1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Can theological difference between the Gospels and the Qur'an be resolved?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by adrian009, Aug 12, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Possibly

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,120
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I do take a practical approach to my faith, but will have the discernment when to see scripture as spiritually rather than literally.

A good example are the verses in the Olivet discourse concerning Christ Returning on clouds of great power. This is not to be interpreted literally but instead symbolically where heaven denotes loftiness. The clouds refer to traditions and the ways of men that obscure our vision from seeing the truth. An example are the false expectations the Jews had in recognising their Messiah such as being One like King David who would defeat their enemies. Such clouds obscure belief in Muhammad and more recently Bahá’u’lláh.

2. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    According to my understanding this is true.

Basically one could ask the question in reverse - Why would Yahweh abolish that which He had gone to all the trouble of having the Jews exiled from Egypt for? Ie why would he establish all these social laws just to have them abolished?

According to my understanding of the Baha'i perspective, it is that the social aspects of the law (as opposed to the moral aspects of the law) are suited to the needs and requirements of the age in which they were revealed. Accordingly for example because the Jews were no longer living under the organised society of the egyptians with judges to appeal to, martial law was established (the law of eye for an eye tooth for a tooth). By comparison the Jews in the time of Jesus were living under the empire of the romans, and could appeal to organised law to deal with injustice. So the law of eye for an eye was adapted to "turn the other cheek" and martial law was abolished. So basically what it boils down to from a Baha'i perspective is that the law that Yahweh revealed was suitable for the time and place it was revealed, and the Gospel law was suitable for the time it was revealed. Then the law revealed by Yahweh as contained in the Quran was suited to the needs and requirements of the age in which it was revealed as there were savage tribes existing which had yet to be brought under the tent of civilisation, and whom Islam was destined to influence.

According to my understanding what this is saying is that a person is not a Jew who outwardly practices the social aspects of the Mosaic law, but inwardly is morally corrupt, rather a person is a true Jew who has cleansed the heart from immorality.

To reiterate, Jesus came to abolish certain social aspects of the law which were replaced by Gospel law, as they were not fitted to pragmatic needs and requirements, then under a differing set of social requirements a different social law was revealed. It is like a physician, when the body suffers from high blood pressure the prescription for low blood pressure will not be given as this could worsen the condition of the patient. Then later on if the patient is suffering low blood pressure the prescription for high blood pressure will not be given. Likewise the social prescription given to the body of humanity varies accordingly to pragmatic needs and requirements.

Kind regards :)

3. CG Didymus

CG Didymus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,944
    Religion:
    undecided
    The question I always ask is way God had the death penalty by stoning for certain laws like breaking the Sabbath, and then, not only the death penalty, but even the Sabbath were done away with. Laws that were said to be forever I think it says. But the biggest theological difference I think is how Jesus had the authority to forgive sins and that by believing in him a person's sins were forgiven and they were thus qualified to go to heaven. Other religions, and probably Islam included, makes it so a person has to "work" for their salvation. Then the Baha'is come along and change everything by saying their is no "hell" to be saved from. It makes really wonder if it is God making this stuff up or people.