• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit is Costing Britain 500 Million Pounds per Week and Growing

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
All the EU needs to do is sit back and watch the Remainers do their dirty work for them.

And how exactly is our lack of blind faith in your fact-allergic side of the argument preventing the British government from doing anything other than sucking incomplete balls at these negotiations?

The public are not directly involved in the negotiation process itself so you cannot reasonably blame us.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is Brazil a lawmaker or a rule taker?

Does Brazil make its own laws or is it a vassal state?

I honestly have no idea of how to answer such questions.

You would not believe how precarious the political structure of Brazil is. We have barely noticed that we lack the ability to, as Theresa May seems to describe it, "form a government". And when we do notice, we have no idea of how to deal with that.

The average lifetime of our Constitutions is of just over 30 years, if that long.

And we usually fail to remember who we voted for our own Legislative just a month or so after voting.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Once again Brexiteers are shirking all responsibility for the mess they have got us into.
If we had voted to remain, would you have got behind the EU?

I would because I'd have no choice, when thatcher or Blair got in I so wish we could have had a re run but we had to suck it up, that's the rules.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I honestly have no idea of how to answer such questions.

You would not believe how precarious the political structure of Brazil is. We have barely noticed that we lack the ability to, as Theresa May seems to describe it, "form a government". And when we do notice, we have no idea of how to deal with that.

The average lifetime of our Constitutions is of just over 30 years, if that long.

And we usually fail to remember who we voted for our own Legislative just a month or so after voting.

Would you prefer Brazil to be ruled by a foreign entity?

With our track record, the UK should be capable of self-rule but the way our elites are acting it does make one wonder if they have lost the knack.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Would you prefer Brazil to be ruled by a foreign entity?

Yes, I would.

"Nationality" is meaningless or worse, far as I am concerned.

Given our own origin and history, I don't think it even makes sense for Brazilians to think much of our own nationality. We are, after all, the direct descendants and inheritors of the people who massacred the natives and cruelly enslaved so many Africans and their own descendants.

"Nationalism" is a dodgy idea at the best of times. For a Brazilian it is all-out illogical.

With our track record, the UK should be capable of self-rule but the way our elites are acting it does make one wonder if they have lost the knack.
Self-rule is little more than an appealling fiction.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yes, I would.

"Nationality" is meaningless or worse, far as I am concerned.

Given our own origin and history, I don't think it even makes sense for Brazilians to think much of our own nationality. We are, after all, the direct descendants and inheritors of the people who massacred the natives and cruelly enslaved so many Africans and their own descendants.

"Nationalism" is a dodgy idea at the best of times. For a Brazilian it is all-out illogical.

Self-rule is little more than an appealling fiction.

I understand your pov given the history but our history is different, not better, just different.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What entity is or would be your preference?

The way the EU is going they might already have their eye on you to replace us.

I doubt it, but that would be welcome.

But they should have learned from Greece that it is not wise to give too much rope for the unwise.

It is what the UK has vigorously defended in the past and I do not believe that it should be frittered away.
Evidently.

All the same, that impresses me none.

The Emperor of Mankind

I would because I'd have no choice, when thatcher or Blair got in I so wish we could have had a re run but we had to suck it up, that's the rules.

That's not a good comparison. By Brexiteer logic we shouldn't get another general election after the one that gave us the current Tory minority government; opposition parties would have to stop campaigning and shut up forever because 'the Tories won. Get over it.'

But really, with both Thatcher and Blair you got another chance to vote them out at the next General Election. Because democracy is a process.

The Emperor of Mankind

What about the first referendum?

We had to wait patiently for the next one.

Because Euroscepticism was never quite the driving force in politics until recently - it was kept to the party fringes until recently. Then all of a sudden it became the hot topic for some reason.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I had no idea that Brazil was in such a sorry state.
Brazil originated as an adventure of Portuguese with questionable ethics.

Now we are multiethnic, there are many more of us, and quite proud and conflicted. And what little notion we had of a social contract seems to be lost for good.

There is a lot more in our relatively short history, but those seem to be the main, decisive facts.

To this day illiteracy is very much a real concern. We have remarkable levels of violence and of firearm deaths, despite having somewhat strict gun control laws. Our social inequality is so big that we have become a callous, inconsequential people who can't decide between arrogant self-entitlement and despair.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Because Euroscepticism was never quite the driving force in politics until recently - it was kept to the party fringes until recently. Then all of a sudden it became the hot topic for some reason.

More likely, it is just the plain fact that the Right are not as militant as the Left and we accepted democracy.

The Emperor of Mankind

More likely, it is just the plain fact that the Right are not as militant as the Left

I'm sure Jo Cox MP's family would beg to differ.

and we accepted democracy.

No you didn't. You voted in the EU referendum in 2016 therefore you didn't respect the vote in 1975. (Just to clarify, I'm facetiously pointing out that you didn't abide by your own definition of democracy i.e. a one-off ballot).

Remain means remain. You lost (in 1975). Get over it. If you don't respect the will of the people you're not patriotic and you disrespect democracy.

See what I did there?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I'm sure Jo Cox MP's family would beg to differ.

Being militant does not mean that you have to go around killing people.

No you didn't. You voted in the EU referendum in 2016 therefore you didn't respect the vote in 1975. (Just to clarify, I'm facetiously pointing out that you didn't abide by your own definition of democracy i.e. a one-off ballot).

Remain means remain. You lost (in 1975). Get over it. If you don't respect the will of the people you're not patriotic and you disrespect democracy.

See what I did there?

You can have another referendum in another 40 years with my blessing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Or maybe it would be for everyone's good if the Leavers rethought the situation.

There is actual merit in repenting from an actual mistake, after all.

The Emperor of Mankind

Being militant does not mean that you have to go around killing people.

**** me, but that sure is convenient! Militant doesn't have to mean you go around killing people but that sort of behaviour does fall into the 'militant' category.

You can have another referendum in another 40 years with my blessing.

We don't need your permission.