• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citizenship

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
A word I haven't heard from any political party employed in major speech in a loooong time, but I was happy to hear tonight from our President.

Just curious, as I invite any any all to provide their own understandings, definitions, arguments, or implementations of what citizenship entails, what it means, what it affords, and what responsibilities and accountabilities come with association.

I do not deem this a "trick" or "gotcha" question, with any delineated "right or wrong" reply...

I am truly curious as to what "citizenship" means to you...personally...

(If the thread survives and endures at least 10 original posts, I'll lend my own answer to the OP) :)

Alceste

Vagabond
For me, it entails informed involvement in the democratic process, which I take to mean more than voting. I do my best to be involved in my community, to contribute my talents and perspective to projects that enhance our quality of life. I do what I can to help defend the commons from predation by profiteers. The legal status gives me rights and entitlements that those who are not citizens can not enjoy, or at least not yet, like health care, unemployment insurance, education and such like, but that's secondary to the first thing.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
for me, it entails informed involvement in the democratic process, which i take to mean more than voting. I do my best to be involved in my community, to contribute my talents and perspective to projects that enhance our quality of life. I do what i can to help defend the commons from predation by profiteers. The legal status gives me rights and entitlements that those who are not citizens can not enjoy, or at least not yet, like health care, unemployment insurance, education and such like, but that's secondary to the first thing.

ty

:)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I am an admirer of the term citizenship because, to me, it implies equality and a progressive, inclusive approach to politics and society.

Far too often I hear politicians choosing instead to use the term 'taxpayer' - that drives me nuts.

Alceste

Vagabond
I am an admirer of the term citizenship because, to me, it implies equality and a progressive, inclusive approach to politics and society.

Far too often I hear politicians choosing instead to use the term 'taxpayer' - that drives me nuts.

Even "taxpayer" is better than "consumer". That one enrages me so much I pretty much boycott everything, just to prove a point.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Citizenship denotes a position of legitimacy in the political process, and ensures that the citizen has a vested role in the nation.

Unfortunately what that means in real terms varies by nation, and often even within nations. In some places it does mean a great deal, but it can be almost worthless in others.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
To be a citizen of a country is to me a social, unspoken contract between you and the country you're part of. This "contract" basically agrees that you will do the very best you can to benefit the country, and the country (i.e. the government and other citizens) will do the best they can to help you achieve that. It's an agreement to support all others who call themselves citizens, and expectation to receive the same support in turn.

... or something like that.

It's late... I need sleeps.

But what of a citizen of earth?
Should we all do the very best we can to benefit the earth and the people that live upon it in whatever way we can? Should we expect to receive the support we might need to do so?

I think so.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
For me, it entails informed involvement in the democratic process, which I take to mean more than voting. I do my best to be involved in my community, to contribute my talents and perspective to projects that enhance our quality of life. I do what I can to help defend the commons from predation by profiteers. The legal status gives me rights and entitlements that those who are not citizens can not enjoy, or at least not yet, like health care, unemployment insurance, education and such like, but that's secondary to the first thing.

Is it not being miserly?

Wirey

Fartist
A word I haven't heard from any political party employed in major speech in a loooong time, but I was happy to hear tonight from our President.

Just curious, as I invite any any all to provide their own understandings, definitions, arguments, or implementations of what citizenship entails, what it means, what it affords, and what responsibilities and accountabilities come with association.

I do not deem this a "trick" or "gotcha" question, with any delineated "right or wrong" reply...

I am truly curious as to what "citizenship" means to you...personally...

(If the thread survives and endures at least 10 original posts, I'll lend my own answer to the OP) :)

It means smugly assuming that since I was fortunate enough to have Canadian parents that I'm entitled to be in the top one percentile of wealthy people on earth.

Alceste

Vagabond
Is it not being miserly?

It's being organized. There is a process for becoming a citizen, and I don't consider it onerous. My husband is going through it now, and I've been in his position in his country. Getting into this country in the first place is onerous, but once you're here you're in the citizenship pipeline automatically.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
To me it denotes that I am part of a community and that I have obligations towards that community; to be a useful and productive member of that society and to help it when I can. In return I expect the community to help and support me when I need it to. To me an important part of this involves being informed on the different issues that can affect the community.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To me it denotes that I am part of a community and that I have obligations towards that community; to be a useful and productive member of that society and to help it when I can. In return I expect the community to help and support me when I need it to. To me an important part of this involves being informed on the different issues that can affect the community.

I agree with you.

esmith

Veteran Member
Citizenship: from Dictionary.com
noun
1. the state of being vested with the rights, privileges, and duties of a citizen.
2. the character of an individual viewed as a member of society; behavior in terms of the duties, obligations, and functions of a citizen.

Pretty well sums it up in my opinion. However, what are the "rights", "privileges", and "duties"? To me, those are the big questions.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Citizenship generally entails that a being has certain civil liberties and allotted involement in the political process of their country, though I'm not sure how universally this description can be applied. The responsibilities I think entail, to say most succinctly, one to be active in the political process and to consider heavily the ramifications for the whole citizenry in said activity.