• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada now rewards terrorists

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not in Canada, no. But in other jurisdictions, they most certainly do.

Don't believe me? Then try going to another country and breaking their laws. You'll find out soon enough whose rules are going to apply. Sorry, but one has to be pretty naive to think that the government has the duty to hold their hand everywhere they go.

(And no, you're not due a lottery win when you get back, either - That is, If you're lucky enough to get back from some places....)
Official representatives of the Canadian government are not allowed to violate your Charter rights, even in another country.

Edit: Constitutional limitations on our government do not stop at our borders.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Not in Canada, no. But in other jurisdictions, they most certainly do.

Don't believe me? Then try going to another country and breaking their laws. You'll find out soon enough whose rules are going to apply. Sorry, but one has to be pretty naive to think that the government has the duty to hold their hand everywhere they go.

(And no, you're not due a lottery win when you get back, either - That is, If you're lucky enough to get back from some places....)
It's not about whose rules will apply in any given situation in a foreign country, or what Canada can or will do for you. The Canadian Charter protects its citizens's rights, as outlined in the document, as long as they are citizens. That doesn't change because of circumstance.

UpperLimits

It's not about whose rules will apply in any given situation in a foreign country, or what Canada can or will do for you. The Canadian Charter protects its citizens's rights, as outlined in the document, as long as they are citizens. That doesn't change because of circumstance.
Your rights as a Canadian citizen only exist in other jurisdictions to the extent that other authorities are prepared to honor them.

(BTW, IMO 9/10th's has a substantially better perspective on the issue than your position.)

UpperLimits

It's not a reward, certainly not for terrorism. It is compensation for the way the previous Harper government treated him.

I wanted to go back to this statement as it clearly shows your level of understanding on this whole issue.

The supreme court rulings in 2010 were based upon the treatment Khadr had received in 2003 by the LIBERAL government under Jean Chretien and Paul Martin. The ruling didn't finally come until 2010 when Harper was in power. As soon as the ruling came down, the Harper government started moving to ensure that Khadr was repatriated ASAP. As I've already noted, you can't just march into a foreign governments prison camp and demand that prisoners be released. It did take some time, but deals aside, Khadr WAS brought back to Canada by Harper's government.

If things were really so bad and (apparently) being done illegally, then WHY wasn't business taken care of by the previous LIBERAL government???? After all, It was during THEIR reign that the alleged offences had taken place. And it was THEIR officials that had apparently broken the law. Why are you blaming Harper's government?

In what way do you think that the Harper Conservatives treated Khadr unfairly? I'll remind you: It was the LIBERALS that were prepared to let Khadr "rot" in prison! Maybe that 10.5M should come out of the Liberal campaign fund rather than taxpayers pockets!!

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If things were really so bad and (apparently) being done illegally, then WHY wasn't business taken care of by the previous LIBERAL government???? After all, It was during THEIR reign that the alleged offences had taken place. And it was THEIR officials that had apparently broken the law. Why are you blaming Harper's government?
Because Harper is the last Prime Minister who could have done something during his eight years in office. Because the longer this thing drew out, the more critical it was that something be done. And because prior to 2010, thanks to the media, no one in Canada had ever heard of Khadr.

Edit: The satisfaction of blaming an *** for being an *** comes second.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Your rights as a Canadian citizen only exist in other jurisdictions to the extent that other authorities are prepared to honor them.

(BTW, IMO 9/10th's has a substantially better perspective on the issue than your position.)
You never lose your rights, really. At all. They may be guarateed or restricted by law, but they are not lost. They belong to you by virtue of being a human. As long as you are a human you have them; and, conversely, when people or governments treat you as if you don't have them, they are treating you as something less than human. Which is why you take it the Supreme Court to complain that you are not being treated as human, and they award you ten million dollars.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As an aside, Mostly Penguin is arguing something different from what I am arguing, so saying that his argument is better only speaks to the technical composition of it, not the substance.

And yes, he puts together a fine argument.

UpperLimits

Because Harper is the last Prime Minister who could have done something during his eight years in office. Because the longer this thing drew out, the more critical it was that something be done. And because prior to 2010, thanks to the media, no one in Canada had ever heard of Khadr.
Khadr has been in the news since he was captured in 2002. Perhaps it was you who'd never heard of him before 2010. The Harper government didn't "do anything" before 2010 because as I've said repeatedly, they were waiting for the supreme court to make their decision. Once the decision was made, then it was expedited ASAP!!

"ASAP" just happened to take 2 years. But that was only because he was being held in a foreign military prison. You just don't get the point - do you? He WASN'T in our custody!!

BTW, it would be really nice if you'd at least attempt an answer to the question rather than dodge the issue.

Last edited:

UpperLimits

You never lose your rights, really. At all. They may be guarateed or restricted by law, but they are not lost. They belong to you by virtue of being a human. As long as you are a human you have them; and, conversely, when people or governments treat you as if you don't have them, they are treating you as something less than human. Which is why you take it the Supreme Court to complain that you are not being treated as human, and they award you ten million dollars.
And a fat lot of good it does you when you are under the control of someone who doesn't respect what you believe. A right denied is a right lost. But, believe what you will.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's not relevant.

That's not factual.
Agreed. Just because a given right is denied does not mean that right is lost. It just means it was denied for a time. There can be consequences for denying a persons rights however as the courts rightly decided in Khadr's case.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Khadr has been in the news since he was captured in 2002. Perhaps it was you who'd never heard of him before 2010. The Harper government didn't "do anything" before 2010 because as I've said repeatedly, they were waiting for the supreme court to make their decision. Once the decision was made, then it was expedited ASAP!!

"ASAP" just happened to take 2 years. But that was only because he was being held in a foreign military prison. You just don't get the point - do you? He WASN'T in our custody!!

BTW, it would be really nice if you'd at least attempt an answer to the question rather than dodge the issue.
A lot of inaccuracies and half-truths there. The Harper government was instrumental at delaying Khadr's return and prolonging the denial of his Charter rights:

- in 2008, Harper stated that he'd leave the Khadr case in US hands, despite findings that Khadr's rights were being violated.

- in 2009, the Harper government received a court order requiring the government to work toward Khadr's repatriation. Rather than obey the court order, they appealed. Twice.

- in 2010, after the court order was overturned by the Supreme Court, the Foreign Affairs Minister and a representative of the PMO say that they have no plans to repatriate Khadr.

- later in 2010, the Harper government is ordered to come up with a plan within 7 days to protect Khadr's Charter rights. Again, rather than comply with the order, the Harper government appeals.

- in 2012, Khadr's lawyers file notice in Federal court asking for a review of why the Canadian government is delaying repatriation.

- a few months later, Khadr finally returns to Canada.

Key events in the Omar Khadr case