• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God's ways be known?

rrobs

Isa 55:8-9 is often used to prove that believers, as children of God, can not truly understand their own father.

8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.​

At first glance these verses do seem to say that we can never know our God, that He is just too far above us to comprehend. By accepting that God is incomprehensible it becomes easy to accept impossibilities such as the trinity, transubstantiation, the saints in heaven, and many other non-biblical ideas. Nobody can possibly understand let alone comprehend three beings in one, but if God is taken to be above our understanding it can, and has unfortunately become the "cornerstone "of the Christian doctrine.

So, exactly whose thoughts is God talking about?

Isa 55:7,

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Well, that certainly puts a new light on the matter. No commentary necessary. Just read what's written and it becomes clear that it is the non-believer who is spoken of in the next 2 verses. It's quite true that God's ways and thoughts are far above those of the natural man, the non-born again individual. But what about those who seek to know God by reading and studying His word, the Bible?

Let's start by backing up one more verse in this section of Isaiah,

Isa 55:6,

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Why would God ask us to seek Him if we couldn't understand Him? Wouldn't that be a cruel joke indeed? Furthermore verse 6 clearly says he may be found. He can be found because He is near. He is not some mysterious concept beyond our comprehension. He can be understood as easily as we understand that two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen make water, or that the sky is blue.

Eph 5:1,

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
God wants us to follow Him. The word "followers" is the Greek word "mimetes" which is recognizable as our English word "mimic." How can one mimic something that is incomprehensible? They can't. If God wants us to mimic Him, it becomes necessary that we understand Him.

A search of the phrase "that ye may know" in the Bible (KJV) shows that God does want us to know. It can be found no less than 17 times in the scriptures. Perhaps the epitome of "that ye may know" is found in Ephesians.

Eph 1:17-21,

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
It certainly doesn't appear from these verses that God wants to keep us in the dark. He wants us to know without a doubt the exceeding greatness of His power which He demonstrated by sending His son to redeem sinners.

1Cor 2:15-16,

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
How can we judge all things unless we are fully informed as to who God is? Do we have the mind of Christ or not? Does Christ understand God? Whatever Christ knows about God, we, as born again believers, can also know. That's what "we have the mind of Christ" means or words have no meaning and we may as well throw the Bible in the trash.

Some will undoubtedly bring up the following verse in Romans to prove we can't know God.

Rom 11:33,

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable [are] his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Taken out of context, it does seem to say we can't know God. But what is the context? The book of Romans tells us how God, through the life and work of His son Jesus Christ, was able to defeat sin and death. The plan He used (the logos of John 1:1) was nothing short of the most brilliant plan ever devised. God had to correct the mistake made by one man with free will, i.e. Adam. He had to do it through the second Adam, i.e. Jesus Christ who also had free will. Now Jesus could hardly be considered a second Adam if he were God. Adam was a man and therefore our redeemer also had to be man.

1Tim 2:5,

For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;​

Jesus was not some grotesque kind of god-man, but a man just like Adam. It would have been much easier for God to have simply come down to Adam and Eve and shed His blood right then and there instead of the temporary measure of giving them animal skins to cover themselves. But as a just God, He had to correct the mistake made by one man by way of another man, Jesus Christ, the second Adam. That was not so easy. But God managed to come up with just such a plan, whereas no man could have ever dreamed up the solution to the problem. It is dishonest to use this verse to justify any nonsensical theo-unlogical idea someone chooses to propound. It simply means God's plan, the logos, was eminently profound, deep, and brilliant.

I offer the following as proof that we can know our God, that there is no need to wonder.

Col 3:10,

And have put on the new [man], which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
God, by the work of His dear son Jesus Christ, created a whole new creation within the born again believer. It is not an improved version of the flesh (in which there is no good thing [Rom 7:18]), but a whole new creation. The Bible explains that new creation and it does so in such a way that we are never left in the dark as to who God is and what He has done for us. We can know. I'd run from any pulpit that promoted the idea that God is beyond our comprehension. If such an idea were true, then why does anything at all come out of that pulpit? It is admittedly coming from a perspective of ignorance. Our God is much bigger than that!

Finally, I offer the following verses to show that we can know the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Prov 14:6,

A scorner seeketh wisdom, and [findeth it] not: but knowledge [is] easy unto him that understandeth.​

Isa 35:8,

And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it [shall be] for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err [therein].​

Matt 11:25,

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.​

Jas 3:17,

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [and] easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
If you want to know God, you only need study His Word wherein He makes Himself known to those who hunger and thirst for truth. He is a personal God who longs for you to understand who He is and what He has done for you. He holds nothing back when it comes to life and Godliness.

