• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigotry as practice

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Well, I can't understand this: https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12
So you will have to explain what it means.
Really? It's pretty simple. Have you tried reading it?

BTW, it seems to be aimed at a rather unsophisticated audience because some of the claims aren't strictly accurate. Advances in some fields have increased our understanding of what makes us like or dislike things or make moral judgements, etc. We also have developed processes by which we can manipulate people's subjective decisions.

If good is not objective, then it is relative and what is good for you, can be bad for me.
"Liking Marmite" is not the same as "preventing children from dying in pain". To claim the latter is as subjective as the former is either dishonest or stupid.

KWED

'The sceptre shall not pass from Judah, nor a law giver between his
feet, until Shiloh comes, and in him will be the obedience of the nation.'
The fact that you believe this verse accurately represents the history of historical and modern Israel simply proves my point!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
When it comes to the gods of religion, it is objectively clear that they do not exist.
If you are talking about a non-specific supernatural force, even then scepticism is more reasonable than neutrality on the balance of probability.

Knowledge isn't a strict trichotomy of 100% yes - 50/50 - 100% no.

Well, I am a skeptic, so I don't believe in neither the supernatural nor the natural. And you can huff and buff about what subjectively makes to you and as long as I can do subjectively different, then that is where it ends.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Really? It's pretty simple. Have you tried reading it?

BTW, it seems to be aimed at a rather unsophisticated audience because some of the claims aren't strictly accurate. Advances in some fields have increased our understanding of what makes us like or dislike things or make moral judgements, etc. We also have developed processes by which we can manipulate people's subjective decisions.

"Liking Marmite" is not the same as "preventing children from dying in pain". To claim the latter is as subjective as the former is either dishonest or stupid.

Well, for the bold one. That is not all of the world. So you have to shown that this relevance applies to all cases of morality.
And yes, both are equally subjective in how it works.

KWED

Well, for the bold one. That is not all of the world. So you have to shown that this relevance applies to all cases of morality.
And yes, both are equally subjective in how it works.
You are wrong. Our innate empathy and altruism mean that we see inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on children as wrong. It is measurable and there are scientific reasons behind it.
Whether or not we like Marmite is mostly a matter of what foods we have been raised eating. No one believes there should be laws against one or the other.

Stop trying to be edgy. It just looks silly.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Various authors of the Old Testament spoke of the end of the Jewish nation
and their return 'a second time' which we take to be today. Book after book
warned of the wrath to come for Israel - their destruction, exile, slavery and
persecution (but not extinction like the nations around them.)
When it happened it wasn't a cometary air burst or the finger of God - it was
the Romans. The main witness to this event was Josephus, a Pharisee who
felt God had abandoned his people - before it really began.

So did God destroy Israel? I believe so.
The bible isn't just inspirational verses, it makes a claim to history. We are
not going to excavate lodging of the gods on Mount Olympus, but many of
the kingdoms, cities, villages, monarchs and historic claims of the bible have
been found to be genuine.
Well, Troy turned out to be a real place, so does that give credence to the ancient Greek myths? I mean, it seems to be what you're saying when it comes to the Bible.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Spiritual susceptibility must mean what I would call disabling the critical thinking apparatus. Yes, I know. There is no way to get to the conclusion that a deity exists except by faith, and faith simply isn't a path to truth. By faith, I can declare whatever I like and call it the truth, including the exact opposite of what you believe. I'm an atheist based on reason, but I could be one based on faith as well. Unexamined thought can go wherever the imagination takes it and be believed if one has "spiritual susceptibility." Not a virtue doing that..

You know nothing about what critical thinking I have used to support my original spiritual susceptibility. You have no idea of the doubts I had when I seemed to find contradictions. I went out of my way to examine if this faith was true, if there was a contradiction, then I seemed to find a few. But after 50 years I conclude that the evidence is overwhelming. In conclusion, spiritual susceptibility and critical thinking were both used in my case. This is how it should be, in my opinion. Critical thinking and spiritual susceptibility are not in opposition.

What I know is that if you have concluded that there is a god, you didn't use critical thought to get there. There is no sound argument that ends, "therefore God." You have used the vague and nonstandard term "spiritual susceptibility" to mean a mental state that permits such ideas into the head, that can only be one thing when translated into the language I use - you're sidestepped critical thought.

