• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada now rewards terrorists

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Khadr isn't American.

Yes, I know.

He was sentenced. He was sentenced to 8 years in prison. He served about 2.5 years in Canadian prison before being released on parole pending his appeal of his American conviction.

But that's not what he's receiving the money for. If this was all that occurred then no law suit. Canada failed to protect his rights. Really what was the point of the US holding a 15yo?

UpperLimits

Is there a credible source for this or is this just tabloid level fiction? Also even if he was awarded money for pain and suffering, it was for being tortured not for terrorism. You can still be convicted of a crime but have a crime committed against you. But if this is a thing that really happened that's way too much to award anyone.
I wish I could say it's just tabloid news. That would be a great relief. Unfortunately, it's very real, and it's all over Canadian mainstream news.

The timing couldn't have been worse either. What a slap in the face to our American friends.

UpperLimits

The only crime he has ever been convicted of was the murder of the American medic, and he was convicted of that by a military tribunal, not a civilian court, based on a confession elicited under torture. Since then, he has said that he has no memory of the incident.

Khadir and his family are quite well known to authorities up here in Canada. And BTW, you're assuming the confession was elicited under torture.

Oh, and also if it was, you might want to take another look at your shining hero, Obama. Khadirs trial and conviction took place under his watch. (2010)

UpperLimits

A grenade came out of a bunker in Afghanistan, and killed an American medic. There is evidence that Khahid was in that bunker, but no credible evidence that he threw said grenade. (By the United Nations agreements, 'evidence' gotten under torture cannot be accepted in tribunals, and for good reason.) After 10 or so years in Gitmo, he was released, and that should have been the end of it, but the Canadian government still, again, held him in jail here, pending further 'investigation'.

Listing to National radio yesterday, the view was expressed that he should have gotten a larger settlement, given time served, torture, the delays, etc. If anyone is guilty, it's the governments for undue delay in justice. Bungle after bungle.
I highly doubt it, but if any compensation should be due, then it is the American Administration that should be on the hook for it. The Canadian government has no business whatsoever sticking their stupid noses into business that doesn't belong to it. They neither captured, held, or tried the guy. All they did was negotiate his release. Why would they owe him an apology? Or compensation?

UpperLimits

I think if you go to war against your country, you lose any rights of protection.
Yeah. It used to be called "treason." People were hung or shot for it.
Still at 15 hard to hold him accountable for his actions. I know it was only sleep deprivation but what's the point of doing that to a 15yo?
I know people like to think of children as innocents, but it's also argued among psychologists that children as young as 2 are able to form the intent to kill. The big problem is that they can't reason through the consequences of their action because the rational part of the brain doesn't develop until about age 9 or 10. However, unless they are mentally deficient in some fashion, 15 years old people are completely culpable for their actions. We as a society just choose to let them have freedom from responsibilities for a little longer so that they can have a better chance at being a responsible adult without all the baggage of bad decisions made earlier in life.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think his argument is, "He's a Muslim, he must be evil"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh, and also if it was, you might want to take another look at your shining hero, Obama. Khadirs trial and conviction took place under his watch. (2010)
If you think that Obama's my "shining hero", you've made some bad assumptions. Obama did some things that I consider criminal; keeping GITMO open was one of them.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yeah, if you think Trump's Christian you've made some bad assumptions, too!! When Trump went to church and they passed the offering plate around, Trump thought he was supposed to take money out of it!!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, if you think Trump's Christian you've made some bad assumptions, too!! When Trump went to church and they passed the offering plate around, Trump thought he was supposed to take money out of it!!
I don't for a second think that Trump's Christianity is sincere. However, I do think that millions of American Christians sincerely decided that Trump's platform reflects their Christian values. This is how he got elected.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It has nothing to do with the Americans.
In fact, it's actually none of their business.
It is our business in the sense that we have an interest.
Just not the right to interfere.

But just wait.....when we finally annex you guys, we'll rename your province "New Texas".
(It could be worse. Your neighbor will be Wireyland.)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For all of you who have an issue with the age of this terrorist, I suggest you peruse the following articles.

Afghanistan: Taliban Child Soldier Recruitment Surges
http://www.accord.org.za/conflict-trends/understanding-recruitment-child-soldiers-africa/

A "child" can kill you just as easy, actually easier if you are a Westerner, as an "adult".
The issue isn't about the American soldiers' treatment of Khadr during battle; the issue is how he was treated after he was captured.

Nobody's disputing that child soldiers can be dangerous; the question is what we should do with them once they're apprehended.