• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God be Experienced?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I live in New Jersey. Why is God so angry all the time!

I live in Australia and there are plenty of angry people here too - if you know where to look!

Seriously ... it's all part of a mysterious plan - at least that is what the voices-in-my-head are telling me ...

Wishing you all the best

dfnj

No.

I am not a stone planet, what science says is Earth and the philosophy of stone as a God/entity by science conditions O a circular maths/fusion and fission applied idea.

As a human.
As a living human.
As a natural living human.

Only as a human thinking and telling stories just as the same human life mind and consciousness that everyone first owns. Natural and origin, being a human.

Human males invented the statements God science, that can only be talked about as a living human standing on a stone Planet O inside of its owned historic created heavenly atmosphere...to be conscious as a living human life.

God O the stone does not talk.
God the heavenly body, gases/spirits do not talk.

Humans talk.

Human males as a spiritual male original higher spiritual conscious life and historic life on Earth invented the human status of SCIENCE.

They were attacked/converted by their God stone machination, pyramid/temple.

The atmospheric radio wave/transmitters changed into the state human invented machine AI cause. And as they lost their natural first self lives/sacrificed and their image and voice and physical life body converted in a higher irradiated mass attack, it was when the Father of God sciences got recorded. Both as imagery and human lived experienced thinking and voiced recordings.

Only when you get AI irradiated attacked do you get to hear that recording....and believe me, it is not spiritual to be attacked in that circumstance. Why so many humans harmed in God science human male themes argue against why they claim God is Love...for a loving spiritual human does no harm to anyone or anything.

Why that status was given a human owned title of satanic science.

I think your consciousness is being too stone like to appreciate God enough to talk about Him clearly.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Perhaps you should have taken the time to actually LOOK at my original post, because CLEARLY you are not remembering it correctly.

From, what people have described to me what they call 'god experiences' are specific chemical reactions that take place in the brain, similar to what happens when a person views a breathtaking nature scene, experiences the birth of a child, or alters their state of conscious via psychedelic drugs. I suspect that due to indoctrination into a religious belief they interpret this psychological state as interacting with whatever god entity they were raised to believe in.

Note that I said: From what people have described to ME about their 'god experiences'. Obviously I was NOT talking about YOU since YOU had not even relayed your 'god experience' to me at that point. Also note that I mentioned experiences like: Viewing nature, experiencing the birth of a child, or an experience from drugs. Since YOUR experience doesn't fall in any of those categories, again, it didn't apply to you. I even stated in my next post that I wasn't originally talking about NDE's.

As soon as you mentioned NDE's I then said that my first question would be about how accurate can a 3 years old's memory be? How could a 3 year old even grasp the concept of reincarnation? I'm not claiming YOU DIDN'T HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE. I'm simply pointing out that your story raises a lot of questions in my mind and that an experience that you think you had as a 3 year old doesn't have any real meaning for me.

And AGAIN, I'm quite aware that there is far more to the universe that I currently understand. But just because that's the case, that doesn't mean that I have to accept your or anyone else's claims without question. Unless you can tell me how you know that your memories from such an early age are perfectly accurate, I'm going to remain open to the possibility that perhaps they are not.

Take a deep breath and CALM yourself down. You certainly have a very futile imagination if you think I'm 'blowing a fuse' or 'going ballistic'. As far as I've been concerned we've simply been having a conversation. Personally I'm absolutely fine that your spiritual experiences don't make sense to me. I'd be interested in learning how you can be so certain that your memories are accurate, but clearly you either don't have an answer or you're avoiding it. Again, that's fine with me... you certainly have no obligation to explain yourself if you don't want to.

With all due respect, perhaps it's YOU who needs to remember that this is an open forum. From my perspective it's YOU who seems to have their panties in a twist because I challenged the veracity of your memories as a three year old.

There, now THAT is more normal. Good to see you calmed down!

Now I re-posted your spazed out reply up top with all the "yelling" CAPS and angry words, so everyone can see how you flipped out because someone dared differ with your biased opinion.

