• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Nye and Ken Ham live debate--- NOW--- 8:00Pm EDT

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Gods, what a coward... "Did you want a walkthrough of the Ark or did you just want to come right in and attack our beliefs?" How is he going to have BILL FREAKIN' NYE on your (not quite) magical god-boat and not expect a scientific rebuttal!?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think I'd rather count blades of grass in my back yard than listen to either of these nitwits.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I am greatly amused - around the 30 minute mark - at the guy (orange shirt) who thinks to try and convert Mr. Nye. It's also very telling as to how nervous Mr. Ham is that Mr. Nye will "re-teach" the youth there.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It's a typical Creationist argument. In the face of counter-evidence grow frustrated, play the victim, throw out red herrings left and right, and attempt poorly masked questions of entrapment.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm actually watching some of this out of morbid curiosity, and to try to understand Ken Ham's way of thinking. It's fascinating and telling how he says to Nye what he is saying is a "different worldview". It's not a different worldview, its a different mode of thinking, a different epistemological approach. That's not a worldview or a philosophy. I can share Nye's mode of thinking and have an entirely different worldview.

Ham is completely outclassed by Nye. He can't think in rational modes. It's mythological storyline modes. He can't translate the world using the modes of thought that Nye does. He is not capable of that type of thought. That's all this boils down to. It's not an argument of facts, but an argument of modes of thinking.

jonathan180iq

I can only image that Bill is shoring up viewership for his new show... I don't see why else he'd be doing this.

Watching Ken Hamm, I'm reminded of what happens during most religious debates, unfortunately. Instead of presenting cohesive arguments for why they believe what they believe, most religious people just get offended that they're being questioned in the first place. "Why are you attacking our beliefs?" This is even more ridiculous when you consider the fact that Ken Hamm must have agreed to this debate... What did he think was going to happen?

jonathan180iq

I'm actually watching some of this out of morbid curiosity, and to try to understand Ken Ham's way of thinking. It's fascinating and telling how he says to Nye what he is saying is a "different worldview". It's not a different worldview, its a different mode of thinking, a different epistemological approach. That's not a worldview or a philosophy. I can share Nye's mode of thinking and have an entirely different worldview.

Ham is completely outclassed by Nye. He can't think in rational modes. It's mythological storyline modes. He can't translate the world using the modes of thought that Nye does. He is not capable of that type of thought. That's all this boils down to. It's not an argument of facts, but an argument of modes of thinking.
That's it. That's what I was trying to say.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is even more ridiculous when you consider the fact that Ken Hamm must have agreed to this debate... What did he think was going to happen?
Actually, trying to put myself into Ham's world of thinking for a moment, I will bet any money that he thinks that by just bringing Nye into his Bible Boat, that just the exposure to the word of God will work its magic on him. I've known Christians that think like this, and I'll bet that's his underlying thought, that he hopes it will lead to his conversion, that "God will convict his heart with his word," and so forth.

jonathan180iq

Actually, trying to put myself into Ham's world of thinking for a moment, I will bet any money that he thinks that by just bringing Nye into his Bible Boat, that just the exposure to the word of God will work its magic on him. I've known Christians that think like this, and I'll bet that's his underlying thought, that he hopes it will lead to his conversion, that "God will convict his heart with his word," and so forth.
Bill Nye visited a Noah’s Ark he doesn’t believe should exist

I just finished reading this article, and that's exactly what happened (At least the first time around)... It's so predictable.

jonathan180iq

I suggest you guys look over this site. AIG has attempted to bolster the arguments that Ham couldn't make by attaching "research" to sections of the debate video where they apply. Not surprisingly, they've linked to Creation websites that teach complete garbage to their viewers.

Just from a personal level, as a former believer, it really bothers me how far apologetics has fallen and how underhanded the tactics to defend the faith must be.

Nye/Ham: The Second Debate Premiere

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just from a personal level, as a former believer, it really bothers me how far apologetics has fallen and how underhanded the tactics to defend the faith must be.
The end justifies the means in their minds. Nothing wrong about lying for Jesus if it get's someone saved, they think. It's not evil when a Christian lies.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
This is even more ridiculous when you consider the fact that Ken Hamm must have agreed to this debate... What did he think was going to happen?
As I understand it, Ken Ham was the person to initiate it. He publicly invited Bill Nye. So is this a publicity stunt? Probably for both, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Ken thinks he's got all the answers, and hopes to either convert Bill (he and at least one other person tried), or make a mockery of science to "all the young people" and prove their claim as true.

Bill, on the other hand, I would wager takes this as an opportunity to graciously (as much as can be) accept the invitation, and hopefully shed some light on real scientific methods and procedures, and encourage the younger generations - as he did many times - to go out and see for themselves. To decide for themselves based on evidence, not what's written in a book.