• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can O.T. christian & germanic religion be co-practiced

Can pagan germanic religion and traditional christianity be co-practiced? /theistically?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muffled

Jesus in me
If you are to label it as a deception, you must first prove your god's open-ended threat. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke and fluffing your own ego.

You also completely misunderstood what I meant in your pink-text quote. That means that it's up to interpretation just what your god is supposed to be saving us from. You'll get as many answers as there are Christian sects.

If you are speaking of my God then the Bible is proof. If you were saying "you are" then the Proof is only in the Holy Spirit.

I believe I speak the Word. That might be thought of by some as a claim to fame but for me it simply means I am a lowly servant.

Again, I believe God is not going to go by the interpretations of men in His judgement. He knows quite well what He needs to save us from.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
If you are speaking of my God then the Bible is proof.
No, it's not. The bible is the only evidence of your god, to be sure, but it's not proof to his claims of salvation and threats of damnation.

Again, I believe God is not going to go by the interpretations of men in His judgement.
And again, you're either misunderstanding what I'm saying or willfully misinterpreting it - twisting my words. As this is the second time, I'm inclined to believe the later, as I've explained it. Your god might know what he's "saving us from", but the interpretations of his vague warnings are nonetheless many.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Wondering which cultural tradition of Germanic Paganism you're exploring into is off-topic? And you're not sure why they're asking you about the endeavor that you are setting out on? Without debate, I have to wonder if you know just what you're doing.

How can you address something if you don't know it?
This is merely a random assertion.

Asking you questions about your choice in your announcement thread isn't spam or debate/harassment/etc, sync.

By the way "Germånic" isn't really a word, and would be pronounced "JER-moh-niK". It's just "Germanic", or even Teutonic.

Who cares if you don't like the way I'm spelling "germanic"? That label isn't for a general word spelling

It's been less than a day.

Extreme fiction.
Although not a religious "pagan", my first religious reading were myths 'norse , first, and over the years, celtic to an extent.

So what did you learn about Heathenry in this day? What didn't you like about it, and what gave you indication that it's not for you? How much exposure did you get to Heathenry?
Just random inference again. Not reality.

Probably because I infer very little, and state what I mean plainly.
Yes, plainly fiction.

I'll try to remember that you know what's universally Heathen, having been exposed to it for less than a day.
Again, this strange assertion, that you made up from who knows what/where. You don't seem capable of a religious discussion.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The problem is that you aren't rectifying the assertions.
No, I actually do. Often. The problem is where you either say I'm speaking gibberish (despite clear, pertinent terminology), misrepresent what I'm saying, or delete your own posts that are relevant - which is why I've started quoting everything you say that I reply to.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
This is a lot to quote me from, syncretic. Almost seems... what was the word you used? Obsessive.

Wondering which cultural tradition of Germanic Paganism you're exploring into is off-topic? And you're not sure why they're asking you about the endeavor that you are setting out on? Without debate, I have to wonder if you know just what you're doing.

How can you address something if you don't know it?

This is merely a random assertion.
Nonsense, it was entirely relevant to another user asking you which specific Germanic tradition you were exploring. And also asking you how you can hope to address or learn from something if you don't know what it is. Questions, by the way, which you never deigned to answer.

Asking you questions about your choice in your announcement thread isn't spam or debate/harassment/etc, sync.

By the way "Germånic" isn't really a word, and would be pronounced "JER-moh-niK". It's just "Germanic", or even Teutonic.
Who cares if you don't like the way I'm spelling "germanic"? That label isn't for a general word spelling
If you're looking to do something the proper way - even implementing syncretism - then there most certainly is a right way to spell things. I was trying to offer you some linguistic help there, but it seems as everything you'd rather bite the hand that gives.

Which makes it seem here like syncretism - to you - is taking anything and everything that you like or find moderately interesting and using it in whatever way strikes your fancy (and for however long), irrespective of the host culture that you're stealing from.

It's been less than a day.
Extreme fiction.
You announced (now changed, and sadly unquoted by anyone) your exploration into the "Germanic religion" July 16th of this year. After asking one question (and saying "You're Asatru, so never mind"), you then announced that "the Germanic religion" wasn't for you, ending your forum foray into Heathenry on July 16th of this year. Less than a day.

