• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
sorry you you cannot see what Jesus want you to do as His follower, if you are.
You have not shown that Jesus is against people being in the military.

I dont ignore, I interpret contextually with what Jesus says. Your interpretation does not harmonize with Jesus' word which I quoted in the OP.
I find your dishonesty disgusting.

rusra02

Premium Member
You are correct. I believe Jesus true followers have love among themselves, and love their neighbor as themselves, and would never take up arms against others. (John 13:34,35)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Where? reference? Please copy and paste.

blessings.

(NIV)

Matthew - 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[a][b] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[c] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 23:17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

Luke 11:40 You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Meshak

(NIV)

Matthew - 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[a][b] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[c] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 23:17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

Luke 11:40 You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?

Remember Jesus is perfect and sinless so He can judge anyone. But we are so sinful and imperfect, so Jesus does not allow us to call anyone "fool".

Jesus also judges all of us but He does not allow us to judge another country by our own judgment. these are the same principle.

F0uad

Meshak i have a question how do you view the judgement day or the second coming of Jesus(pbuh)? Won't there be a war between Jesus(pbuh) and the ones that follow the Anti-Christ ''The beast''?

I think Jesus's(pbuh) message was indeed to protect yourself if your live or that of your families are on stack. Moreover the military is seen as protectors what i off-course don't consider the American army to be.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Three things:

1. Jesus said blessed are the peace maker, he never said blessed are the peaceful.

2. as MeMyself pointed out, Jesus specifically instructed his disciples to sell their packs and go buy a sword.

3. Jesus wasn't very pacified when he was going all postal over the money changers.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was a Christian in the Navy. I only shot at targets twice and mostly only did cleaning and repair of communication devices. Not everyone who serves in the military are foot soldiers.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The miliary Christians get great support frum the non-believers too because USA is military country.

I don't believe the USA is anymore a military country than other countries. I was stationed in Italy at NATO and AFSouth (Armed Forces Southern Europe). I served with military from the UK, Canada, Greece, Turkey, Italy, etc. (This was back in the mid- 80s).

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Jesus himself said we owe some things to our leaders and others to God.

yes, and if God says to love your enemies, then that takes precedence over a governments request to participate in their war.

Early christians would not join the roman armies...thats quite a well recorded historical fact.

Meshak

Meshak i have a question how do you view the judgement day or the second coming of Jesus(pbuh)? Won't there be a war between Jesus(pbuh) and the ones that follow the Anti-Christ ''The beast''?

That is Jesus' battle. It is not ours.

I think Jesus's(pbuh) message was indeed to protect yourself if your live or that of your families are on stack. Moreover the military is seen as protectors what i off-course don't consider the American army to be.

The military is of this world. It will exist until Jesus starts reign on earth. Jesus also says let the dead bury their own dead. It sounds harsh but Jesus calls this world dead.
Jesus says His followers are not of this world. They should not have anything to do with violence.

Jesus and His disciples showed us good example to follow. They did not kill anyone for protection even though they were surrounded by many, many enemies.. Peter got rebuked by Jesus when he cut his enemy's ear.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
OP verses are awful lot, friend.
not really.
Seeing as Jesus never once specifically said a thing about the military you have to do an awful lot of gymnastics to make the claim that he was completely against it.

You cannot refute Jesus' commands.
It seems you are trying real hard to convince someone.
I just cannot help but wonder if it yourself more so than any one else.

Last edited by a moderator:

F0uad

That is Jesus' battle. It is not ours.
So why would Jesus(pbuh) ask us to kill them in-front of him? Luke 19:27
One more question do you belief that Jesus(pbuh) is god?

The military is of this world. It will exist until Jesus starts reign on earth. Jesus also says let the dead bury their own dead. It sounds harsh but Jesus calls this world dead.
Jesus says His followers are not of this world. They should not have anything to do with violence.
Well self-protecting is not violence in my eyes, so when your family is getting tortured or even worse you just stand by and do nothing?
(This is the impression i get here). Would you let Hitler rule over Europe?

Jesus and His disciples showed us good example to follow. They did not kill anyone for protection even though they were surrounded by many, many enemies.. Peter got rebuked by Jesus when he cut his enemy's ear.
If it was possible for Jesus(pbuh) and hes disciples don't you think they would self protect themselves? I am not talking about offensive but defensive..

As a side-note i agree that you can't be a American military and a Christian on the same time, since bombing and invading other countries while bankrupting your country with is not what Jesus(pbuh) taught.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
It is allowed in the most Christian community in USA.

Jesus says to "love your enemy", yet they come up with all kinds of excuses to justify this sinful practice by the churches. we dont love anyone by killing or destroying the country. It is that simple.

Here is what Jesus has to say:Luke 6:27-36 King James Version)

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.
30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32For if ye love them which love you what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34And if ye to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Fatheralso is merciful.

and some more:

Matthew 26:52
“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.

And His faithful disciple harmonize with Jesus' word:

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 corinthian 10:4-5)

Romans 12:17-21
17Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. 20Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

II Corinthians 10:3,4
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds."

Ephesians 6:12
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

PS: I hope I am allowed to speak against Christians practice military using Jesus' name.

I have been banned most forums because of my anti-mainstream convictions. My staying the same forum is 6 months average.

blessings

If you want to invest time blasting Christians for serving their country and protecting your freedoms, be my guest.

While you're at it, take a moment to acknowledge your own hypocrisy.

Meshak

If you want to invest time blasting Christians for serving their country and protecting your freedoms, be my guest.

Sorry, this thread is about "Jesus' servants" not "Your nation's servants"

While you're at it, take a moment to acknowledge your own hypocrisy.

How am I being hypocrite for serving Jesus? I am Jesus' servant.

Meshak

not really.
Seeing as Jesus never once specifically said a thing about the military you have to do an awful lot of gymnastics to make the claim that he was completely against it.
Ok, we will see who is working for satan soon enough. In the mean time, I will spread what Jesus says.
It seems you are trying real hard to convince someone.
Nope, I am only spreading what Jesus commands, It is up to readers who accept Jesus' word or not.
I just cannot help but wonder if it yourself more so than any one else.
Excuse me?

blessings.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
PS: I hope I am allowed to speak against Christians practice military using Jesus' name.

I have been banned most forums because of my anti-mainstream convictions. My staying the same forum is 6 months average.

blessings
Meshak, as long as your intentions for joining this forum are to engage in fellowship with our 40,000+ members and not to promote an agenda, you have found a life time home here at RF.

You have every right to have a non-mainstream opinion and as long as you stick to what is said here, not make it personal, and follow our simple rules, you will not have any problems here at all.

If you have any questions about the rules, you can always start a thread in "Site Feedback" where the staff will assist your every inquiry.

I would like to welcome you to the forum and hope you can be a long time member here.

P.S. I would love to see you comment on other scripture that has been presented to you and hear your opinions on this.

Last edited: