• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blame It On The Police?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hold cops accountable for their non-emergency actions. If they are speeding without running lights/sirens, they should get a ticket. If they pull up to a red light, see that it is clear and then run it, they should get a ticket. If they use excessive force as defined by their departments guidelines, they should be reprimanded by suspension without pay. To many of these should result in termination. Once the public sees that cops are no better than they are, and are held to the same standards, relations will improve. Once again, honest cops don't worry about this stuff.

My dept. does a ton of community relations. We are not "militaristic" and even during the recent protests, the public was actually thanking us for doing what we do and how we do it...and this is in Birmingham, Alabama!

If I could give this post ten likes, I would. Thank-you.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Explain the shooting of Aiyana Jones to me.

That story is tragic no matter how you look at it.

The officers went to the location to arrest a murder suspect. It was a high risk, SWAT style entry.

There are two sides to the story...
1. The veteran officer swears that as he entered first with the ballistic shield and firearm drawn (high risk entry procedure) the grandmother reached for his gun, and that caused it to go off, with the bullet striking the child in the head. On a side note, we are taught in our dept. to keep your finger off the trigger until you are absolutely positive you need to fire your weapon.

2. The grandmother says she never reached for the gun. She reached for the flash bang grenade, and the officer fired from outside the residence. No evidence of this was ever proven. A&E TV show was filming from outside and did not have any footage of an outside the residence shooting.

One of the two are lying. Which one, only God knows (aside from the two involved).

Charges were dropped because of lack of evidence. Cops are also protected under the U.S. Constitution and are entitled to due process. The "Court of Public Opinion" has no bearing on a case, regardless of who is the suspect. The court had to let the officer go because there was insufficient evidence to convict him. It was his word against the grandmother's.

Pray something like that never happens again. I have two young children. Those are the worst cases...innocent, child victims.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I notice a dichotomy:
The people with no direct experience in the issue at hand, talking about ideological concepts.
The people with direct experience talking about what they perceive as reality.

How should this work out?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I notice a dichotomy:
The people with no direct experience in the issue at hand, talking about ideological concepts.
The people with direct experience talking about what they perceive as reality.

How should this work out?

I would go with those that have real world, first hand experience every time. If they have a reputation for being honest, having integrity and set an example of how to be, you can't go wrong.

The other group is based on opinion and pure speculation. They do not have the necessary experience, skills or first hand knowledge to successfully implement what does/does not work.

We do not live in a perfect world, so ideological concepts often fall to the sides because they simply are not practical on a grand scale.

The question/theme that has been asked in the OP is, "how do we help make inner city kids/teens become productive members of society as adults"?

I would start by putting the responsibility on the parent(s), and make this on a statewide level. If you receive government benefits for housing, food, etc., then it is up to you, as a parent that decided to have children in the first place (more than likely for obvious reasons), that you WILL make sure your children go to school, stay in school and maintain at a minimum a 2.0 GPA. If your child skips school or fails to meet that mediocre C average, then your benefits for that child will cease until the grades are pulled back up and/or attendance improves. This will require some tough love from state governments, but it won't take long before those parents start parenting, when they see their free ride is being choked off.

At the same time, you can't let children starve so there would need to be mandatory minimum benefits that are earmarked for grocery items only. Cigarettes, alcohol, movie rentals, etc. can't be purchased with government benefits.

You may not realize it, but in the USA (depending on state) some welfare recipients receive up to $60,000 tax free, depending on the size of their family. Of course they don't want to work and have that free ride taken away. You can blame your local Democrats for the state of entitlement programs, courtesy of you, the tax payer.

Oh, and before anyone can accuse me of being racist or picking on minorities, there are more whites on welfare in the USA than any other race. That is because whites make up 77% of the population.

The reason why minority groups seem to be the focus is because they are the ones that typically live in inner city, high crime areas that always make the news.

Tumah

Veteran Member
We do not live in a perfect world, so ideological concepts often fall to the sides because they simply are not practical on a grand scale.
This is the point I was trying to bring out. A lot of people believe themselves experts because they sit in big cozy armchairs smoke cigars and philosophize about how the world should be run. This is not realistic nor a practical way of determining anything.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
The "average citizen has no clue what police put up with on a daily bases."
The liberal media, is trained to present a picture consistant with the guidelines set forth by the owner(s) of the media.
When I was a detective I was in the spotlight of the media, newspapers, radio, local t-v, often omitting important details
that would have painted a better pricture of what actually occured.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So the penalty for stealing $10 of merchandise should be death, no wonder this country is so f'd up, police officers actually think like that.
It's that type of illogical distortion that Praetorian is rightly venting against.