2 Pet 1:3,

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:​

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Those are all compelling verses from the bible.

However the storyline from Genesis to Revelation is too fantastical for me to reasonably buy into it. It goes outside the bounds of being real.

I see too many holes in its logic, and happenstance to believe in it.

Otherwise i would have believed.

rrobs

Those are all compelling verses from the bible.

However the storyline from Genesis to Revelation is too fantastical for me to reasonably buy into it. It goes outside the bounds of being real.

I see too many holes in its logic, and happenstance to believe in it.

Otherwise i would have believed.
I may be wrong, but my guess is that what you consider too fantastical is what you've heard from the Orthodox Church and not from your own in depth study of the scriptures. And even when someone does do an independent study, it is usually clouded by preconceived church ideas. After all, Rome has had 2,000 years to promote their ideas, most of which are decidedly non-scriptural. They were very convincing in their ways. For a good part of those 2,000 years they would kill anyone who disagreed with their mystical teachings. Probably the only reason I don't get burned at the stake today is that they've done their job so well over the years that non-trinitarians are no longer considered a threat to their coffers. The brainwashing has been totally achieved and fully ensconced in modern Christendom.

rrobs

Sometimes it seems like Christians spend more time trying to correct other Christians' theological beliefs than anyone else does.
I'm not trying to correct anyone of anything. I'm simply holding forth God's Word as we were told to do.

Eph 4:15,

But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, [even] Christ:​

God never told me I had to make people believe. I just speak. It's His job to open your eyes to the truth, not mine.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Isa 55:8-9 is often used to prove that believers, as children of God, can not truly understand their own father.

8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.​

At first glance these verses do seem to say that we can never know our God, that He is just too far above us to comprehend. By accepting that God is incomprehensible it becomes easy to accept impossibilities such as the trinity, transubstantiation, the saints in heaven, and many other non-biblical ideas. Nobody can possibly understand let alone comprehend three beings in one, but if God is taken to be above our understanding it can, and has unfortunately become the "cornerstone "of the Christian doctrine.

So, exactly whose thoughts is God talking about?

Isa 55:7,

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Well, that certainly puts a new light on the matter. No commentary necessary. Just read what's written and it becomes clear that it is the non-believer who is spoken of in the next 2 verses. It's quite true that God's ways and thoughts are far above those of the natural man, the non-born again individual. But what about those who seek to know God by reading and studying His word, the Bible?

Let's start by backing up one more verse in this section of Isaiah,

Isa 55:6,

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Why would God ask us to seek Him if we couldn't understand Him? Wouldn't that be a cruel joke indeed? Furthermore verse 6 clearly says he may be found. He can be found because He is near. He is not some mysterious concept beyond our comprehension. He can be understood as easily as we understand that two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen make water, or that the sky is blue.

Eph 5:1,

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
God wants us to follow Him. The word "followers" is the Greek word "mimetes" which is recognizable as our English word "mimic." How can one mimic something that is incomprehensible? They can't. If God wants us to mimic Him, it becomes necessary that we understand Him.

A search of the phrase "that ye may know" in the Bible (KJV) shows that God does want us to know. It can be found no less than 17 times in the scriptures. Perhaps the epitome of "that ye may know" is found in Ephesians.

Eph 1:17-21,

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
It certainly doesn't appear from these verses that God wants to keep us in the dark. He wants us to know without a doubt the exceeding greatness of His power which He demonstrated by sending His son to redeem sinners.

1Cor 2:15-16,

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
How can we judge all things unless we are fully informed as to who God is? Do we have the mind of Christ or not? Does Christ understand God? Whatever Christ knows about God, we, as born again believers, can also know. That's what "we have the mind of Christ" means or words have no meaning and we may as well throw the Bible in the trash.

Some will undoubtedly bring up the following verse in Romans to prove we can't know God.

Rom 11:33,

O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable [are] his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Taken out of context, it does seem to say we can't know God. But what is the context? The book of Romans tells us how God, through the life and work of His son Jesus Christ, was able to defeat sin and death. The plan He used (the logos of John 1:1) was nothing short of the most brilliant plan ever devised. God had to correct the mistake made by one man with free will, i.e. Adam. He had to do it through the second Adam, i.e. Jesus Christ who also had free will. Now Jesus could hardly be considered a second Adam if he were God. Adam was a man and therefore our redeemer also had to be man.

