• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian pastor arrested for faith and then freed from Turkish prison.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If they become a member, Aleppo becomes the eastern border of the EU..is that acceptable?
They will not become a member, so your point is like saying if Russia becomes a member...
This was part of Brexit's Project Fear that is still being repeated.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
They will not become a member, so your point is like saying if Russia becomes a member...
This was part of Brexit's Project Fear that is still being repeated.
We are speaking of a modernized country with great potentialities..with whom we should keep a special relation.

But culturally they're too distant from us,...
fear? yeah...I'm scared to death

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By definition as a Presbyterian, he does. In Presbyterian/Reformed belief, the only ones who are willing to convert are those who are predestined to convert--sucks about the rest of us.
I'm not inclined to judge an individual by a definition.
But I am willing to condemn him if he intends to
oppress others. This means examining the person,
not just the labels attached to him.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I'm not inclined to judge an individual by a definition.
But I am willing to condemn him if he intends to
oppress others. This means examining the person,
not just the labels attached to him.
I'm not judging him. Just pointing out that Presbyterians and Calvinists as a consequence of their theology hone in very quickly on those who they perceive as willing and therefore predestined, and ignore everybody else.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Lmao no. Their continual slow push to extinguish the last vestiges of Orthodox Christianity in the country (focusing most of their attacks against the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople) are proof enough of that. And if that wasn't enough, look at Ataturk's genocides of the Greeks and the Armenians.

Turkey isn't a secular democracy. Erdogan's a determined Islamofascist hell-bent on making Turkey the next Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Always bemuses me to see Americans complaining about infringement of their "rights" while abroad.

One incident that always sticks in my mind is the American who was incensed when we stopped his vehicle for a random search at the Sydney Olympics, he was literally jumping up and down screaming about his "Constitutional rights", while the poor stupid NCO in charge of the vehicle control point (me) had to try to politely explain to him that Australia is a separate country with it's own constitution that is quite different to the American one.

Last edited:

Jumi

They've been giving them money to try to slow the number of migrants coming through their country. A huge difference from being a member,
This is already from before the "migrant crisis", remember. It was to prepare them for membership. Same process as some other countries that joined the EU. You can read about it on EU's informative pages.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Always bemuses me to see Americans complaining about infringement of their "rights" while abroad.

One incident that always sticks in my mind is the American who was incensed when we stopped his vehicle for a random search at the Sydney Olympics, he was literally jumping up and down screaming about his "Constitutional rights", while the poor stupid NCO in charge of the vehicle control point (me) had to try to politely explain to him that Australia is a separate country with it's own constitution that is quite different to the American one.

If only the good old USofA were in charge of the World... :rolleyes:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is already from before the "migrant crisis", remember. It was to prepare them for membership. Same process as some other countries that joined the EU. You can read about it on EU's informative pages.

We need a WU - World Union. Headed by the US of course.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
He's an Evangelical Christian. More specifically, he's an elder of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. One of their tenets is that marriage is heterosexual and monogamous.
That would not be an incendiary message to most Muslims though as the vast majority of Muslims only have one spouse. If he did not mention polygamy, he might be fine.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
That would not be an incendiary message to most Muslims though as the vast majority of Muslims only have one spouse. If he did not mention polygamy, he might be fine.
Eh, I wasn't talking about Muslims specifically. The "marriage can only be heterosexual" comment is the important bit here.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Eh, I wasn't talking about Muslims specifically. The "marriage can only be heterosexual" comment is the important bit here.
Muslims are almost rabidly anti-gay so that wouldn't get him into trouble. The VAST majority would not disapprove of such a message unless he railed against polygamy.

74x12

I would like to believe they don't, but a history of missionaries shows that forced conversions are par for the course.
Okay, in the last 50 years show us forced conversions by missionaries. And I don't mean Catholics.