Show me one officer who thinks you should be put to death over stealing $10 of merchandise? I can show you many officers who support an officer firing his weapon against a violent individual who is attacking an officer and going for his gun.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oldbadger; I'm sure if a black paraplegic in an electric wheelchair tried to run over a cop they would shoot him too....
Hi Lyndon......
I only just saw your post.....
I don't think so, Lyndon.
But if you were a cop, in a country stuffed with guns, who knew of colleagues who had been shot in the stomach as they approached a vehicle stopped for speeding (a true situation, that) then you would be ready to draw your handgun even for speedsters. In fact, the constant and never ending 'waiting' for the day, the confrontation, that would see you facing gun shot or knife thrust..... would wear you down, and wear you down., and wear you down. And one day, in a sudden rush of fear and adrenalin....... you could make a mistake. That's the real life job of policing in some places.

What do you do for a job? (I retired from training commercial detectives and sec ops 5 years ago, but have been a part-time carpet cleaner since then, until April 17th this year........... when I give it up to rebuild our little home)

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I have a very dangerous, demanding job; repairing violins, one false move and I could do hundreds or even thousands of dollars in damages, not to mention having to deal with irate customers that may not have my personal safety in mind, its a dangerous dangerous job, so I do sympathize with honest cops, as I run a very honest violin business and have to deal with very many unethical and dishonest people in my business, just like I'm sure you have to in law enforcement.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Until you walk a mile in a cop's shoes in one of the most violent cities in the USA, you really have no room to talk (not you...directed at everyone).

......... Hi again......
Just a sec there.....
Police who make mistakes are backed up all the way, to the bitter end...... legally.
But when private sector ops make mistakes they are 'open season' for the police, and I have shed frigging tears on so many occasions over the years where a frightened security operative was later judged to have overacted or used too much force. They get nil support from anybody, not even the companies who employ them.
So............ no.......... CVIT, SO, DS, SD and even TP private sector ops have less body armour, much less personal protection and less legal support than you guys.
True...dat.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have a very dangerous, demanding job; repairing violins, one false move and I could do hundreds or even thousands of dollars in damages, not to mention having to deal with irate customers that may not have my personal safety in mind, its a dangerous dangerous job, so I do sympathize with honest cops, as I run a very honest violin business and have to deal with very many unethical and dishonest people in my business, just like I'm sure you have to in law enforcement.
Repairing violins........... and there was me, thinking that such work would be a craftsman's joy.
What made you think I ever worked in Law Enforcement?
Private security Industry work is not law enforcement. No part of it.

Lyndon

Premium Member
My mistake, you said you trained cops, actually my job is very exciting and rewarding, I was just trying to be humourous, it does have an element of risk, though, especially when working on customers violins

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think cameras will go a long way not only in protecting people from the police, but protecting the police from people .....................
Oh Yes! We taught Door Supervisors and other security ops to walk into CCTV view if there was likely to be trouble. On a few occasions I ran into street CCTV view, being chased by the person I wanted to detain. Once in view of CCTV I could turn and do my job....... so long as I trusted the system's recording device!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
My mistake, you said you trained cops, actually my job is very exciting and rewarding, I was just trying to be humourous, it does have an element of risk, though, especially when working on customers violins
I never trained cops...... I trained commercial detectives, and private security industry ops. And I worked directly for solicitors 2 days a week (average) I was a defence detective quite often!
I'll bet that working on a violin masterpiece could be a bit worrying........ you must be a very special craftsman, and I expect that you have to use ancient methods, resins, polishes etc on the antiques.
You're very lucky to have such rewarding work, I think.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Its a very rewarding job, and the pay would be quite good if there was enough work and sales to keep me busy. As it is I do more time sitting around waiting for a sale or repair to walk in my shop, rather than actually working, but at least the work I do get is quite profitable, buy low, skillfully repair, sell higher, but not as high as the other guys, that's my basic strategy.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So the penalty for stealing $10 of merchandise should be death, no wonder this country is so f'd up, police officers actually think like that.

Dang Lyndon.
This might be the most concentrated politically correct stupidity you've ever put into a post.
The problem that the OP is referring to is huge. Bad parenting, chemical abuse, heavy weapon availability, the list is just endless of the problems cops are required to deal with. Then there is the media, driven by the profitability of sensationalism instead of accuracy.
The unfortunate truth is that the lethal combination of a culture of entitlement, victimhood, and violence is a disaster.
And it is worse among black USonians than any comparable demographic.

Tom

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well I think we can all understand the possible use of deadly force for apprehending a murderer, rapist or child molester, but sometimes the level of enforcement needs to fit the crime, what would it hurt if we just let some petty criminals or mentally ill homeless guys get away rather than kill them, the threat they pose to society isn't greater than the threat some bad apples in the police force pose.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Pardon me but I seem to have crashed a Tea party meeting!! Just what America needs, more right wing solutions to the crime problem......

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Pardon me but I seem to have crashed a Tea party meeting!! Just what America needs, more right wing solutions to the crime problem......

The depth of your insight and practicality of proposed solutions are an inspiration to us all.

Tom