• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can O.T. christian & germanic religion be co-practiced

Can pagan germanic religion and traditional christianity be co-practiced? /theistically?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever considered that in doing this you are making a mockery of real seekers? There are people out there, people who I know personally, who soul-search and agonise for days and nights over the religious question. We have members on here who have made thread after thread begging people for help because these people feel so lost and know not where to turn. All they want to do is find G-d or accept atheism, or whatever it may be and they are in pain right down to their very souls because of it.

You, on the other hand, take label after label and then claim to present different arguments. I'm sorry but you cannot do that without thorough exploration of these faiths, which can sometimes take years and years. Not mere weeks. You are not doing real seekers any favours and it would be best if you just quit and label yourself as what you actually are.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Seriously, don't you give a ****? You are making a mockery of real seekers and you don't care. I'm starting to think you have some kind of disorder. You can't even respond when challenged.
You're just blathering. Is this your only hobby?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
You're just blathering. Is this your only hobby?
No, my aim is to drag this thread right into the mire where it belongs. I'm not going to let you get away with pretending to be part of a religion you are not. Not when there are real people having real struggles with this and you just go merrily pretending to be this or that.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No, my aim is to drag this thread right into the mire where it belongs. I'm not going to let you get away with pretending to be a part of a religion you are not. Not when there are real people having real struggles with this and you just go merrily pretending to be this or that.
Thats bizarre. And you have no business telling anyone what to practice etc.

Btw you have changed religions, so this is very hypocritical,

:)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

I have changed religions sincerely and gone through a lot of soul searching. I've also stayed as any given religion for a much longer period of time. Also, I've only been three: Zoroastrian, Christian, Noahide.

No, but you change to this or that it seems at least once a week or so and then claim to represent these religions that you cannot possibly know anything about. If you were truly seeking, you would not change so fast. You would be knee deep in books and research, which does not appear to be the case. This makes your faith look shallow and insincere. This is an offence to those people who are earnestly seeking truth and spirituality. People like Deidre, IllyKitty and others.

Enough of the insincerity. Just tell us what you are.

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Syncretic - I don't think this word means what you think it means.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

You've missed the point entirely. It's not that you're changing religions; it's your reason for changing your religious affiliation. You're not doing it out of a sincere belief - you're doing it so you can "present perspective arguments". It sounds like you're adopting a label just so you can argue or debate from the perspective's of that religions followers. Such casual use & abandoning of labels is a slap in the face to people who've engaged in intense introspection about what they believe and what they sincerely wish to identify as or don't.

I'm actually a syncretic, not randomly changing religions on a whim.

Syncretism is about taking parts of a variety of belief systems which make sense to you; not about changing your label every other day just because "I've presented all the [insert religious belief] perspective arguments, I wanted to.". It looks suspiciously like this is exactly what you're doing - changing religions on a whim.

To be clear, I understand what you're doing in a way. There are times I feel more drawn to Daoist philosophy than Zoroastrian philosophy; there are times when I want to worship the gods and forget the other two - but I don't go changing my religious label whenever one of these moods strikes me. It's insulting to those people who have invested a lot of personal struggle & soul-searching in acquiring or discarding those labels in the first place.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You've missed the point entirely. It's not that you're changing religions; it's your reason for changing your religious affiliation. You're not doing it out of a sincere belief - you're doing it so you can "present perspective arguments". It sounds like you're adopting a label just so you can argue or debate from the perspective's of that religions followers. Such casual use & abandoning of labels is a slap in the face to people who've engaged in intense introspection about what they believe and what they sincerely wish to identify as or don't.

Syncretism is about taking parts of a variety of belief systems which make sense to you; not about changing your label every other day just because "I've presented all the [insert religious belief] perspective arguments, I wanted to.". It looks suspiciously like this is exactly what you're doing - changing religions on a whim.
You're just some random person talking at me in a "general announcement"thread. I'm not interested in your bad suppositions, and this probably isn't a debate forum.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
No, my aim is to drag this thread right into the mire where it belongs. I'm not going to let you get away with pretending to be a part of a religion you are not. Not when there are real people having real struggles with this and you just go merrily pretending to be this or that.
It's okay, Rival. The best opportunity to present education and proper presentation is in the presence of ignorance. This is good to know for the future, when mistakes and misrepresentation are brought to the table.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
As a syncretic, I think I've presented all the xian perspective arguments, I wanted to. I'm changing emphasis to Germanic religion./another aspect of the syncreticism. Changed dirs

~thanks for sharing,

Syncretic

Which Germanic Religion? There's about a dozen out there. It's like saying you're a Christian and other Christians want to know if you're Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, etc. You can be a Norse, Anglo-Saxon and West Germanic Pagan but many people don't mix those because they came from different groups of tribes. There's also sub-groups like Odinism.

Sundance

Premium Member
As a syncretic, I think I've presented all the xian perspective arguments, I wanted to. I'm changing emphasis to Germanic religion./another aspect of the syncreticism. Changed dirs

~thanks for sharing,

Syncretic

@syncretic I very much dig your openness towards other religions. This is very groovy! However, @Rival and Scots, they do have a point. I do agree with them. To constantly flip between religions, man, it is not healthy nor is it ideal. I understand this now, as I myself have fallen victim to it...plenty of times, my dude.

My point, I suppose, is that you don't have to affiliate with any particular religion in order to study it, ask questions about it, or gain an authentic appreciation. Though, it is absolutely helpful (I'm sure that it's important, also) to immerse yourself within that context in order to properly understand it, especially since many religions are those built around the understandings and experiences of specific groups of people (i.e. ethnic groups). Again, I'm learning these things myself.

Also, it's of the utmost importance that if you are going to approach Germanic Religions (or any religion), then again, do it with humility and take your time with it.

Peace, man.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Which Germanic Religion? There's about a dozen out there. It's like saying you're a Christian and other Christians want to know if you're Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, etc. You can be a Norse, Anglo-Saxon and West Germanic Pagan but many people don't mix those because they came from different groups of tribes. There's also sub-groups like Odinism.

If something arises in a thread I might address it.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Seems off topic for this bizarre thread. Also not sure why you're asking me, anyways.

That being said I'm not exclusively norse, and not part of any of those groups.

Contextually, paganism, /I was a pagan years ago, as well,
Has changed somewhat in the groupings. I used to be more of a general pagan, now more specific.
If something arises in a thread I might address it, but I dont do the insulting discussion garbage, so that is it for now.

She was just asking what form of Germanic religion you follow. Wasn't trying to be insulting.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
While there are differences - notably in the names used for continental and island deities (e.g. Ēostre/Ostara [CT] | Iðunn [IS]) - they're practically similar so much so in that they're all recognized as Heathenry (Germanic Paganism). I mean, yes, we have the separations (and some deities exist in one and not the other, or hierarchies are different) but it's not a huge rift, and we all pretty much get along. There won't be such huge differences in where Donnar is not the son of Wotan, for example.

Seems off topic for this bizarre thread. Also not sure why you're asking me, anyways.
Wondering which cultural tradition of Germanic Paganism you're exploring into is off-topic? And you're not sure why they're asking you about the endeavor that you are setting out on? Without debate, I have to wonder if you know just what you're doing.

If something arises in a thread I might address it,
How can you address something if you don't know it?