• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can O.T. christian & germanic religion be co-practiced

Can pagan germanic religion and traditional christianity be co-practiced? /theistically?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Asking you questions about your choice in your announcement thread isn't spam or debate/harassment/etc, sync.

By the way "Germånic" isn't really a word, and would be pronounced "JER-moh-niK". It's just "Germanic", or even Teutonic.

Last edited:

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
While there are differences - notably in the names used for continental and island deities (e.g. Ēostre/Ostara [CT] | Iðunn [IS]) - they're practically similar so much so in that they're all recognized as Heathenry (Germanic Paganism). I mean, yes, we have the separations (and some deities exist in one and not the other, or hierarchies are different) but it's not a huge rift, and we all pretty much get along. There won't be such huge differences in where Donnar is not the son of Wotan, for example.

I knew about the similarities. I just wondered if the OP knew there wasn't a single Heathen religion, just like the Greco-Roman gods are basically the same in Greek and Roman cultures but the stories, names and minor gods are slightly different in the Roman scope, even though they are still Hellenistic gods. Also I've known a few people who like being specific about that sort of thing.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I knew about the similarities. I just wondered if the OP knew there wasn't a single Heathen religion, just like the Greco-Roman gods are basically the same in Greek and Roman cultures but the stories, names and minor gods are slightly different in the Roman scope, even though they are still Hellenistic gods. Also I've known a few people who like being specific about that sort of thing.
Yes , just isnt the thread for this discussion.

:)

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So what did you learn about Heathenry in this day? What didn't you like about it, and what gave you indication that it's not for you? How much exposure did you get to Heathenry?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
So what did you learn about Heathenry in this day? What didn't you like about it, and what gave you indication that it's not for you? How much exposure did you get to Heathenry?

He is no longer a heathen, apparently. At least, if the titles mean anything. Anyway, now that this went to debates I can post my feelings from: "Reverse Christianity"

"Syncreticsm is basically what happens when someone who is spiritually out of tune attempts to jumble everything together because they only have an intellectual understanding of a subject rather than a direct one, IMHO. Their idea is basically that all of these things are representative of principles or energies across cultures, but they have no way to tell -- they are just guessing."

Kapalika

Premium Member
"Syncreticsm is basically what happens when someone who is spiritually out of tune attempts to jumble everything together because they only have an intellectual understanding of a subject rather than a direct one, IMHO. Their idea is basically that all of these things are representative of principles or energies across cultures, but they have no way to tell -- they are just guessing."

Wikipedia:

Syncretism
(/ˈsɪŋkrətɪzəm/) is the combining of different beliefs, while blending practices of various schools of thought. Syncretism involves the merging or assimilation of several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, thus asserting an underlying unity and allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths. Syncretism also occurs commonly in expressions of arts and culture, (known as eclecticism) as well as politics (syncretic politics).

I'd consider myself Syncretic as I basically developed a detailed Satanic system that I later discovered was a rougher understanding of the same thing that is Trika and other related schools. My experience with both has been very direct. I wouldn't say that there is some representative thing across different cultures, just that I got lucky and developed two things that are basically the same or at least complementary.

At no point had I ever denied being a Satanist, or a Hindu, a Shaivite or whatever. I don't consider myself eclectic as I don't think any of these contradict one another. My title or listed religion has varied somewhat over my time here but that's mostly when I want to mix up the aesthetic of what people see when I post. I think at one point I listed a bunch of stuff there but lately I found it the easiest to just include it all in my signature. At any rate an actual syncretic is basically just combining traditions. Wikipedia gives Shintoism and Buddhism as examples in China. Even in Hinduism syncreticism is common particularly in the development of new schools of thought that combine multiple perspectives that turn out to be the same understanding when taken in a greater context. I kind of feel like what I'm doing, is that. That context might not make sense for other people but it does for me. I don't feel like I'm guessing at anything, just experiencing it as it is.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
At no point had I ever denied being a Satanist, or a Hindu, a Shaivite or whatever. I don't consider myself eclectic as I don't think any of these contradict one another. My title or listed religion has varied somewhat over my time here but that's mostly when I want to mix up the aesthetic of what people see when I post. I think at one point I listed a bunch of stuff there but lately I found it the easiest to just include it all in my signature. At any rate an actual syncretic is basically just combining traditions. Wikipedia gives Shintoism and Buddhism as examples in China. Even in Hinduism syncreticism is common particularly in the development of new schools of thought that combine multiple perspectives that turn out to be the same understanding when taken in a greater context. I kind of feel like what I'm doing, is that. That context might not make sense for other people but it does for me. I don't feel like I'm guessing at anything, just experiencing it as it is.

There isn't a judgement there in my statement, it is perfectly fine to do so as long as you realize you are doing it. Bouncing between faiths isn't syncretism it's just being silly, but borrowing between them and keeping them is just doing a roll-your-own-path, which for a LHP-type person is ideal. Ultimately, it is just a matter of whether you are clever enough to come up with your own expressions or you feel the need to lean on something in the past. Neither are "wrong", just different ways to the same place. Personally, I just find too much wrong in any existing belief to use them as a source of information, so I prefer not to. Are you really a "whatever" if you adapt only one part of their belief? That's why I don't bother... I practice my brand of Satanism, and anyone else's is irrelevant. :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
@syncretic I very much dig your openness towards other religions. This is very groovy! However, @Rival and Scots, they do have a point. I do agree with them. To constantly flip between religions, man, it is not healthy nor is it ideal. I understand this now, as I myself have fallen victim to it...plenty of times, my dude.

My point, I suppose, is that you don't have to affiliate with any particular religion in order to study it, ask questions about it, or gain an authentic appreciation. Though, it is absolutely helpful (I'm sure that it's important, also) to immerse yourself within that context in order to properly understand it, especially since many religions are those built around the understandings and experiences of specific groups of people (i.e. ethnic groups). Again, I'm learning these things myself.

Also, it's of the utmost importance that if you are going to approach Germanic Religions (or any religion), then again, do it with humility and take your time with it.

Peace, man.
You really need to speak for yourself. 'Syncretic", 'is a type of religious adherence, and my theism doesn't change. Ideas can be incorporated from say other religions, but they aren't worshipped as gods.

So, you're completely wrong.

What you are doing is literally "changing"religions, which I never do, since the syncreticism is within parameters.

Last edited:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
You really need to speak for yourself. 'Syncretic", 'is a type of religious adherence, and my theism doesn't change. Ideas can be incorporated from say other religions, but they aren't worshipped as gods.

So, you're completely wrong.

What you are doing is literally "changing"religions, which I never do, since the syncreticism is within parameters.

Again, I admit this about myself, and I can only speak from my own end, I suppose. You are correct. However, my question still stands: Why do you feel the need to identify with any particular part of your mixture, rather than simply be you – a Syncretist? Especially for the purpose of debating or presenting some kind of perspective?

Why not just speak from the perspective of a Syncretic, rather than either a Christian or a Germanic Pagan? Your perspective would surely be unique! Study both deeply and combine the two in your own way. Or you could practice the two side-by-side. I would think that this is possible.

Last edited: