• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada now rewards terrorists

UpperLimits

In a stunning 4th of July announcement, the Canadian government has (unofficially) revealed that they plan to reward Omar Khadir with about 10.5 million dollars for his "terrible pain and suffering."

You do remember Mr Khadir - don't you? The young Canadian jihadist who went to Afghanistan, making IED's and teaching others to do the same. He killed an American medic and blinded another soldier with a grenade. Remember him now?

Well, the left wingnut Trudeau government has seen fit to rub salt into the wounds of American hearts by announcing that they will be rewarding the man for his terrible time he had in an American run jail (where the terrorist punk spent 10 years for murder) with over 10 million bucks and an official apology.

I am so embarrassed to be a Canadian. This announcement makes me ill.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
If what you say is true, it seems like Canadia puts compassion (albeit misplaced) first and justice second.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yeah I remember Mr "Child Soldier" Khahid. He was involved in some shootout involving Al Queda and was shot, captured and tortured at GitMo. I think his victims should receive compensation but given that how strong Civil Rights is in the West, I'm hardly surprised.

GitMo must be a lawyer's dream come true in terms of settlements (I assume.)

Kapalika

Premium Member
Is there a credible source for this or is this just tabloid level fiction? Also even if he was awarded money for pain and suffering, it was for being tortured not for terrorism. You can still be convicted of a crime but have a crime committed against you. But if this is a thing that really happened that's way too much to award anyone.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is there a credible source for this or is this just tabloid level fiction?
The settlement is being reported on every news outlet in Canada. The information has been leaked, so far it isn't clear by who. I'd say that @UpperLimits 's description of this as "the government (unofficially) revealing" the settlement assumes a few facts not in evidence.

Also even if he was awarded money for pain and suffering, it was for being tortured not for terrorism. You can still be convicted of a crime but have a crime committed against you. But if this is a thing that really happened that's way too much to award anyone.
How much do you think is an appropriate amount for being held without trial and regularly tortured for a decade? Keep in mind he was a minor for the first 3 years of that.

How much do you think the award would have been if it had gone to trial? Khadr was suing for $20 million.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In a stunning 4th of July announcement, the Canadian government has (unofficially) revealed that they plan to reward Omar Khadir with about 10.5 million dollars for his "terrible pain and suffering."

You do remember Mr Khadir - don't you? The young Canadian jihadist who went to Afghanistan, making IED's and teaching others to do the same. He killed an American medic and blinded another soldier with a grenade. Remember him now?
The only crime he has ever been convicted of was the murder of the American medic, and he was convicted of that by a military tribunal, not a civilian court, based on a confession elicited under torture. Since then, he has said that he has no memory of the incident.

Well, the left wingnut Trudeau government has seen fit to rub salt into the wounds of American hearts by announcing that they will be rewarding the man for his terrible time he had in an American run jail (where the terrorist punk spent 10 years for murder) with over 10 million bucks and an official apology.

Well, I hope you remember this feeling, and if only to prevent yourself from feeling it ever again, you support governments that will follow their own rules.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh yeah I remember Mr "Child Soldier" Khahid. He was involved in some shootout involving Al Queda and was shot, captured and tortured at GitMo. I think his victims should receive compensation but given that how strong Civil Rights is in the West, I'm hardly surprised.

GitMo must be a lawyer's dream come true in terms of settlements (I assume.)
Let us hope that his lucre is paid out to terrorism victims who prevail in civil suits against him.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A grenade came out of a bunker in Afghanistan, and killed an American medic. There is evidence that Khahid was in that bunker, but no credible evidence that he threw said grenade. (By the United Nations agreements, 'evidence' gotten under torture cannot be accepted in tribunals, and for good reason.) After 10 or so years in Gitmo, he was released, and that should have been the end of it, but the Canadian government still, again, held him in jail here, pending further 'investigation'.

