• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating Obama's Candidacy

Hour after hour, news channel after news channel, pundits are congratulating themselves on their historic support for Barack Obama. Marveling at their tolerance and contribution to the cultural elevation of the quintessential black candidate and his marvelous nomination as the Democratic Nominee for President of these United States, these great political commentators have struck a blow for civil rights and racial diversity for all Mankind. And so, it is with the greatest honor that I present to you the awkward political masturbation of the mainstream media and the beginning of the first popular American Social Democratic Candidate, Chicago’s favorite racially mixed son, the illustrious Messiah of brother love and of all our proletariat comrades, Barack Hussein Obama!

Indeed, on behalf of those who have been exploited by the monstrous barons of industry and their Capitalist sham, on behalf of those who believed that hope was no longer worth hoping for, on behalf of our children, on behalf of the elderly, of the disabled, of the poor, and of the downtrodden, it is our nations greatest privilege and honor to commemorate Senator Obama’s victory over the old compromising Democratic Establishment. Today will be remembered as the day when the first seeds of global peace and unity were sown. When the greatest government in all the world came under the loving arms of a true compassionate politician, a bastion of equality and a bulkhead against the inequities of class and racial discrimination.

Let us all take a few minutes to stroke ourselves to the realization of our wettest fantasies! For it was we, the tolerant and auspicious soldiers who stood up against the establishments and institutions, who supported the righteous campaign of Senator Obama, who made this day possible; who delivered hope and optimism back to all the peoples of the known world! Let us stroke ourselves until we are fat and merry. For this day, of all days, we can be sure, that if there were a God up in heaven, She’d be looking down on us with pride, that finally, after all these long years, we did something right, something selfless, something wise.

It is in this spirit that we designate this week, the first week in June, 2008, Political Masturbation Week. So join the mainstream media, everyone, in congratulating yourselves on the success of Barack Obama. And if you were one of the racist bigots that did not support Senator Obama’s campaign, repent, and bask in the glimmering light of our reflected glory as we humbly observe the coronation of the next President of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!....... (drum roll please) BARACK HUSSIEN OBAMA!!!!

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
This two party system is a shame. I hate voting for someone because he's not as bad as the alternative. Having said that, Obama is not nearly as bad as the alternative. The punditocracy is sure laying it on thick with the "historic black candidate" story. But wait, the racist backlash against Obama's candidacy, some subtle and some not-so-subtle,will also continue to bubble to the surface . . .

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1176482 said:
This two party system is a shame. I hate voting for someone because he's not as bad as the alternative. Having said that, Obama is not nearly as bad as the alternative. The punditocracy is sure laying it on thick with the "historic black candidate" story. But wait, the racist backlash against Obama's candidacy, some subtle and some not-so-subtle,will also continue to bubble to the surface . . .

That's why the primaries are so much fun!

I agree to an extent. I don't think McCain is worse than Obama, but it makes me sick to my stomach to even hint that he's better, so let's just say I think they are equally bad. :) I'm stuck voting for two Republicans that usurped the Libertarian nomination, but Bob Barr, even though I disagree with him on 15 to 20% of his positions, will still better represent me than McCain or Obama with whom I agree with them on less than 10% of the issues.

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree to an extent. I don't think McCain is worse than Obama, but it makes me sick to my stomach to even hint that he's better, so let's just say I think they are equally bad. :) I'm stuck voting for two Republicans that usurped the Libertarian nomination, but Bob Barr, even though I disagree with him on 15 to 20% of his positions, will still better represent me than McCain or Obama with whom I agree with them on less than 10% of the issues.
Ah, that sounds sooooo bad....

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I haven't seen any racist backlash. And I'm usually tuned into the conservative media. Maybe I missed it.
Many "whites" would love to see a "black" president to finally put the racist accusations to rest. Most of our society moved past it long ago, thank goodness. I wish I could vote for him, but I can't in good conscience. And color has nothing to do with it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I haven't seen any racist backlash. And I'm usually tuned into the conservative media. Maybe I missed it.
Many "whites" would love to see a black president to finally put the racist accusations to rest. Most of our society moved past it long ago, thank goodness.
Yeah, but never underestimate the damage the holdouts can do.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I genuinely like Obama. For the first time since I've been old enough to vote, I'm going to be able to cast a ballot for someone I really believe in.

That said, I agree with the OP about being disgusted by the self-congratulatory punditry about our historic nomination of a black man. The danger that I see in this is that people will indeed think that his election means that there is no more racism. Bull.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
... But wait, the racist backlash against Obama's candidacy...
...and let's not forget the racist contingency that's going to vote for Obama solely because he is black.:sorry1: That crowd is just as misguided as the folks who are going to vote against him for the same reason.

The media certainly christened Obama and Hillary the frontrunners and went ga-ga over the possibility that someone other than a white man might be elected President. If McCain does indeed win, the Democrats will have 4 years to lament the fact that John Edwards and many other candidates were completely ignored and ultimately sacrificed on the alter of political correctness..

