• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Nye and Ken Ham live debate--- NOW--- 8:00Pm EDT

David T

Premium Member
If you think that Bill Nye is an idiot, that actually says quite a bit about you.
And you pretending to be a musician when you listen to iTunes is amazing. Besides dude what the hell I deal with engineers daily for 40 years big deal.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
And you pretending to be a musician when you listen to iTunes is amazing. Besides dude what the hell I deal with engineers daily for 40 years big deal.
1. I don't listen to iTunes, but I'm certain that many notable musicians do. I am a musician because I play, write, record and engineer music. But, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
2. What does dealing with engineers have to do with anything?

jonathan180iq

1. I don't listen to iTunes, but I'm certain that many notable musicians do. I am a musician because I play, write, record and engineer music. But, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
2. What does dealing with engineers have to do with anything?
There are some who argue that because he's "just an engineer" that he isn't really a Scientist...

I'm not saying it's a good argument - but it's one that I've heard more than once.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
There are some who argue that because he's "just an engineer" that he isn't really a Scientist...

I'm not saying it's a good argument - but it's one that I've heard more than once.
Oh. Thanks for clarifying. Not sure what that has to do with me, but what are you going to do.

David T

Premium Member
So since this has become discussion of a sorts; what makes Bill Nye an idiot?
Arguing with ken ham. Then again it's the celebutant thing between the two of them. Btw being an idiot had zero to do with intellect. He's not stupid but the whole thing between him and ham is a joke.

David T

Premium Member
Arguing with ken ham. Then again it's the celebutant thing between the two of them. Btw being an idiot had zero to do with intellect. He's not stupid but the whole thing between him and ham is a joke.[/
So since this has become discussion of a sorts; what makes Bill Nye an idiot?[/QUOTE
I forgot who I was talking about he is a genius. Below is a link to my guitar weeps there is zero emperical evidence here of Eric Clapton the musical illiterates , guitar actually scientifically weeping!!!! In spite of the fact that Ken ham thinks it does literally. Sheesh
]

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Arguing with ken ham.
I think Bill's coming from a good angle on this, though. The first debate (though I'm not sure what prompted that one,) he was mostly addressing the audience, teaching scientific facts, and - most importantly - impressing on "taxpayers and voters", as he put it, that funding the sciences and keeping Creationism out of science classrooms is imperative to the future of our nation. It was very little bickering or arguing with Ken, or nitpicking his beliefs, etc.

With the visit to the Ark, Ken Ham publicly invited him out there. I guess to try and Round 2, as Ken was making all the same arguments. Ironically, Ken is the one to treat this all as publicity for his concrete boat. Yet during the whole "tour," Mr. Nye was using it as an opportunity to, once again, address the people there; particularly the younger people. And rather than insist that it was all ridiculous (though that was essentially said a couple times), he encouraged them to go to several places - a facility in Colorado with ice cores, the Grand Canyon, the Smithsonian and Natural History Museum in NY - and learn about what he was teaching for themselves. To not just take his word for it, but to find out that what he was saying is true based on the physical evidences that we have.

I mean, if he was just going point-for-point with Ham, like Ham tries to do, then yeah. I'd probably be more inclined to think he's an idiot. It'd be hard - I am a 90's kid - but I would certainly think it more a waste. But that he uses these Creationist stunts to encourage our youth to learn science for themselves I find to be a noble effort, even if it's hosted at a circus.

David T

Premium Member
I think Bill's coming from a good angle on this, though. The first debate (though I'm not sure what prompted that one,) he was mostly addressing the audience, teaching scientific facts, and - most importantly - impressing on "taxpayers and voters", as he put it, that funding the sciences and keeping Creationism out of science classrooms is imperative to the future of our nation. It was very little bickering or arguing with Ken, or nitpicking his beliefs, etc.

With the visit to the Ark, Ken Ham publicly invited him out there. I guess to try and Round 2, as Ken was making all the same arguments. Ironically, Ken is the one to treat this all as publicity for his concrete boat. Yet during the whole "tour," Mr. Nye was using it as an opportunity to, once again, address the people there; particularly the younger people. And rather than insist that it was all ridiculous (though that was essentially said a couple times), he encouraged them to go to several places - a facility in Colorado with ice cores, the Grand Canyon, the Smithsonian and Natural History Museum in NY - and learn about what he was teaching for themselves. To not just take his word for it, but to find out that what he was saying is true based on the physical evidences that we have.

I mean, if he was just going point-for-point with Ham, like Ham tries to do, then yeah. I'd probably be more inclined to think he's an idiot. It'd be hard - I am a 90's kid - but I would certainly think it more a waste. But that he uses these Creationist stunts to encourage our youth to learn science for themselves I find to be a noble effort, even if it's hosted at a circus.
Listen very few even in religion takes Ken ham seriously or creationism. It's like arguing with someone convinced perpetual motion machines are right around the corner and they have proof of concept the bible says so. In a sense what bill is arguing for isn't real clarity, what he is arguing for, Is properly structured reductionism as opposed to Kens poorly constructed reductionism. On that hyper narrow reality Bill Nye is absolutely right and spot on. I actually like bill he gave 5 minute talks to children in Seattle long long before national fame. Is religion screwy? Omg totally , and in reference to the bible or God, Ken ham is the last person in the world that understands It or much of anything If you bank on ken ham knowing anything at all well there you go! And he btw is my scientific proof that God exists. Because how does the man wake up in the morning and find his way to the ark or tie his shoes. Even Pat Robertson thinks he is nutty. Pat ****ing Robertson a dark bulb himself.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Listen very few even in religion takes Ken ham seriously or creationism.
I understand that, but the people at that Ark did. At least to some degree. And from the way I see it, Bill's platform on all this is taking Ken's publicity stunts and using them to bring awareness to Creationist agendas to have a place in public school science classes. He's using it to address our youth, and inspire them to truly think critically. He hardly ever addresses Ken directly, but mostly addresses the people attending.

whirlingmerc

Frankly, Bill Nye didn't do that well last time.

This time started with thunder and lightning.... ya.... makes sense to start a flood discussion that way

The ark of Noah shaped like a boat made more sense than the boat of Gilgamesh which was shaped like a cube and would roll over the ocean like a volleyball

Bill Nye started off not knowing God promised to never send a flood... odd... didn't do his homework

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The ark of Noah shaped like a boat made more sense than the boat of Gilgamesh which was shaped like a cube and would roll over the ocean like a volleyball
From what I remember, Gilgamesh's story was a raft, and it was only he and his wife.

Bill Nye started off not knowing God promised to never send a flood... odd... didn't do his homework
Personally I think he did know, but wanted to hear Ken try and explain it.

David T

Premium Member
I understand that, but the people at that Ark did. At least to some degree. And from the way I see it, Bill's platform on all this is taking Ken's publicity stunts and using them to bring awareness to Creationist agendas to have a place in public school science classes. He's using it to address our youth, and inspire them to truly think critically. He hardly ever addresses Ken directly, but mostly addresses the people attending.
Totally understand that and I don't disagree at all. What I tend to see are like minds attracted to like minds especially in such debates. These types of debates all focus on "what" people think, as soon as I start to point out the more fundamental problems lay in "HOW" people think about themselves and the world around I get a big very interestimg push back. Simply because we are rather inculturated to think in terms of "what" rather than how. At the end of the day my concern is how we understand ourselves and nature. That's a much more difficult issue than immediately presents itself. If my posting comes across as anti science it's not. I am a huge huge fan of Richard Feynman. Which Bill Nye is not remotely close to being.btw God exists.. I just Call it nature is all.

jonathan180iq

He's not.
What makes someone a Scientist, in your view?
I've thought about this quite a bit, and outside of criticizing him for not contributing to Journals, I don't really see the rub. He does't do daily research in a single field, but he's obviously very actively involved in the Scientific community. He's contributed practical scientific study to produce active scientific instruments. He holds several patents. He's well-read on many topics and speaks about them publicly with proficiency... I mean, what's the metric for differentiating between Scientist and Non-Scientist?

(He's not a "Scientist". I'll concede and agree with that. But he does more for the public face of Science that almost anyone else.)

Well, it could very well be the reason he did so poorly against Ham. I certainly expected more.
I agree that this "debate" probably should have never happened - but then again, I've been on here for years, with long stretches of daily activity, having the same conversations with Creationists over and over and over again, so...