• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing a religion before the age of 15

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Steinninn wrote above:

"what do the baha'is think about this. If we had a choice, and both parents were baha'is, would we register our children into the baha'i faith."

There is a form in the United States where a parent can register their child as a Baha'i youth but it is internal to the Faith of course and has nothing to do with taxes or the government.

One of the side issues this raises is that Baha'i communities cannot accept money from any non-Baha'i source.. So if say a government wanted to give us tax money I believe it would be refused or returned to the government.

- Art

However, if the Baha'i are taxed individually, and that tax money goes to the Baha'i community, is it not acceptable?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, yeah, I can see that. But it strikes me as better than forcing people to support, via taxation, a religious institution they don't belong to.

arthra

Baha'i
However, if the Baha'i are taxed individually, and that tax money goes to the Baha'i community, is it not acceptable?

No funds can be received from a non-Baha'i source.. Either the money would be returned or the donor would be asked what charity they prefer.

One of the distinguishing features of the Cause of God is its principle of non-acceptance of financial contributions for its own purposes from non-Baha'is: support of the Baha'i Fund is a bounty reserved by Baha'u'llah to His declared followers. This bounty imposes full responsibility for financial support of the Faith on the believers alone, every one of whom is called upon to do his utmost to ensure that the constant and liberal outpouring of means is maintained and increased to meet the growing needs of the Cause.

(The Universal House of Justice: Lights of Guidance, pp. 251-252)

We also of course don't solicit any funds from non-Baha'is.

- Art

Smoke

Done here.
No funds can be received from a non-Baha'i source.. Either the money would be returned or the donor would be asked what charity they prefer.
That seems to put Icelandic Baha'is in a rather interesting position. Wikipedia says the Baha'i Faith was established in Iceland in 1972, so they must have worked out some way to deal with it by now, but I can't find out what it is.

I think we should ask Steininn. :)

arthra

Baha'i
Or Stenninn can ask the Baha'is there.. but the principle is that we can't accept contributions from non-Baha'i sources.

In the US most religious contributions are tax deductable ...

- Art

"A man who believes in God can never find God."

- J. Krishnamurti

Your quote is interesting, but what does it mean? The man that doesn't believe in God can never find God, therefore, nobody can ever find God?

I heard once another quote that talked to me:

"Beauty in nature is the fingerprint of God". So we might not be able to find Him, but we could find traces of Him!

arthra

Baha'i
I'm not a Baha'i, but I suspect there would be no objection. Registering one's religion is not the same as registering as a member of a political party. In Egypt, Baha'is have been fighting for years to register themselves and their children as members of the Baha'i faith. Egypt requires all citizens to register their religious membership, and had formerly forced them to choose among Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, leaving Baha'is who refused to belie themselves without necessary legal documents. Egyptian Baha'is who were fighting the legal battle had said repeatedly, though, that they would settle for not having to declare another religion on their documents and identity cards, and they appear to have won that concession. The Supreme Administrative Court ruled on Monday that Egyptians may leave the religion field blank on official documents.

Egyptian court removes barriers to ID documents for Baha'is

However, my understanding is that the Baha'is would have been just as happy to be allowed to register themselves and their children as Baha'is.

Thanks for your post..

Yes we've been following this. See:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/bahai-faith/77832-news-egypt.html

- Art

ps, that was in reply to MidnightBlue's signature. I tried to send add this remark to your personal page, but there was some really frustrating technical problem each time I tried to post, so that in the end, I decided to go back to the original thread and try it there. It worked!

I'm not a Baha'i, but I suspect there would be no objection. Registering one's religion is not the same as registering as a member of a political party. In Egypt, Baha'is have been fighting for years to register themselves and their children as members of the Baha'i faith. Egypt requires all citizens to register their religious membership, and had formerly forced them to choose among Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, leaving Baha'is who refused to belie themselves without necessary legal documents. Egyptian Baha'is who were fighting the legal battle had said repeatedly, though, that they would settle for not having to declare another religion on their documents and identity cards, and they appear to have won that concession. The Supreme Administrative Court ruled on Monday that Egyptians may leave the religion field blank on official documents.

Egyptian court removes barriers to ID documents for Baha'is

However, my understanding is that the Baha'is would have been just as happy to be allowed to register themselves and their children as Baha'is.

On my side, I had seen the headlines, but I didn't read the details, so the story didn't sink in until I read your very short and clear explanation on this thread!!! Thanks!

Smoke

Done here.
"A man who believes in God can never find God."

- J. Krishnamurti

Your quote is interesting, but what does it mean? The man that doesn't believe in God can never find God, therefore, nobody can ever find God?

I heard once another quote that talked to me:

"Beauty in nature is the fingerprint of God". So we might not be able to find Him, but we could find traces of Him!
So as not to derail this thread, I've answered in a separate thread.

BruceDLimber

How about something like this?:

RCoexist

If you insert the symbol from the Wingdings font, the one you get by hitting a capital "R" is the Baha'i nine-pointed star!

(I'll leave the rest for you.)

Many regards! :)

Bruce

blackout

Violet.
My son is 9.

He worships the Lego god...
and the Waffle god.

Just two off the top of my head.

He often makes up liturgical music :areyoucra
and does hip little dances around the kitchen
in the spirit of his chosen deity.

Guess he knows he's a poly-theist already. :shrug:
(in this house, it seems you must be a poly/pan- something) ;)

I personally think HE'S a comedy god.:p

arthra

Baha'i
Well thanks for your post "ultraviolet" and welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

I too have been known to frequent the precincts of the "waffle god":drool: and been accused of waffling over time..:)

- Art

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
How about something like this?:

RCoexist

If you insert the symbol from the Wingdings font, the one you get by hitting a capital "R" is the Baha'i nine-pointed star!

(I'll leave the rest for you.)

Many regards! :)

Bruce
I assume this is addressed to me and regarding my sig pic, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't even have the software (or the know-how) to manipulate the image in the first place.

blackout

Violet.
Well thanks for your post "ultraviolet" and welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

I too have been known to frequent the precincts of the "waffle god":drool: and been accused of waffling over time..:)

- Art

hahaha! I didn't even know I was in the Baha'i Forum!

lol. Thanks for your sense of humor re. my post. :D

~Vi~