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
If McCain does indeed win, the Democrats will have 4 years to lament the fact that John Edwards and many other candidates were completely ignored and ultimately sacrificed on the alter of political correctness..
I can't stand Edwards, and resent your suggestion that the only reason why someone would support either Clinton or Obama is because of their gender or race.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I can't stand Edwards, and resent your suggestion that the only reason why someone would support either Clinton or Obama is because of their gender or race.
Well you are welcome to keep your head in the sand Lilithu, but MANY will vote for Obama because he is black and MANY will vote against him for exactly the same reason. It is true that this isn't the only reason to vote for or against BamBam, but you seem to forget that a rather significant chunk of the electorate is not especially bright and can hardly be described as politically savvy.

PS: I despise Edwards too.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Well you are welcome to keep your head in the sand Lilithu, but MANY will vote for Obama because he is black and MANY will vote against him for exactly the same reason. It is true that this isn't the only reason to vote for or against BamBam, but you seem to forget that a rather significant chunk of the electorate is not especially bright or can hardly be described as politically savvy.

PS: I despise Edwards too.
I didn't say that no one would vote for or against Obama based on his race. I said I resented the suggestion that's the only reason why people voted for him. ie - that's the reason why he won. He won because he ran a superior campaign.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I resent your naivete since you do not seem to realize that racism and sexism can work both ways. Please rest assured that for SOME people they most certainly do.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I resent your naivete since you do not seem to realize that racism and sexism can work both ways. Please rest assured that for SOME people they most certainly do.
Both you and YmirGF are arguing a strawman. Either that, or you're just back-tracking. :sarcastic Once again, I did not say that no one is voting for or against Obama based on race. Unless you have a reading comprehension problem, what I said is clear. I resent your suggesting that the only reason why Obama won was because of race and people trying to be "PC." In other words, your suggesting that people would not have genuinely been attracted to his message of hope.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I didn't say that no one would vote for or against Obama based on his race. I said I resented the suggestion that's the only reason why people voted for him. ie - that's the reason why he won. He won because he ran a superior campaign.
I would say he merely ran a good campaign. The political reality in the states is that people want a change. Obama speaks to that need. All he had to do was keep his nose clean and he did just that. I think Hillary had the better campaign, but also could not get past her political baggage which began to dog her once people realized she was almost unstoppable (early on). She represents "the past". Obama is the future. Now we have to wait and see how successful McNugget is at getting the right-wing paranoiac's out marching.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I would say he merely ran a good campaign. The political reality in the states is that people want a change. Obama speaks to that need. All he had to do was keep his nose clean and he did just that. I think Hillary had the better campaign, but also could not get past her political baggage which began to dog her once people realized she was almost unstoppable (early on).
On what basis do you say that Hillary ran a superior campaign if you concede that Obama recognizes a need and speaks to it and Clinton could not get past her political baggage?

Obama ran on hope. Clinton ran on fear. Obama relied on grassroots community organizing. Clinton relied on grasstops, party bigwigs (and yet tried to pass herself off as the populist). Obama's campaign recognized that winning delegates was more important than winning states. Clinton did not. Obama planned way in advance. Clinton's campaign ran out of money right before Super Tuesday because they assumed that they would win Iowa and have the nomination in the bag. In campaigns just as in football, if you assume victory before it's happened, you'll likely lose.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I genuinely like Obama. For the first time since I've been old enough to vote, I'm going to be able to cast a ballot for someone I really believe in.

That said, I agree with the OP about being disgusted by the self-congratulatory punditry about our historic nomination of a black man. The danger that I see in this is that people will indeed think that his election means that there is no more racism. Bull.
Frubals on your head! :D SP Amen sistuh! No fist pound smiley yet.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Both you and YmirGF are arguing a strawman.
Um..NO we are not! We are just pointing out a reality that you refuse to accept.
Either that, or you're just back-tracking.
Negative ghost rider. I stand by my point 100%.
Once again, I did not say that no one is voting for or against Obama based on race.
By resenting my suggestion, you most certainly did!
Unless you have a reading comprehension problem,
This is the funniest thing I've read this week. :biglaugh:
what I said is clear.
Yes, you were VERY clear in misquoting my statement.
I resent your suggesting that the only reason why Obama won
Wow! I did NOT say this. You just CLEARLY demonstrated that YOU are the one with the reading comprehension problem. Here's what I said to refresh your memory:
CaptainXeroid said:
The media certainly christened Obama and Hillary the frontrunners and went ga-ga over the possibility that someone other than a white man might be elected President. If McCain does indeed win, the Democrats will have 4 years to lament the fact that John Edwards and many other candidates were completely ignored and ultimately sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.
Here's an exercise for you this weekend. Print out my post, find a crayon, and circle where I used the word ONLY. If you can do that, I'll take it back. When you realize that I did not, and I'll accept your apology.
In other words, your suggesting...
Nope. Once again. that's your misinterpretation. I made no effort to explain why Obama won. All I did was point out that the media ignored any candidate who was not named Obama or Clinton, which you probably did not notice, dovetails nicely with OP>

Seriously...take a remedial reading course and do it soon!! You totally missed my very simple point, yet Dopp and YmirGF seemed to get it.