• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we remove the dogma from science?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That isn't an example of dogma in science. It is a problem with dogma in certain members of the field of science. As you say, scientists aren't perfect. And, as such, their resistance in this context does not present dogma in science itself. It merely shows their own dogma.
Dogma is dogma.
But I agree it's not fundamental to science, while it is to religion.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Please
Regards

That requires faith, acknowledgement of beliefs as such. For academic science, this runs counter to it's fundamental ideology

But it's dogma serves a purpose, it gave us steady state, big crunch, canals on mars, Darwinism, piltdown man, global cooling/warming and so on. Determining the right path is easier when the wrong one is first exposed

Daemon Sophic

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”

Carl Sagan

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That requires faith, acknowledgement of beliefs as such. For academic science, this runs counter to it's fundamental ideology

But it's dogma serves a purpose, it gave us steady state, big crunch, canals on mars, Darwinism, piltdown man, global cooling/warming and so on. Determining the right path is easier when the wrong one is first exposed
Science accepts improvements/changes to understanding when evidence is presented that contradicts previous understandings. Scientists call each other out.

Most religions, otoh, have a problem with changing their understand of reality. They start with their beliefs and try to find evidence that supports those beliefs, ignoring evidence to the contrary as unreliable.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I allow that some religions are so lacking in dogma as to be virtually without it.
But vast majority do dogma big time.

They do? How are you defining "dogma?" Because if you mean "incontrovertible truth laid down by some authority" I can't say I've observed this statement to be a correct one. Dogma seems particular to certain branches of the Abrahamic religions and rather absent outside of that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They do? How are you defining "dogma?" Because if you mean "incontrovertible truth laid down by some authority" I can't say I've observed this statement to be a correct one. Dogma seems particular to certain branches of the Abrahamic religions and rather absent outside of that.
I like this range of definitions.....
the definition of dogma
It's far broader than what you use.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I like this range of definitions.....
the definition of dogma
It's far broader than what you use.

Well, the definition I gave basically encompassed the first three with one sentence. If we're including that fourth one, we end up having to capitulate to the OP that the sciences are dogmatic (along with any other human endeavor that has any kind of establishment). I can't say I'm a fan of that approach. It makes the meaning of the word "dogma" much too broad to me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This isn't always true.
I specifically recall institutional resistance to the idea that bacteria cause ulcers.
Scientists are only puny miserable humans, so there will at times be a culture
reluctant to accept novel theories. Fortunately, the method is better than we are.

First of all, resistance isn't dogma.

Yes, any new ideas have to validate themselves through the accumulation of evidence. They also have to meet the objections from alternative theories. That isn't dogma: that is making sure evidence drives the discussion.

If you consider *that* to be a dogma, then no, science will not give that up.