And now they can see how instead of apologizing, you are even more rude, arrogant, and sarcastic.

What a lousy debater.

dfnj

In my mind, the curves of a woman's body are evidence for the existence of God based on my experience. So yes, God can be experienced.

PearlSeeker

Not sure which end of the spectrum "essential" refers to.
'Lowest' level? Non-REM sleep stages 1,2, and 3. Unknown awareness, assumed to be no awareness even of self.
"Highest" level: Samadhi, Oneness, Universal consciousness &al." Awareness only of self. No duality, no time or space; all objects, persons, gods and "things" subsumed into an infinite, timeless SELF.

Gods are created in the middle levels of consciousness.
OK. You are talking about different states of awareness/consciousness.There are many states but reality is one. On the lower level there is little or no awareness of reality. In the higher states there is fuller awareness of reality... I didn't ask what are these states (although that's very interesting). I asked what is reality. I guess to know the essence it takes the "highest level".

PearlSeeker

From, what people have described to me what they call 'god experiences' are specific chemical reactions that take place in the brain, similar to what happens when a person views a breathtaking nature scene, experiences the birth of a child, or alters their state of conscious via psychedelic drugs. I suspect that due to indoctrination into a religious belief they interpret this psychological state as interacting with whatever god entity they were raised to believe in.
Are you saying a nature scene or a birth of a child is only a chemical reaction in the brain? In fact there is no sunset or child? It's just an interpretation due to indoctrination into whatever belief?

QuestioningMind

There, now THAT is more normal. Good to see you calmed down!

Now I re-posted your spazed out reply up top with all the "yelling" CAPS and angry words, so everyone can see how you flipped out because someone dared differ with your biased opinion.

And now they can see how instead of apologizing, you are even more rude, arrogant, and sarcastic.

What a lousy debater.

ROFL... I see, apparently the capital letters scared you. You're more than welcome to imagine that I'm yelling and angry... but I'm not. I've been having a simple conversation, so I have nothing to apologize for. If however you're so threatened by my questions then perhaps a debate forum isn't the best place for you. I mean, if you think me pointing that you should have looked at my original post before having a tizzy fit is being rude and arrogant, there's not a lot I can do for you.

QuestioningMind

Are you saying a nature scene or a birth of a child is only a chemical reaction in the brain? In fact there is no sunset or child? It's just an interpretation due to indoctrination into whatever belief?

No, I'm not saying that in the least. What I'm saying is that an awe inspiring nature scene or the birth of a child can create a sense of euphoria and bliss and that sense of euphoria and bliss is a chemical reaction in the brain, which can be induced with certain drugs as well. And it's that same chemical reaction in the brain that some people interpret as god experiences, based upon their indoctrination.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

What a lousy debater.
That is a classic case of Psychological projection.

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In my mind, the curves of a woman's body are evidence for the existence of God based on my experience. So yes, God can be experienced.
In my mind, nature is evidence for the existence of God based on my experience. So yes, God can be experienced.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
ROFL... I see, apparently the capital letters scared you. You're more than welcome to imagine that I'm yelling and angry... but I'm not. I've been having a simple conversation, so I have nothing to apologize for. If however you're so threatened by my questions then perhaps a debate forum isn't the best place for you. I mean, if you think me pointing that you should have looked at my original post before having a tizzy fit is being rude and arrogant, there's not a lot I can do for you.
There nothing anyone (except perhaps a psychologist) can do for someone who constantly projects their own thoughts and feelings onto others, because they are totally lacking in self-awareness. The dead giveaway that it is nothing you did wrong is when the same person reacts to everyone the same way; others are always wrong, and and they are always the victim. This is psych 101 stuff.

