• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can O.T. christian & germanic religion be co-practiced

Can pagan germanic religion and traditional christianity be co-practiced? /theistically?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jumi

Regarding the poll, I think they can. It just depends on how you believe in each of them and what point of history you choose "traditional" to come from. Many already think "OT" is hard to reconcile with the NT. There was considerable amounts of syncretism at various time, where beliefs mixed. Some forced conversions and also willing ones where people didn't really know the new religion made people adopt syncretic approaches.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Again, I admit this about myself, and I can only speak from my own end, I suppose. You are correct. However, my question still stands: Why do you feel the need to identify with any particular part of your mixture, rather than simply be you – a Syncretist? Especially for the purpose of debating or presenting some kind of perspective?

Why

Syncretism differs, ex messianic judaism, and u.u. are both syncretic religions, in their own way. The description denotes the practice, just like any other religion. There is a logic to using a non vague description.
Anyways, I think I'm going to leave this subject,

Have a good day:handfist:

Last edited:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Syncretism differs, ex messianic judaism, and u.u. are both syncretic religions, in their own way. The description denotes the practice, just like any other religion. There is a logic to using a non vague description.
Anyways, I think I'm goung to leave this subject,

Have a good day:handfist:

You too, man. Peace. :peace:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
How do Odin, Thor and Jesus get along?
While I couldn't exactly answer for the Gods, given their examples I would say not well. With Jesus, you listen to him (or else), "turning the other cheek" is big (and hypocritical), and he's the only being that can save you from... jury's out on that, but it's bad and always ends up being what he's going to do to you if you don't believe in him.

With Odin and Thor, there is no cheek-turning. If someone has wronged you, you get even with what you are owed. They're not going to save you, because you can save yourself from whatever might come. Rather than sit atop Hliðskjalf and issue orders and mandates, Odin travels the worlds and listens to others. Learning, enjoying, and sharing in their stories.

There are likely many more differences that I can't think of first thing in the morning, but I do not think they would get along at all.

Regarding the poll, I think [the two religions] can.
The First Commandment kind of throws a wrench into any co-mingling of the faiths. Not to mention the laundry list of restrictions and "thou shalt not's" given to every slight infraction, the automatic assumption of human guilt and sinfulness, and the insistence upon the necessity of salvation. No, the two cannot be co-practiced very well at all. Everyone who tries ends up just practicing Paganism with a Christian veneer, which in Christian terms is not Christianity, and is highly heretical.

Jumi

While I couldn't exactly answer for the Gods, given their examples I would say not well. With Jesus, you listen to him (or else), "turning the other cheek" is big (and hypocritical), and he's the only being that can save you from... jury's out on that, but it's bad and always ends up being what he's going to do to you if you don't believe in him.

With Odin and Thor, there is no cheek-turning. If someone has wronged you, you get even with what you are owed. They're not going to save you, because you can save yourself from whatever might come. Rather than sit atop Hliðskjalf and issue orders and mandates, Odin travels the worlds and listens to others. Learning, enjoying, and sharing in their stories.

There are likely many more differences that I can't think of first thing in the morning, but I do not think they would get along at all.
That's not the only view about Jesus that has existed.

wikipedia said:

The First Commandment kind of throws a wrench into any co-mingling of the faiths. Not to mention the laundry list of restrictions and "thou shalt not's" given to every slight infraction, the automatic assumption of human guilt and sinfulness, and the insistence upon the necessity of salvation. No, the two cannot be co-practiced very well at all. Everyone who tries ends up just practicing Paganism with a Christian veneer, which in Christian terms is not Christianity, and is highly heretical.
In today's world it's considered highly heretical, but at different times in history most Christians weren't literalists. They had made the stories fit their own ideals and what was seen as weak or shameful was woven into heroism.

Given how long it took to complete conversion of some pagans even by using forcible methods to enforce more orthodox views, it's safe to assume that most common folk ignored or were ignorant of larger parts of the Bible.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So you give us... fiction. If you're worshiping a story figure based on Jesus, are you really worshiping Jesus? He was not a Germanic warrior, so pretending that he was just so it meshes well with Heathenry is silly.
In today's world it's considered highly heretical, but at different times in history most Christians weren't literalists.
Yes well there's no point in speaking for the past. If we're comparing Christianity with Germanic Paganism, and asking if they can be worshipped together, the only answers worth giving are for today. Not yestercentury.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

In today's world it's considered highly heretical, but at different times in history most Christians weren't literalists. They had made the stories fit their own ideals and what was seen as weak or shameful was woven into heroism.

Given how long it took to complete conversion of some pagans even by using forcible methods to enforce more orthodox views, it's safe to assume that most common folk ignored or were ignorant of larger parts of the Bible.
I think you might be putting a tad too much stock into what rp is stating about christianity. I personally have no idea what he is inferring, generally, except for the theism, polytheism, part.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe if one has received Jesus as Lord and Savior an interest in Pagan religions might be allowed. He would certainly guide a person away from it if it were harmful.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Salvation isn't a deception. The arguments against the idea of salvation, are what I was referring to. Context,

I believe I see it now, the deception he fell for:

The Ragin Pagan said

"he's the only being that can save you from... jury's out on that, but it's bad and always ends up being what he's going to do to you if you don't believe in him." which he characterizes as the Christian way while "If someone has wronged you, you get even with what you are owed. They're not going to save you, because you can save yourself from whatever might come." he characterizes as Odin's way.

I believe that is true. It is a fallacy to believe one may save oneself from very much let alone a wrathful God who hates sin.

I believe this is another fallacy that one may judge what is sin and tell God He is wrong about it. I believe the judgement of God is still operational that what He calls sin is sin.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
If you are to label it as a deception, you must first prove your god's open-ended threat. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke and fluffing your own ego.

You also completely misunderstood what I meant in your pink-text quote. That means that it's up to interpretation just what your god is supposed to be saving us from. You'll get as many answers as there are Christian sects.

Last edited:

Jumi

So you give us... fiction. If you're worshiping a story figure based on Jesus, are you really worshiping Jesus? He was not a Germanic warrior, so pretending that he was just so it meshes well with Heathenry is silly.
That's how syncretism worked in the past, through poetry and storytelling that took parts from conservative tradition and mixed them with the new religions. Most people had never read the Bible, much less understood what Christian scholarly "elites" at the time believed.

People were going to church while holding ancient tribal traditions into the 20th century in my country. It took demolishing pagan sites, building churches there and various educational measures to completely remove syncretism nearly a millenia after Christianity became equal to state power. Probably most didn't even see a disconnect between the two as they had lived together for centuries despite stronger attempts to divorce them under protestantism which required uniformity.

Yes well there's no point in speaking for the past. If we're comparing Christianity with Germanic Paganism, and asking if they can be worshipped together, the only answers worth giving are for today. Not yestercentury.
If something worked back then, why not now? It might not be logical to outsiders, but as anyone knows, most faith isn't bound to logic.