• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit is Costing Britain 500 Million Pounds per Week and Growing

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
article said:
During the 2016 referendum campaign on EU membership, supporters of leaving the EU claimed that Britain would benefit because it would no longer be sending 350 million pounds a week to the bloc.

Article.

Comments?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
So not only did the Brexit referendum caused Britain to lose respect, they're losing money too?!
Who would've thunk it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So not only did the Brexit referendum caused Britain to lose respect, they're losing money too?!
Who would've thunk it.

Some American fat cat billionaires have recently proposed to the British Government a trade deal whereby they will help it recover from Brexit provided that -- among other things -- you British privatize the NHS. Or so I hear. By the way, the billionaires seem awfully confident that they can get the US Government to do whatever they want in terms of trade deals.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Centre for European Reform describes itself as "pro European but not uncritical." Sure, sure.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
you British
What? I'm not British! Although in hindsight my post did make it sound like I was, lol.
As for the rich Americans, that's the case with rich people all over the world. Right now, Britain is on the edge of a precipice, so to speak. Of course someone is going to attempt to take advantage of that.
Although it is worrying that they are so confident in the government making this deal. If we're talking officials in the Senate and House of Representatives, that's common across party lines. Running for (re)election costs a whole lot, after all.* This doesn't seem like something Trump would approve of, though. With his whole spiel about "unfair trade", and all that.

* John Oliver did a piece about this a while back. It's quite interesting.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Argue with the study, not the messenger, unless you have actual evidence that the messenger is corrupt.
I sympathize, but the messenger has not presented the actual study, not even a link to it. It just claims that Britain has been compared with 22 other countries. Which 22? It says Britain's economy has shrunk by 2.5%. but does not go into how it eliminated other variables besides Brexit, so it doesn't tell us what economic factors were considered. Its not that hard to list the variables and how the statistical model was constructed. This is a parroting of the study results while hiding the study details, so there's no way to argue with the study.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't take those numbers as hard because they were based on an estimate. But it's logical to assume that businesses are factoring in the impact of Brexit. And I've read about some pulling out because it passed.

And of course business hates uncertainty and there's nothing but uncertainty of hard vs soft exist right now. So having an impact due to this also makes sense.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't take those numbers as hard because they were based on an estimate. But it's logical to assume that businesses are factoring in the impact of Brexit. And I've read about some pulling out because it passed.

And of course business hates uncertainty and there's nothing but uncertainty of hard vs soft exist right now. So having an impact due to this also makes sense.
Certainly it does.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, 500 million pounds per week, in a country of around 65 million, it means that each individual is losing about 7.7 pounds per week.

I remember when I was trying to lose weight, I rode my bike to work one summer, and averaged about 4.5 pounds per week.

But they don't want to overdo it. At the rate they're going, they'll be worn down to skin and bones in about 3 months.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I seem to recall that during the time before the vote for Brexit there was a lot of uncertainty about the actual economic results of doing it. IIRC, even many nominal Brexit supporters hoped to attain some form of stronger position for negotiations and did not actually want it to happen.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

The referendum was a bunch of lies from both sides, politicians lie, that's what they do but I don't think people voted on those lies.

This was as much a protest vote, for a large percentage of brits there is no advantage to being in the EU,any advantage has been taken away by tax, for the middle class and upwards this is not a problem.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The referendum was a bunch of lies from both sides, politicians lie, that's what they do but I don't think people voted on those lies.

This was as much a protest vote, for a large percentage of brits there is no advantage to being in the EU,any advantage has been taken away by tax, for the middle class and upwards this is not a problem.
Just wait until they need an e-Visa to travel to Benidorm or their jobs vanish when major manufacturers follow the likes of Rees Mogg and relocate to the EU

RESOLUTION

Since the UK entered eURO
Just wait until they need an e-Visa to travel to Benidorm or their jobs vanish when major manufacturers follow the likes of Rees Mogg and relocate to the EU

I believe the exit of Great Britain will cause other countries to re-think their part in the union. As for Spain they were better off when they ran their own economy. Members of the EU are not on equal footing and a lot of countries are far richer than others and have had to subsidize those who are poorer. Since British holiday makers made up a lot of the tourists for Spain they would be killing it for themselves. The number of British traveling there has started to drop. Britain have lived independently for centuries. They can do it again and do not need the EU otherwise how would other countries survive who are not part of the EU. The British have found it just as cheap or expensive whichever be the case to travel to other places now. It basically is what Hitler wanted only done without war and with Germany holding the reigns. he poorest in Britain are being put into absolute poverty whilst the fat cat Europe is getting richer on their money. If more countries exit at this time then where will that leave them? The Queen of England sees no purpose or reason for the country to be in the union. It does England no good just costs money. The EU leaders are worried about other countries exiting and trying to make things difficult in the hope it deters others leaving. If the other countries were wise they would leave too.There would be no EU to leave then, it will be disbanded and everyone gets their own money and runs their own country.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Since the UK entered eURO

I believe the exit of Great Britain will cause other countries to re-think their part in the union. As for Spain they were better off when they ran their own economy. Members of the EU are not on equal footing and a lot of countries are far richer than others and have had to subsidize those who are poorer. Since British holiday makers made up a lot of the tourists for Spain they would be killing it for themselves. The number of British traveling there has started to drop. Britain have lived independently for centuries. They can do it again and do not need the EU otherwise how would other countries survive who are not part of the EU. The British have found it just as cheap or expensive whichever be the case to travel to other places now. It basically is what Hitler wanted only done without war and with Germany holding the reigns. he poorest in Britain are being put into absolute poverty whilst the fat cat Europe is getting richer on their money. If more countries exit at this time then where will that leave them? The Queen of England sees no purpose or reason for the country to be in the union. It does England no good just costs money. The EU leaders are worried about other countries exiting and trying to make things difficult in the hope it deters others leaving. If the other countries were wise they would leave too. There would be no EU to leave then, it will be disbanded and everyone gets their own money and runs their own country.
You may well be right that the EU fizzles out, I don't know

But please don't quote Brexit lies started by Michael Gove that the "Queen of England sees no purpose or reason for the country to be in the union." That was a lie at the height of the campaign that has stuck.
She never said any sort of thing.

It still appears at the moment that we will be much better off had we remained in the EU.
Even the Brexiteers have given up arguing that fact.