escapist thinking problematic, whether it is hoping for some technological savior or some divine savior. Escapist narratives deny the basic nature of our universe - that change or creation/destruction is constant. Humans are not immune from this, but this runs contrary to what the widely-beloved myth of progress tells so many look to escapist myths so they can keep holding to the myth of progress too.

I suppose this is another way of saying that the "way out" is to accept that change will happen and there is no escape. Instead, one can focus on adapting change. Letting go. Realizing that "civilization" may not actually be all that after all. And so on. Maybe take a lesson from religions that teach non-attachment. :D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think we should take all the climate change deniers and put them in Death Valley but without any AC.:p

Eyes to See

The Bible, thousands of years ago, foretold a time that humankind would be bringing the earth to ruin. There is no way the prophet could have known then during the end that is exactly what would be happening:

"But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came for the dead to be judged and to reward your slaves the prophets and the holy ones and those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”-Revelation 11:18.

The fact that we see humankind ruining the earth as they are today, along with many other signs is proof Bible prophecy is reliable and true. And is an indication that the time to "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" is very very close at hand.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess as a student of ecology, I see many other "ways out" though that is probably the wrong way to frame it. I think that kind of escapist thinking problematic, whether it is hoping for some technological savior or some divine savior. Escapist narratives deny the basic nature of our universe - that change or creation/destruction is constant. Humans are not immune from this, but this runs contrary to what the widely-beloved myth of progress tells so many look to escapist myths so they can keep holding to the myth of progress too.

I suppose this is another way of saying that the "way out" is to accept that change will happen and there is no escape. Instead, one can focus on adapting change. Letting go. Realizing that "civilization" may not actually be all that after all. And so on. Maybe take a lesson from religions that teach non-attachment. :D

For me, as someone who works in healthcare/public health, I don't see it as fulfilling some destiny of progress. I see it as a pragmatic and ethical question of how to reduce suffering and death. "Non-attachment" should not be an excuse for fatalism or inaction, when we know for a fact that what we do/don't do can literally save people's lives and leave the planet a better place. Change is certainly inevitable, but the direction of that change is, to some degree, in our control as individuals and as a society.

Tambourine

The vast majority of humanity's existence was a miserable struggle against starvation and disease.
I really don't look forward to living in those glory days.

Mitty

Last edited:

Milton Platt

So, we have reached our first point of no return in terms of climate change. The Arctic ice sheets are now melting faster than they can freeze, causing sea levels to rise. From this point on, things are only going to get worse:

I'm sure some of you are already giddy about the coming apocalypse, convinced to be among the few Righteous that will be Saved By God or whatever.

Of course, the reality will look quite different from those religious empowerment fantasies: Instead of a spectacular apocalypse that brings the fear of god in all those evolutionists and scientists you dislike so much, but for the majority of Earth's population, there will be no end point, no doomsday, no antichrist, no lake of fire.

Instead, what we are going to get is a long, slow, tedious march towards ever greater misery, over several generations, each one more deprived of necessary resources and quality of life than the last.

On grand things which are difficult and carry high political and monetary cost, action is never taken until catastrophe is imminent.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

So, wouldn't it going back to what it used to be a good thing? If not, why?

Ancient Greenland Was Actually Green | Live Science

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Its got me wondering if Greenland had this happen before.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its got me wondering if Greenland had this happen before.
The planet has gone thru a bunch'o climate changes.
Our current climate is the only correct one.

Seriously though, the real problem is all the upheaval
that change will cause...not that there is any climate
that Earth is supposed to have.
I'd rather see it remain as it is for a whole host of reasons.