• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit is Costing Britain 500 Million Pounds per Week and Growing

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yesterday the Government was accused of bribery for pledging £1.6bn of its Stronger Towns funds to the most deprived parts of the UK. OK, that is a bit blatant as most of the deprived areas were the pro-Brexit areas.

There is one massive problem with this bribe ... it is a lot less than these areas would have received through EU funding which if it stayed at current levels over the same period would have been £28bn - yes almost 20 times as much.

But we do get Blue Passports instead.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Yesterday the Government was accused of bribery for pledging £1.6bn of its Stronger Towns funds to the most deprived parts of the UK. OK, that is a bit blatant as most of the deprived areas were the pro-Brexit areas.

There is one massive problem with this bribe ... it is a lot less than these areas would have received through EU funding which if it stayed at current levels over the same period would have been £28bn - yes almost 20 times as much.

But we do get Blue Passports instead.

Where does the EU get its funding from?

Is some kind of magic money tree or is it from the UK?

Altfish

Veteran Member

But, I thought we had no benefits from the EU, and we'd have the £350m/week to spend on the NHS?

So the money is from the EU, it is partly what our contributions are for...can you start to see the benefits now, even if we choose to have a purple passport

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

A couple of tips, if you will be so kind as to listen to me.

When communicating with other people, it is very important to keep an attitude of willingness to listen to what the other parties attempt to say and to understand the meaning and implications.

Almost as important is to ask questions that can be meaningfully answered without resorting to disqualifications and insults. Otherwise you end up sending a contradictory message that can't decide whether it wants to be a dialog or an aggression.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What do you expect from a Remainer?
Remainers were at least 48% of the British people back in 2016, from what I understand. They are probably far more numerous now.

I am sorry that you feel so threatened by your own people.

Notanumber

A Free Man
A couple of tips, if you will be so kind as to listen to me.

When communicating with other people, it is very important to keep an attitude of willingness to listen to what the other parties attempt to say and to understand the meaning and implications.

Almost as important is to ask questions that can be meaningfully answered without resorting to disqualifications and insults. Otherwise you end up sending a contradictory message that can't decide whether it wants to be a dialog or an aggression.

I like to listen and would be interested in what you find so offensive about what I said in my last post?

I know that the second word of the last sentence should have been ‘it’ but other than that where are the insults?

I try very hard not to resort to personal insults but can others say the same?

Do you know where the EU gets its funding from?

HonestJoe

I would support a rerun of the not yet implement referendum because Leave would win again.

However, our current MP’s would not accept another Leave win so there would be no point.
The problem is that they wouldn’t accept a Remain win either. The fact is that the country is split on the issue but most MPs are still trying to satisfy all the people all of the time. Whatever the outcome, a significant number of people are going to be unhappy (even angry), and that’s before we even consider how whatever outcome is implemented and all the side issues that are irrelevant to most of us but vital to some.

Notanumber

A Free Man
The problem is that they wouldn’t accept a Remain win either. The fact is that the country is split on the issue but most MPs are still trying to satisfy all the people all of the time. Whatever the outcome, a significant number of people are going to be unhappy (even angry), and that’s before we even consider how whatever outcome is implemented and all the side issues that are irrelevant to most of us but vital to some.

I have written to my MP asking her to use her influence with the PM to make sure that the government holds firm for a WTO Brexit.

This is the only way that UK will be able to negotiate a good deal for the country.

HonestJoe

I have written to my MP asking her to use her influence with the PM to make sure that the government holds firm for a WTO Brexit.

This is the only way that UK will be able to negotiate a good deal for the country.
You mean falling out of the EU with no deal then negotiating all the individual issues piecemeal after the fact? That doesn’t strike me as a very safe of efficient way to approach the problem and would raise some specific issues around things like the NI border.
This is really the problem I’m talking about. You might prefer the idea of trade post Brexit being on WTO rules alone and you might even be right that would be the best option for the UK but we’re never going to get agreement from the EU on that (without unacceptable compromises on other issues) and it would be unlikely to carry a majority in the UK Parliament. The minority who feel the way you do and the minority who still want to remain all need to accept that some form of compromise is the only viable option. We’re stuck at an impasse because so many people flatly refuse to accept that (whatever they might say).

It may well lead to us falling out with no deal but I don’t think that will be the win you might hope for and it could well lead to endless delay but that won’t be the win the remain supports might hope for either. The rest of us get screwed over regardless.

Notanumber

A Free Man
You mean falling out of the EU with no deal then negotiating all the individual issues piecemeal after the fact? That doesn’t strike me as a very safe of efficient way to approach the problem and would raise some specific issues around things like the NI border.
This is really the problem I’m talking about. You might prefer the idea of trade post Brexit being on WTO rules alone and you might even be right that would be the best option for the UK but we’re never going to get agreement from the EU on that (without unacceptable compromises on other issues) and it would be unlikely to carry a majority in the UK Parliament. The minority who feel the way you do and the minority who still want to remain all need to accept that some form of compromise is the only viable option. We’re stuck at an impasse because so many people flatly refuse to accept that (whatever they might say).

It may well lead to us falling out with no deal but I don’t think that will be the win you might hope for and it could well lead to endless delay but that won’t be the win the remain supports might hope for either. The rest of us get screwed over regardless.

The reason we are in this mess is that we have a Prime Minister that has tried to be all things to all people. That is if we are being generous and are ignoring the fact that she is a Remainer.

The big thing that Remoaners have failed to comprehend is that the UK burnt all its bridges when we were given that democratic vote and used it.

There is no going back and we should all pull together to regain our autonomy.

RESOLUTION

All three of those claims are overly simplistic and biased, unfortunately.

Nothing unfortunate or simplistic about any of my comments that you can actually prove.
RESOLUTION said:
Yet you claim the EU is great for Britain? The EU had to be good for all countries to be a success. If one countries fails it all fails.

There is no good reason for the EU to exist. Wars will still be fought and in many ways such a union would impact greatly on the poorer countries fighting to survive through famine and disease .

GB still provide billions of pounds to aid relief in foreign countries and support charities. When it comes to the EU it just isn't good for GB. Many are thinking of their holidays and holiday homes. But these should not be affected and expatriates should not have any say in the matters relating to GB itself. At the moment it feels like the EU is trying to hold GB to ransom. Exit should mean Britain it not beholden to the EU regarding their fishing waters, their trading and any other matter relating to the commerce side of GB. a clean break with no chains.

If something does not work for all and does not benefit all equally then they are unequally yoked and eventually something has to give. I believe exit is best for GB and I believe no strings attached is the only option.

Altfish

Veteran Member
David Lammy's reaction to Liam Fox's trade deals...

"STOP THE PRESS: After Brexit we can continue trading with Iceland (population 338,000), Liechtenstein (population 37,000) and Norway (population 5 million) - all of which are already trading partners.

This changes everything"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
David Lammy's reaction to Liam Fox's trade deals...

"STOP THE PRESS: After Brexit we can continue trading with Iceland (population 338,000), Liechtenstein (population 37,000) and Norway (population 5 million) - all of which are already trading partners.

This changes everything"
What does Liechtenstein have to trade? It's so itty bitty I've never really thought of it as having much of anything.