• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blasio Threatens to Shut Down Religious Buildings Permanently If Churches Do Not Temporarily Close

MNoBody

f-asm-46802399.png
these events are yet another glass which the cat is pushing:eek:o_O

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Churches should not be singled out in these kinds of orders and they should be written in generally applicable terms.
How are they being singled out?

The problem is that other similar gatherings are already, temporarily, suspended. No ball games, no concerts, no theatre, no movies. It's only religious folks who keep putting people at risk by making unsupported claims and putting their own preferences above the common good.

And your politicizing of this is despicable. State and local governments are working with what the White House puts out. But I never hear you mention that the Republican POTUS, Trump, said stupid things.

Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
According to the account in the Jerusalem Post, he was at pains to stress he was getting excellent cooperation and understanding from almost all religious organisations, but that if a place of worship continues to ignore the instruction, he would reluctantly have to consider further measures, such as fines or even permanently closing the building. (I presume what he means is padlocking the doors until the epidemic is over, though this is not clear.)

That seems to me eminently reasonable. What's the objection?
You raise an important point. We need to be really careful about scary, extreme headlines and stories and look at what was really said and why.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hmm. I agree with strictly enforcing the closures during the pandemic. But permanent closures? How does that solve anything? It will only p!ss people off, and people who are angry and believe that their rights have been violated will be even less likely to comply with current regulations.
They'll have a job not complying, if they've nowhere to congregate.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Where does it say that De Blasio was threatening to permantly shut down churches after the social distancing orders are over?
I read that De Blasio was allowing up to 10 people to have services, but any over that would cause police to shut down the service. If this wasn't followed by churches, he would permanently close churches.
There was no mention of beyond the temporary guidelines. I noticed this story is only being covered by RW media, that's a red flag.
Point out where he said this would be permanent, forever, finish.. What is De Blasio's response to the RW outcry?
Methinks he was referring to permanently closing churches during the social distancing period. Not even allowing the 10 maximum.
That's what makes sense.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Methinks he was referring to permanently closing churches during the social distancing period. Not even allowing the 10 maximum.
That's what makes sense.
No, that doesn't make sense.
Complete closure, not even 10 participants, is complete closure. Not permanent closure.
Permanent closure is closed for good. Not temporarily closed.

I hope the Mayor means permanent closure, because only a threat that big seems likely to protect the public health from Christian leaders.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Churches should not be singled out in these kinds of orders and they should be written in generally applicable terms.
If the operators of a different sort of venue, like a restaurant or movie theater or crack house, flaunted the law this way I'd have no problem with hitting them hard as well. Up to, and including, confiscating their real estate.
Tom

ETA ~I have the same attitude towards the kids who went to spring break parties.
If the school kicks them out, no refunds, doesn't allow them back on campus and so they flunk all their classes....
Not sorry!
They picked it.

I'm not interested in discrimination against any group, including religious folks. Just holding to the same standards.~
Tom

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It is my opinion that it is time to stop talking and start doing.

Close them down, board them up, shut off the utilities...
But be nice about it.
Give them 36 hours to get the building ready for an undetermined duration of complete shut down.

Rational Agnostic

They'll have a job not complying, if they've nowhere to congregate.

They might meet in the streets or in people's homes, and might literally fight cops who try to break them up. You're from the UK, right? Maybe you're unfamiliar with the combination of religious fanatacism and guns that we have in America. I say it's better to be pragmatic and not p!ss them off. Yes, enforce the laws now and don't allow them to congregate, but threatening to shut their doors permanently is sure to bring trouble.

Rational Agnostic

And because Blasio is no dummy, common sense dictates that the "permanently" only applies to the duration of the threat. Blasio's problem is in not qualifying his "permanently." Just as in Ezekiel 23:19 where it says
Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.”​

Think there were men whose genitals were as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions?

beetles-and-maybe-us-one-day-with-big-dicks-vgtrn-body-image-1464101341-size_1000.jpg

Gotta admire how you can make almost any topic become sexual. :tearsofjoy:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
According to the account in the Jerusalem Post, he was at pains to stress he was getting excellent cooperation and understanding from almost all religious organisations, but that if a place of worship continues to ignore the instruction, he would reluctantly have to consider further measures, such as fines or even permanently closing the building. (I presume what he means is padlocking the doors until the epidemic is over, though this is not clear.)

That seems to me eminently reasonable. What's the objection?
You underestimate the apeal of crying persecution

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes, enforce the laws now and don't allow them to congregate,

What does "enforce the laws" mean in this context?
Certain leaders are actively flaunting the laws and encouraging their followers to do the same.
Threatening their ownership of property is an attempt to enforce the laws that everyone else is abiding by.

Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Gotta admire how you can make almost any topic become sexual. :tearsofjoy:
Hey, it's the Bible that keeps bringing up sex.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
They might meet in the streets or in people's homes, and might literally fight cops who try to break them up. You're from the UK, right? Maybe you're unfamiliar with the combination of religious fanatacism and guns that we have in America. I say it's better to be pragmatic and not p!ss them off. Yes, enforce the laws now and don't allow them to congregate, but threatening to shut their doors permanently is sure to bring trouble.
Guns? Do you really think there will be gun battles with the police over this? Come off it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Guns? Do you really think there will be gun battles with the police over this? Come off it.
You're from GB.
You wouldn't get it.

Yes, there are heavily armed Christians here looking for a reason to get Armageddon underway. Believe me when I say this. It's a real threat in the USA.
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
My my my
I would recommend a more diplomatic approach

In the context of the corona virus I agree large groups should not meet. Shutting buildings down permanently is a bit of inappropriate overkill don't you think?

Generally applicable justified limitations under appropriate justification is ok

see Al Mohler on Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Without even looking up the original quotation, it sounds like he mentioned that as an absolute last straw after temporary closure and fines. I'd be amazed if that actually happened.

It's ridiculous that these tax-exempt organizations think they can completely flaunt public health directives which risk killing their own fellow congregants, not to mention the rest of the public.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You're from GB.
You wouldn't get it.

Yes, there are heavily armed Christians here looking for a reason to get Armageddon underway. Believe me when I say this. It's a real threat in the USA.
Tom
Well, you would know, I guess!

But in that case I shall look forward with great amusement to another absurd "only-in-America" shoot-out, this time between the city cops and a bunch of fundie Christians. :D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, you would know, I guess!

But in that case I shall look forward with great amusement to another absurd "only-in-America" shoot-out, this time between the city cops and a bunch of fundie Christians. :D

I'm not.
From the OKC federal bombing to Sandyhook to the Orlando club to the CW concert in Las Vegas, mass killings happen here.
A lot.

I expect Christians who feel persecuted, because they are being held to the same standards as everyone else, to start a bunch of violence here. And then there's the problem of Trump supporters feeling persecuted because leftist media quote him verbatim, instead of editing his quotes the way rightist media does.

Really, I expect a spate of violence because extremists, with guns, get agitated by the media.
Tom