• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Businesses Requiring Vaccine Passports

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny how those "bodily autonomy" arguments don't matter when it comes to this. :rolleyes:

They do: Unless this law actively states that everyone should be mandated to get the vaccine, it doesn't infringe on bodily autonomy any more than the requirement not to be naked inside specific establishments. Someone didn't get the vaccine? Fine, but privately owned facilities are free not to endanger the rest of their clientele for that one person.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The shutdown itself is actually weird. The virus doesn't disappear just because we're indoors for an X amount of time. If that be the case, we'd do that for the flu and every other virus. Basically, whoever had it probably passed it to their family and when the lockdown let up, it spread more.

Why would we think the virus will just leave just because everyone was indoors. If it worked, cases wouldn't have increased when lockdowns were let up.

I never got the flu vaccine for the same reason. If it's not broke, don't fix it. It's not specific to COVID just I take the meds I need daily and call it a day. I'm only anti-vax in that I won't take it. Whether other people do or not, I see no issue. If it wasn't effective, that would be a different story.
It’s to starve the virus of hosts, denying it a chance to mutate and to allow the bacteria to die since it can only survive for a certain amount of time. It’s why we have to wipe down surfaces using anti bacterial sanitiser every 30 minutes at work. We have to eradicate it, not just idly stand by while it infects us
Like Such measures are backed by observable scientific data and what we already know about how diseases work in the first place

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Your "free will" not to get vaccinated is there, but so is that of the business. You don't get to force everyone to take extra risk to accommodate your choice.

Who said I do?

I never said I forced anyone to do anything they don't want to do. You're putting false intentions in my mouth. When did I say businesses need to accommodate to my choice?

I just said I'm not taking the vaccine and I disagree with it being mandated by businesses. What they actually do is on them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On paper, it is a good idea. But it has limitations. If something like this becomes mandatory, fakes will be an issue. Further, the burden is still on the business to enforce this thing. If you think getting people to wear a mask is hard, now imagine they have to provide documentation. I wish them the best of luck with that.
We don't need perfection in order to be useful.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Because you shouldn't be forced to get an experimental vaccine from a shady company just to function as normal in society. I'm not going to be the guinea pig for this. I do not see this going far in America as Americans tend to value basic liberties. Or so I hoped.

It seems to me that a considerable portion of them only value "basic liberties" when said liberties are theirs or when they mislabel an infringement on others' safety or rights as a "basic liberty." The vocal, numerous theocratic ideologues among the American population further reinforce this.

Those who most often tout their "freedom of choice/speech" seem to also be the ones most often flouting these values when they're dealing with others' rights, freedoms, and safety. For many, it has largely become a juvenile and self-serving mantra rather than genuine support for liberty.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A very interesting concept:

We can’t have voting ID’s because poor people can’t afford it; it is too difficult to make it happen; it targets those who have more melanin.

BUT

We can get vaccine passports for everyone. :rolleyes:
You noticed!
There is indeed some inconsistency.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Who said I do?

I never said I forced anyone to do anything they don't want to do. You're putting false intentions in my mouth. When did I say businesses need to accommodate to my choice?

I just said I'm not taking the vaccine and I disagree with it being mandated by businesses. What they actually do is on them.

You're objecting to a private business's requirement of proof of vaccination in order to let people inside its premises, consequently saying they should be forced to serve those who haven't been vaccinated even when doing so puts more risk on other clients and staff than serving a vaccinated person does.

It's your problem, not mine, if you can't see the implications of your argument.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If a store owner decides to make taking vaccines mandatory, it takes away a customer's right to go to a store they've been going to for years. Literally forcing a person to either get the vaccine or not would force that costumer to go to another store. While most people will take the vaccine, and that store won't loose money, the ethical issues (mandating vaccines over people's free will) is totally off key.
What do you mean "totally off key"?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We saw the same thing with the masks... at first they were voluntary... then eventually mandatory.
There is a BIG difference between putting a mask on your face that you can take off and getting a shot in your arm that you cannot reverse.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't consider that being forced.
As a business owner, I set my rules.
Those who don't like'm can go elsewhere.
It's always been thus.

If you have someone whose gone to your store for years and set up new rules that he or she should be vaccinated, even though you may not lose that much money, that's a lost costumer.... not because of a factual statistic but on a "probable" risk factor. If majority of people didn't take the vaccine and you felt it was still a high risk factor, you'd lose out on money. I'm sure there are other ways to conclude whether there is actually a risk beyond you being the final decision, no?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
There is a BIG difference between putting a mask on your face that you can take off and getting a shot in your arm that you cannot reverse.
Not when it has been set down by the owner of of a business you must be vaccinated to be on their property.

No shirt
No shoes
No mask
No vaccine
No service.​

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is different though. Throwing on some shoes is a whole different story than being forced to get injected with something we don't yet know enough about.

That's the whole point, people will be "encouraged" right into getting the vaccine...out of necessity. And for the "common good," which has always been a big playing card for totalitarian governments.
People are just like sheep... They just follow the crowd and they believe everything they are told.
Oh, and let's not forget how frightened they all are of dying.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You're objecting to a private business's requirement of proof of vaccination in order to let people inside its premises, consequently saying they should be forced to serve those who haven't been vaccinated even when doing so puts more risk on other clients and staff than serving a vaccinated person does.

It's your problem, not mine, if you can't see the implications of your argument.

I said I disagree with businesses forcing people to be vaccinated to shop at their stores. I never said businesses should do what I tell them to do. I'm saying I disagree if the mandate took place.

The rest are assumptions. Intelligent assumptions, yes, but no... the only time I really care is if I've been going to X store for years and all of the sudden need to get vaccinated to shop there again. I can't change the store's policy but I do have the right to disagree with it. The problem is, people would more than just disagree. I have a feeling it will be a mess.

Like risks and possibilities, implications are not facts. That's the problem. You can't go off of what you think is implied and what you think is at risk... if it is not, it is not. You just don't know until you ask.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you have someone whose gone to your store for years and set up new rules that he or she should be vaccinated, even though you may not lose that much money, that's a lost costumer.... not because of a factual statistic but on a "probable" risk factor. If majority of people didn't take the vaccine and you felt it was still a high risk factor, you'd lose out on money. I'm sure there are other ways to conclude whether there is actually a risk beyond you being the final decision, no?
I expect that most will get the shot.
In my business, I'd expect proof of vaccination
only for residential tenants. Self storage types
have minimal contact with us & each other.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I said I disagree with businesses forcing people to be vaccinated to shop at their stores. I never said businesses should do what I tell them to do. I'm saying I disagree if the mandate took place.

The rest are assumptions. Intelligent assumptions, yes, but no... the only time I really care is if I've been going to X store for years and all of the sudden need to get vaccinated to shop there again. I can't change the store's policy but I do have the right to disagree with it. The problem is, people would more than just disagree. I have a feeling it will be a mess.

Like risks and possibilities, implications are not facts. That's the problem. You can't go off of what you think is implied and what you think is at risk... if it is not, it is not. You just don't know until you ask.

Cool. So you agree that a private business has the right to deny entry to a non-vaccinated person even if you disagree with their basis for doing so?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
People are just like sheep... They just follow the crowd and they believe everything they are told.
Oh, and let's not forget how frightened they all are of dying.

That sounds more like a description of the typical conspiracy theorist on the Internet than a description of anyone I've seen who supports the scientific consensus about vaccination.