Listing to National radio yesterday, the view was expressed that he should have gotten a larger settlement, given time served, torture, the delays, etc. If anyone is guilty, it's the governments for undue delay in justice. Bungle after bungle.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Important information left out by the OP:

- Khadr was a minor (15) at the time he was involved in the firefight mentioned in the OP.
- He was taken to Afghanistan by his father who, by all accounts, indoctrinated him into al Qaeda.
- He pleaded guilty to murder and served his 8 year sentence concurrently with 10 years in Guantanamo Bay.
- The supposed $10.5m compensation he is getting is a result of evidence reaching the Canadian Supreme Court that intelligence officials had used torture methods such as sleep deprivation on Khadr in 2003 in order to obtain evidence.

I'm still amazed by the number of people who are so easily mislead as to the basic facts of a case like this by simple headlines. Why do people not look stuff up anymore?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A grenade came out of a bunker in Afghanistan, and killed an American medic. There is evidence that Khahid was in that bunker, but no credible evidence that he threw said grenade.
I don't think he's exculpated by not being the actual thrower of the grenade.
He was indisuputably serving with the malefactors who killed the medic.
This makes him culpable for this & also other assaults the group committed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Perhaps. I'm not well read up on the details. In any wars, people do get killed, and just who is responsible for it is up for debate. perhaps the leaders who commanded it all are more responsible. Mainly, I'm just pointing out there are always two sides to every story. It's never clear cut, in my opinion. Prisoners of war are a side effect.

Kapalika

Premium Member
The settlement is being reported on every news outlet in Canada. The information has been leaked, so far it isn't clear by who. I'd say that @UpperLimits 's description of this as "the government (unofficially) revealing" the settlement assumes a few facts not in evidence.

How much do you think is an appropriate amount for being held without trial and regularly tortured for a decade? Keep in mind he was a minor for the first 3 years of that.

How much do you think the award would have been if it had gone to trial? Khadr was suing for $20 million.

Major news outlets copy-paste report stories all the time without a single fact being checked. Been going on for years sometimes with hilarious results.

How much should they be awarded? I don't think a million dollars per year is appropriate. Why not spend all that government money on more deserving people? And yes torture is bad, but I don't think giving the tortured the money really solves anything. What's the point? Why not instead reprimand those who ordered and facilitated the tortures? After all if this is a crime why is it being settled like it's a civil case? If there was criminal action then those involved need to be brought to trial.

To me, it stinks of a government trying to cover it's own back.

Based solely on what I've read on this thread, if he had no choice but to be there because of his father none of this **** should of happened. If he really believed the indoctrination well then I have less sympathy but if he was unwittingly involved in all this then by all means he isn't a terrorist and if he served his time let him go. I'm still not convinced that a million per year of being tortured or not is justified. Who here makes a million a year?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am sure the Canadian Supreme Court is not gullible, and has full access to all the evidence that is available.
Forum members on the other hand have access to all the opinion and prejudice of the press and social media.

People whose cases are heard in the supreme court. are guaranteed a fair hearing in law, they are protected from witch-hunts and false or imagined evidence. Information gained from torture has no validity in law whatsoever. It does not even qualify as hearsay, it has less value even than total silence.
The fact that he was held with out trial and under torture, has been established. beyond doubt. no one is denying it.
Any compensation due will be determined according to Canadian law.

Any case against him on the grounds that he was a terrorist is a separate issue, and would be subject to Trial in the normal way.

The two issues are totally distinct. Courts do not confuse issues in the way the press and social media does.

No doubt the full details of the judgement will be released by the supreme court in due time.
Till then, I am not going to be upset by rumor and speculation.

If on the other hand he was offered the compensation to settle his claim, so that the detailed evidence against his American captors would not be presented in full court, then no doubt the American administration was involved, and supplied the necessary finances for the settlement. which seems a more reasonable hypothesis.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
He was 15-years old

Ya, pee-yoo-do needs to go. He is second only to Angela Merkel in his utter cluelessness.