1Tim 2:5,

For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;​

Jesus was not some grotesque kind of god-man, but a man just like Adam. It would have been much easier for God to have simply come down to Adam and Eve and shed His blood right then and there instead of the temporary measure of giving them animal skins to cover themselves. But as a just God, He had to correct the mistake made by one man by way of another man, Jesus Christ, the second Adam. That was not so easy. But God managed to come up with just such a plan, whereas no man could have ever dreamed up the solution to the problem. It is dishonest to use this verse to justify any nonsensical theo-unlogical idea someone chooses to propound. It simply means God's plan, the logos, was eminently profound, deep, and brilliant.

I offer the following as proof that we can know our God, that there is no need to wonder.

Col 3:10,

And have put on the new [man], which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
God, by the work of His dear son Jesus Christ, created a whole new creation within the born again believer. It is not an improved version of the flesh (in which there is no good thing [Rom 7:18]), but a whole new creation. The Bible explains that new creation and it does so in such a way that we are never left in the dark as to who God is and what He has done for us. We can know. I'd run from any pulpit that promoted the idea that God is beyond our comprehension. If such an idea were true, then why does anything at all come out of that pulpit? It is admittedly coming from a perspective of ignorance. Our God is much bigger than that!

Finally, I offer the following verses to show that we can know the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Prov 14:6,

A scorner seeketh wisdom, and [findeth it] not: but knowledge [is] easy unto him that understandeth.​

Isa 35:8,

And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it [shall be] for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err [therein].​

Matt 11:25,

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.​

Jas 3:17,

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [and] easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
If you want to know God, you only need study His Word wherein He makes Himself known to those who hunger and thirst for truth. He is a personal God who longs for you to understand who He is and what He has done for you. He holds nothing back when it comes to life and Godliness.

2 Pet 1:3,

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:​
Unknowable means beyond full comprehension. Various people in the Old Testament knew God, ; God sent angels literally to people in the OT, so forth.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to correct anyone of anything. I'm simply holding forth God's Word as we were told to do.

Eph 4:15,

But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, [even] Christ:​

God never told me I had to make people believe. I just speak. It's His job to open your eyes to the truth, not mine.
You just speak and like we've seen many Christians do here, the topics you just so happen to speak about are about correcting other Christians' theological stances. Purely coincidental I'm sure.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You just speak and like we've seen many Christians do here, the topics you just so happen to speak about are about correcting other Christians' theological stances. Purely coincidental I'm sure.
How could it be Tumah?? Their scripture is clear:

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. (1 Cor: 14:33)

Guess that means they're all wrong :smirk:

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
For the Abrahamic God, I would guess so. He is usually described as "unknowable". Feels like a cop-out IMO, but whatever.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
they've done their job so well over the years that non-trinitarians are no longer considered a threat to their coffers. The brainwashing has been totally achieved and fully ensconced in modern Christendom.

'They', or any real Christian, or anyone who has read the Bible?

Matthew 2:2 wise men worshipping Jesus
Matthew 3:17 the Father literally saying from Heaven that Jesus is His son.
Matthew 11:27 the Father only revealed via the Son.
Matthew 14:33 Disciples worshipping Jesus.

Last edited:

rrobs

There is no need for anybody to correct anybody's doctrine. The scripture themselves are good for doctrine, reproof, and correction.

2 Tim 3:16,

All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:​

The coincidence is that what I said just happens to be what the Word said. Technically there actually is no coincidence. I know what I'm saying is what the Word says. It may not be what tradition says but tradition isn't any guide to truth. Somewhere in the Gospels Jesus told the Pharisees that their tradition voided the Word of God. Same is true today with the Orthodox Church tradition. They may have been saying that God is triune for 2,000 years but that does not change the truth that Jesus is the son of God, and therefore, as any semblance of logic dictates, he is not own father, he is not God. There has been no "my interpretation" here. All the scriptures I've quoted are simple enough to understand to those with the eyes to see.

rrobs

'They', or any real Christian, or anyone who has read the Bible?