Although not a religious "pagan", my first religious reading were myths 'norse , first, and over the years, celtic to an extent.
I'm using non norse names though, a small eclectic mix of persons mythic
That's great, but what you claimed to be "extreme fiction" was not in reference to your personal life, but your announcements and actions on this forum. I don't know you - I can't comment to your personal life. Only what you bring here, and what you bring here seems to be more than a little eclectic, and a lot blind to advice, correction, and peer review.

So what did you learn about Heathenry in this day? What didn't you like about it, and what gave you indication that it's not for you? How much exposure did you get to Heathenry?
Just random inference again. Not reality.
Nothing in what you quoted me are sufficiently answered at all by your answer or accusation. They are questions to you, not inferences and certainly not random.

Probably because I infer very little, and state what I mean plainly.
Yes, plainly fiction.
Now comes the fun part where you have to prove that this is fiction, and back up your many accusations towards me. Prove that I make inferences, or hide my meaning behind word play, and that your accusation that my statement there is "fiction" is not you being slanderously dismissive.

I'll try to remember that you know what's universally Heathen, having been exposed to it for less than a day.
Again, this strange assertion, that you made up from who knows what/where. You don't even seem capable of a reality based religious discussion, much less anything nuanced.
A retort that I made to your statement that was:

Yes, and it's your opinion/perspective. Doesn't mean it's universal, it obviously isn't.

Inferring that what I presented here, to you, was not Basic Heathenry but rather my own personal perspective. And having been given no answer by you in regards to your experiences with Heathenry, do tell me what I'm left to work with other than your direct "exploration" into the religion that lasted less than a day?

Get sorted before you start making more accusations, sync.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Should I even read this?^

What are you talking about...

Anyways,

Done discussing what amounts to basically nothing
Marvelous dismissal, sync, thank you for proving my point. If I might suggest, a more apt nickname would be "un-syncretic", if you are so unwilling to listen to anything your peers have to say, even for consideration.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Heathenry
"Heathenry" isn't used by everyone. Some don't like or use that label, and it can also be equated to a specificism rather than a very general label. Pagan isn't technically apt for the thread topic, either, because the thread premise is broader than that, really.

/same reason there

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Technically yes if you look at it historically. Old Testament scripture is a mixture of Semitics paganism synthesized into something unique. Even more important is that we still have some understanding of Semitic paganism so you could still synthesize it directly into Germanic paganism. Now if there is doctrine you find useful then go ahead, it does not matter.

Me though, I heavily synthesize Semitic/Arabian polytheism with Greek polytheism for purposes of analytical study since Semitic paganism is very scattered. Even more importantly is that I still retain a lot of Islamic influences though since I view it as a unique and to some extent inferior blending of Judaic monotheism with Arabian polytheism.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
"Heathenry" isn't used by everyone.
You're right, it's not. It's used by those who belong to religions worshiping Northern European gods, rather than say Greek or Celtic. "Heathenry, also termed Heathenism or Germanic Neopaganism, is a modern Pagan religion. Classified as a new religious movement, its practitioners model their faith on the pre-Christian belief systems adhered to by the Germanic peoples of Iron Age and Early Medieval Europe."

Within this designation are groups such as Ásatrú and Forn Sed, or continental groups like Wotanism. If you must, imagine it as Heathenry being to Ásatrú what Christianity is to Anglicans.

Pagan isn't technically apt for the thread topic, either, because the thread premise is broader than that, really.
Now it is, as you've changed it. Yet originally it was in regards to your brief foray into - as you put it - "the Germanic religion". Which is completely relevant to Paganism.

But go on, shrug this away too.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Not very well, as I've seen tried. The cultures are just too different.

I admit my ignorance of Germanic Paganism but I would not be astonished by it. Semitic cults were just harsh and when you have deities like Moloch who are only appeased through child sacrifice it is very hard to reconcile even acknowledging the polytheism of that society.
Even Muhammad's own father was supposed to be sacrificed to the pagan incarnation of Allah when in Makkah. On to of this people would sacrifice camels by the hundreds in appeasement to the gods. This was a very common thing and this is the start of Muhammad's own bitterness against the pagans at this time.

Not all Paganism is equal and many remnants should be ignored and left back in time. It is only traditionalists who romanticize the entirety of polytheistic cults.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Now it is, as you've changed it. Yet originally it was in regards to your brief foray into - as you put it - "the Germanic religion". Which is completely relevant to Paganism.

But go on, shrug this away too.
Hmm it's called the edit feature, and the purpose being, to make the thread premise a understandable debate subject.

If logical and premise relevant debate isn't your interest, then, yes, that might bother you.