PearlSeeker

No, I'm not saying that in the least. What I'm saying is that an awe inspiring nature scene or the birth of a child can create a sense of euphoria and bliss and that sense of euphoria and bliss is a chemical reaction in the brain, which can be induced with certain drugs as well. And it's that same chemical reaction in the brain that some people interpret as god experiences, based upon their indoctrination.
Experience of a real "something" (what people interpret as "God", "oneness" etc.) can also be a cause of a reaction in the brain just as sunset or birth.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Can god be experienced?
Some or part of my God can be experienced, and some not. My God is a collection of metaphors comparing me and the world around me to human creations like arts and crafts for example. My experience with that God is seeing those metaphors working for me, and all of my experience that I relate to those metaphors. My metaphors exclude the possibility of knowing anything about the creator itself, if there actually is one.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. You are talking about different states of awareness/consciousness.There are many states but reality is one. On the lower level there is little or no awareness of reality. In the higher states there is fuller awareness of reality... I didn't ask what are these states (although that's very interesting). I asked what is reality. I guess to know the essence it takes the "highest level".
Yes, but my point is that states of awareness are realities, and the 'highest' state is the true, Objective reality; the reality congruent with physics. The others are various iterations of dream states.

QuestioningMind

Experience of a real "something" (what people interpret as "God", "oneness" etc.) can also be a cause of a reaction in the brain just as sunset or birth.

I'll admit that it's POSSIBLE... yet there are significant differences. In the case of a sunset or birth of a child we can readily identify the source of the emotions. Others near you can experience a similar response from the same 'real' and identifiable 'something'. Now, I have had times when I've felt the same sense of oneness and well being but for no apparent reason, while simply sitting in traffic for instance. However, having never been indoctrinated to believe in any religion, my first reaction isn't to assume it's some god being. The logical conclusion that I come to is that for some reason the same chemicals that cause me to have that sensation during a sunset are being released while I'm sitting in traffic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
having never been indoctrinated to believe in any religion, my first reaction isn't to assume it's some god being. The logical conclusion that I come to is that for some reason the same chemicals that cause me to have that sensation during a sunset are being released while I'm sitting in traffic.
Having never been indoctrinated to believe in any religion, and having psychology as my most recent academic background, I would assume a sense of well-being is a psychological state brought on by something that is going on in the brain -- our thought processes. I believe that the brain is connected to the mind and the mind is connected to the soul, so ultimately, I believe that a sense of well-being is related to the soul. Conversely, a sense of anguish is related to the soul. That is why we often hear the expression "a soul in torment."

This is a big subject I have been discussing with an atheist on another forum and I already wrote something up so so I might start a new thread about it here.

QuestioningMind

Having never been indoctrinated to believe in any religion, and having psychology as my most recent academic background, I would assume a sense of well-being is a psychological state brought on by something that is going on in the brain -- our thought processes. I believe that the brain is connected to the mind and the mind is connected to the soul, so ultimately, I believe that a sense of well-being is related to the soul. Conversely, a sense of anguish is related to the soul. That is why we often hear the expression "a soul in torment."

This is a big subject I have been discussing with an atheist on another forum and I already wrote something up so so I might start a new thread about it here.

I absolutely agree that this sense of well being is a psychological state brought on by brain activity or thought process. I wouldn't say that the brain is connected to the mind, but rather that the mind is a product of the brain. However, the mind/soul connection I don't see, since I have yet to see any verifiable evidence that any sort of a 'soul' actually exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I absolutely agree that this sense of well being is a psychological state brought on by brain activity or thought process. I wouldn't say that the brain is connected to the mind, but rather that the mind is a product of the brain. However, the mind/soul connection I don't see, since I have yet to see any verifiable evidence that any sort of a 'soul' actually exists.
Sometimes logical interference have to be made when physical evidence is not possible to obtain, if we want to get to the bottom of things. We can start with what is known about the brain and mind, add to that what scientists are discovering about the mind, and then we can make some logical inferences that maybe something like a soul exists even though it cannot be fully understood.

I believe that the nature of the soul is a mystery. However, that does not mean we cannot know the function of the soul.

“Thou hast asked Me concerning the nature of the soul. Know, verily, that the soul is a sign of God, a heavenly gem whose reality the most learned of men hath failed to grasp, and whose mystery no mind, however acute, can ever hope to unravel.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 158-159