Matthew 2:2 wise men worshipping Jesus
Matthew 3:17 the Father literally saying from Heaven that Jesus is His son.
Matthew 11:27 the Father only revealed via the Son.
Matthew 14:33 Disciples worshipping Jesus.
You didn't quote enough of my post to tell who "they" are. Like any pronoun, just go back to see it's antecedent. Without actually finding my whole post, I's say "they" refers to the Orthodox Church. At least that would have been my intent.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You didn't quote enough of my post to tell who "they" are. Like any pronoun, just go back to see it's antecedent. Without actually finding my whole post, I's say "they" refers to the Orthodox Church. At least that would have been my intent.
There are different types of non-trinitarians. You'll have to explain your theology further, to know what you are actually saying, without misinterpretation.

outlawState

Deism is dead
Whatever Christ knows about God, we, as born again believers, can also know.
I think you're being a bit flippant. First it is inherently improbable that any mere mortal could know God to the extent that Christ did, "for in him the whole fulness of deity dwells bodily." Col 2:9. Moreover Jn 3:31 "The one who comes from above is above all." I think it is clear that we must bow before Christ's superior knowledge in every sense.

Second the essence of knowing God is not the degree to which you know him, but that you know God at all, i.e. the way in which you know God. To know God through the Spirit is suffiicent as it brings eternal life. Our desire must be to know him Phil 3:10.

Jhn 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Jhn 8:55
Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

But to know God after the flesh is insufficient.

2Co 5:16
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer.

Mat 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,

rrobs

There are different types of non-trinitarians. You'll have to explain your theology further, to know what you are actually saying, without misinterpretation.

Adam, by his free will, brought sin and death into the world which defect was passed on to all his descendent's through his seed (Rom 5:12).

God came up with a plan to fix the problem (Gen 3:10). That plan was the logos of John 1:1. The logos, the plan, involved Jesus, but it was not Jesus as the churches propound. The redeemer had to be a man like us (Heb 2:18, 1 Tim 2:5, et.al.), a lamb from the flock. The flock Jesus came from is people, not God.

This lamb, our Passover, had to be perfect. That is why God planted His seed within Mary's womb. Jesus, like Adam before the fall, had perfect blood. Jesus was latterly a lamb without spot or blemish. All people's blood and hence their very life (Lev17:11) came from Adam. We inherited his death laden blood and so we die. The life force of Jesus, on the other hand, came from God. Jesus' blood was sinless because he came into this world with a seed from God instead of another tainted human. Thus he started life just like the first Adam who also began with perfect blood (Gen 1:31, everything was very good, no sin at that point).

Now here is where the idea of Jesus being God ruins the whole story. Jesus, like us, could sin. He could have accepted the devil's offer of all the kingdoms in the world. But he didn't. Not only didn't he succumb to that temptation, but he also subjugated his will to his father's will (Luk 22:42) when he accepted the most gruesome death imaginable. Had he failed to follow the scriptures to the last jot and tittle, our redemption would be lacking. We would still die in our sins instead of enjoying eternity in paradise. So, ask yourself, "if Jesus were God, what's the big deal that he obeyed himself?" That would be a good question. On the other hand it would be an accomplishment of the ages for a man, with feelings just like you and I, to obey God every second of every day of his life. Making Jesus God totally denigrates what Jesus really accomplished in his life as well as demeaning the incredible plan of God, the logos of John 1:1, to free us from the pains of death and give us life everlasting.

rrobs

I think you're being a bit flippant. First it is inherently improbable that any mere mortal could know God to the extent that Christ did, "for in him the whole fulness of deity dwells bodily." Col 2:9.
Forget what I flippantly said. What does God say? That's what really matters.

1Cor 2:16,
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
What does it mean to have the mind of Christ other than that we have the mind of Christ?

And yes, as you pointed out, the fullness of the godhead does dwell in Christ. He dwells in us.

Col 1:27,

To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
So it's God in Christ, in you. Haven't you heard that in church? They should have told you that. It seems pretty important to me. How else are you going to do the works that Jesus did, even more than he did?

John 14:12,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
I don't think God would have told you that you can do more than Jesus did unless he made the knowledge on how to do that available. It would be hard to follow Jesus with a mind full of cloudy, indistinct ideas.

Perhaps the greatest part of God's plan (the logos of John 1:1) is that He has indeed elevated us mere mortals to the point of being filled with all the fullness of God. It is false piety to say we are just too low to comprehend God. It makes him a liar and us ignorant of His grace towards us in Christ Jesus. I know my father and I'd be glad to introduce Him to anybody who wants to know Him.