• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"CA Mayor Removes Pledge of Allegiance from Meetings Because Trump is the Worst"

Shad

Veteran Member
"Ford Greene, the mayor of San Anselmo, California, just pulled a move designed to infuriate conservatives who prefer symbols of patriotism over actual love of the country.

He decided, unilaterally, to end the practice of saying the Pledge of Allegiance at town council meetings. Why? Because it’s a mindless ritual… and because Donald Trump is an ***.

Greene said after the meeting his decision to dump the pledge is intended to demonstrate his continuing disdain for President Donald Trump. In October 2017, Greene began taking a knee during the Pledge of Allegiance at any event he attended, including council meetings.

Regarding his decision to remove the pledge from the Town Council’s routine, Greene said, “For my taste, it’s a little too rote an action. It smacks too much of mindless obedience in a time when independent thinking and independent municipal action is at a premium because there is so little happening on the federal level.

“Over the course of the last two years, as I’ve been taking a knee, I turn around and look at everybody,” Greene said. “People’s hearts don’t really seem to be in it. They’re just doing something out of custom. What’s the point?”
source and more

So, has the Pledge of Allegiance been reduced to a mindless ritual? Something that's been so often repeated that it's lost just about all import in the minds of most Americans. That people may as well be reciting Mary Had A Little Lamb?

Poor guy and his TDS.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Apostles Creed is a Catholic Tradition.

I'm not aware of any other denomination who recites it. I figure, most people don't even know what it is outside of Catholicism.
Then Anglican (Episcopalian) and other Protestant churches also recite Apostles' Creeds.

dianaiad

Yet actions speak louder than words.
should I give you the 'cliche' prize of the week" trophy?

Actions do speak 'louder than words,' but to be honest, it doesn't matter what one does or does not do; everybody uses words to interpret those actions to onlookers.

The same action, viewed by people with very different agendas, will be viewed very, very differently. When I see someone reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, with his/her hand over the heart, I see an action. What that action MEANS? Well, just look at this thread. Many different views.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm okay with it. Promissing to do your job is a bit different than promissing to be allegient to a piece of cloth.
In comparison, is the pledge for upholding the Constitution to which its just a piece of paper, same as the flag is a piece of cloth?

“I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

5 U.S. Code § 3331 - Oath of office

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Post #11 sure made you sound like one.

Kinda reminds me of people who are sure that my low opinion of the ERA makes me a misogynistic Neanderthal who hates women.
Tom
That's just swinging the Bushido sword at the real enemies of this country.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
should I give you the 'cliche' prize of the week" trophy?

Actions do speak 'louder than words,' but to be honest, it doesn't matter what one does or does not do; everybody uses words to interpret those actions to onlookers.

The same action, viewed by people with very different agendas, will be viewed very, very differently. When I see someone reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, with his/her hand over the heart, I see an action. What that action MEANS? Well, just look at this thread. Many different views.
Lets look at Trump. He said he would protect transgender rights. However, he chose Pence (who is vehemently anti-LGBT) as his running mate, he made it so the CDC can't use the word transgender, he rescended Obama's Title IX thingy, and he quit allowing transgender people to serve in the military. He said one thing, but did the exact opposite. Actions speak louder than words. When politicians take their silly oaths, it's just words of theater and ritual spoken to the air. And clearly their actions are often very different than the words they spoke.

SoyLeche

meh...
Lets look at Trump. He said he would protect transgender rights. However, he chose Pence (who is vehemently anti-LGBT) as his running mate, he made it so the CDC can't use the word transgender, he rescended Obama's Title IX thingy, and he quit allowing transgender people to serve in the military. He said one thing, but did the exact opposite. Actions speak louder than words. When politicians take their silly oaths, it's just words of theater and ritual spoken to the air. And clearly their actions are often very different than the words they spoke.

If the oaths were legally binding (as for a witness in court), then it would be one thing. Oaths with nothing backing them are meaningless if the person making them has no honor.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the oaths were legally binding (as for a witness in court), then it would be one thing. Oaths with nothing backing them are meaningless if the person making them has no honor.
Oaths always mean nothing. Spoken or not, a person will act as they will. If their actions would normally follow that oath, their actions will follow. If their actions are normally against that oath, saying a million times won't change a damn thing. Perhaps instead of oaths we should have people sign contracts, because those are legally binding.

SoyLeche

meh...
Oaths always mean nothing. Spoken or not, a person will act as they will. If their actions would normally follow that oath, their actions will follow. If their actions are normally against that oath, saying a million times won't change a damn thing. Perhaps instead of oaths we should have people sign contracts, because those are legally binding.
We do have the "pergury" thing, but other than that I agree with you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Ford Greene, the mayor of San Anselmo, California, just pulled a move designed to infuriate conservatives who prefer symbols of patriotism over actual love of the country.

He decided, unilaterally, to end the practice of saying the Pledge of Allegiance at town council meetings. Why? Because it’s a mindless ritual… and because Donald Trump is an ***.

Greene said after the meeting his decision to dump the pledge is intended to demonstrate his continuing disdain for President Donald Trump. In October 2017, Greene began taking a knee during the Pledge of Allegiance at any event he attended, including council meetings.

Regarding his decision to remove the pledge from the Town Council’s routine, Greene said, “For my taste, it’s a little too rote an action. It smacks too much of mindless obedience in a time when independent thinking and independent municipal action is at a premium because there is so little happening on the federal level.

“Over the course of the last two years, as I’ve been taking a knee, I turn around and look at everybody,” Greene said. “People’s hearts don’t really seem to be in it. They’re just doing something out of custom. What’s the point?”
source and more

So, has the Pledge of Allegiance been reduced to a mindless ritual? Something that's been so often repeated that it's lost just about all import in the minds of most Americans. That people may as well be reciting Mary Had A Little Lamb?

Too bad that it took the mayor so long to wake up to the
folly of the pledge, with despising Trump being the trigger.
But better late than never, eh.

SoyLeche

meh...
In comparison, is the pledge for upholding the Constitution to which its just a piece of paper, same as the flag is a piece of cloth?

“I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

5 U.S. Code § 3331 - Oath of office
An oath to uphold the Constitution is a promise to do the job you were hired for. Still pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but doesn't really bother me much.

Pledging allegiance to a flag feels like swearing undying love to my wife's wedding ring.