• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada now rewards terrorists

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am sure the Canadian Supreme Court is not gullible, and has full access to all the evidence that is available.
Forum members on the other hand have access to all the opinion and prejudice of the press and social media.

People whose cases are heard in the supreme court. are guaranteed a fair hearing in law, they are protected from witch-hunts and false or imagined evidence. Information gained from torture has no validity in law whatsoever. It does not even qualify as hearsay, it has less value even than total silence.
The fact that he was held with out trial and under torture, has been established. beyond doubt. no one is denying it.
Any compensation due will be determined according to Canadian law.

Any case against him on the grounds that he was a terrorist is a separate issue, and would be subject to Trial in the normal way.

The two issues are totally distinct. Courts do not confuse issues in the way the press and social media does.

No doubt the full details of the judgement will be released by the supreme court in due time.
Till then, I am not going to be upset by rumor and speculation.
There is no Supreme Court judgement... or court judgement if any kind. Khadr's Supreme Court cases already happened.

This lawsuit was proceeding in Federal court (but not the Supreme Court) when an out-of-court settlement was apparently reached. This means that the civil case ends without a decision of the court.

Since when did America have a leader even in the same league as Angela Merkel.
With out an advisor your presidents don't even know how to hold a knife and fork.
Never. No American president has ever welcomed a foreign invasion by hostiles.

Let's hope none join her in that 'league' in the foreseeable future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're joking, I hope. So in Revoltistan, people can harm children with no fear of civil penalty?
You're joking, right?
I haven't opposed compensation for wrongs committed against him.
That's a separate issue from his taking part in the murder of the medic.
His suffering at the hands of government doesn't relieve him of liability
for the harm he did beforehand.

Regolith Based Lifeforms

Early Earth Was Not Sterile
Sounds like we may need a wall on the northern border.
A guy with 10 million bucks can start his own terrorist organization. The Left always repeats the same mistake of appeasement. Hitler LOVED that. Then he ripped Europe to shreds.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're joking, right?
I haven't opposed compensation for wrongs committed against him.
You tied compensation to capacity.

That's a separate issue from his taking part in the murder of the medic.
His suffering at the hands of government doesn't relieve him of liability
for the harm he did beforehand.
No, it doesn't. Though how much liability a combatant, particularly a child soldier, ought to have for a combat death is a question for debate. A soldier killing an enemy soldier during battle in the course of a war isn't generally a crime.

...though the question of liability is pretty much moot, IMO, since he hasn't faced a civilian trial for any crime, and his confession is useless, since it was obtained under torture.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You tied compensation to capacity.
Yes.
He's old enuf to be held financially liable for his crimes.
And he's also financially capable to compensate victims.
No, it doesn't. Though how much liability a combatant, particularly a child soldier, ought to have for a combat death is a question for debate. A soldier killing an enemy soldier during battle in the course of a war isn't generally a crime.
I'm not addressing his being guilty of a crime (which might or might not be true).
Instead, I say he's liable in tort for the actions of a group which he served.
...though the question of liability is pretty much moot, IMO, since he hasn't faced a civilian trial for any crime, and his confession is useless, since it was obtained under torture.
I'm not basing his culpability upon the confession.
That he served with the group who committed the crime is enuf.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Therein lies the rub, really. ANY court, in almost any jurisdiction, would throw out "evidence" gained by even questionable torture techniques.
It's probably the best way for the prosecution to destroy their own case against a defendant. That compensation would follow is almost a no-brainer.

That said, I am no fan of Omar Khadr, and do not buy into the idea he was simply indoctrinated by his father. Poor waif.
Heck, when I was 15, my dad was lucky if I agreed with him, let alone decide to go all in on his cause. At that contrarian age kids are not normally terribly easy to lead. My guess is he was a willing participant and required very little coaxing. Guess we'll have to wait for the 8 hour docu-drama from CBC to know the details.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He could have been 10?
But he wasn't.
15 years old, plus or minus a year is significantly different from 10.

If there ever is a civil trial for damages to his victim(s), he could
raise the defense that he was coerced or otherwise not responsible
for his actions. A jury or judge would decide the significance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But he wasn't.
Based on his history, it seems that he was probably indoctrinated from a very young age.

That said, we do, on occaision, raise a "child" to adult court when the crimes committed warrant it and they are close to their 16th birthday.

Topic 3: Adult Sentences for Youth | LawLessons.ca
Are these the same courts that reject confessions gained under torture, respect habeas corpus, and defend the right of an accused to a speedy trial in a civilian court?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's an old story. Khadr wasn't present or represented during those proceedings, but they ended up with a $100-something million judgement against Khadr. It remains to be seen if Canadian courts will honour it.
Aye, we shall see if Canuckistanian courts have "honor".
But there will likely be new suits, & the defendant would have his day in court.