We can broadly divide all symbolic thinking (using language) into that which conforms with the strict rules of reason and which reliably produces useful inductions about the world, and all other thinking, which arrives at other conclusions that cannot be validated, are possibly contradicted by evidence, and cannot be used to accurately predict outcomes, which is my standard for truth and knowledge.

I see no merit in the latter, and hope to never engage in it. Furthermore, I have never found value in the utterances of those that do. You call it spiritual susceptibility (I call it faith, or unsupported belief), but that thinking makes you susceptible to any falsehood, so let's just call it susceptibility, and it is the antithesis of critical thought, which is the proper defense against such susceptibility. It is not a virtue as those who participate in it like to imply.

You couldn't have written that? I could:

O people, for it is impossible to know the mind of God or refute his wisdom, nay, even if a thousand men were to try for a thousand years.
Do you see a deity there? If not, why do you offer the words you did as evidence of one? My response to those words was about the same as yours would be expected to be to my version - I'm expected to see that as evidence of a deity? Sorry, but that's ordinary writing. Imagine people trying to convince you that I was a messenger of God using words like those. I can write more if you like:

Speak with wisdom and choose each word with care, for each word is like an invisible spirit, its kiss persisting long after its utterance. Go out and speak words of peace that you may enlighten the world and be a beacon of God. There is no greater bliss than to wear the face of God as one serves his brother in pious observation. Like a seed in fertile soil, your faithfulness will bloom in the expanse of the soul and radiate onto the world.

Can you explain why you consider the words that you do evidence that their author was a messenger from God, but not those I wrote? I don't think you can. I'll bet if you put the words you posted and mine side by side and asked people which were written by a man pretending to speak for a God, and which are evidence for a God, it would be about 50-50, even with Baha'i.

So then crickets, huh @Truthseeker9 ? How about seeking some truth here rather than just ignoring inconvenient questions? How do you discern which comment is evidence that its author was a messenger of a deity, and which were written for an RF post? Rhetorical question. I know the answer, and judging by your unwillingness to respond, I think you do as well.

I understand that this stuff comforts you, you want to believe it, and that you likely view responses such as mine as hostile and unkind. But there's another world where people just don't think in those terms. They grapple with reason in an effort to discern what actual knowledge is. It's not personal, nor is it competitive. It's cooperative. It's dialectic, or the good faith effort to evaluate ideas according to the standards of reason applied to relevant evidence.

But the faithful tend to take it personally. They find the experience unpleasant. They are likely used to a different environment peopled with like-minded faith-based thinkers, who encourage one another to go down that path. Then they encounter a different culture with different values and methods when they enter the open marketplace of ideas such as an Internet forum, where they are told things they don't like and might not be used to hearing, and decide that atheists are mean people that like to pee on their cornflakes out of malice. No. This is a process that you are welcome to participate in and enjoy as well, but you'd need to have a certain attitude, that for lack of a better term I'll call scholastic susceptibility.

It is definitely wrong for you to offer to be the judge.

We are all judges of one another's words here. We come here to read and evaluate those words, and to laud those that resonate with us and rebut those that we judge flawed. That's what critical thought is - analysis, evaluation, judgment.

I'm not into debate myself, which is about winning.

Not to me. Unless it's in court, it's about learning. I think you have the wrong mindset of what debate is or can be. Once again, it is a cooperative effort among people with a shared set of values regarding how one determines what is true in the world. Because they have those same values and rules of valid thought, they can identify their differences and perhaps one will be convinced by the other. That's not winning and losing. That's teaching and learning.

I was involved in a "debate" over this image yesterday. My answer was 97, since 5 + (5+4+4+5+5) (4), but this was an error. The bundles are not worth 4, but 2 each.

259511433_4947924711899046_6953741752805270269_n.jpg

I made a mistake in the third line. The boy was 5, so the things preceding him in that line had to be worth 4 each to total 13. I hadn't noticed that that made these bundles worth 2 each. If I had, my answer would look like 5 + (5+2+2+5+5) (2) = 43. Notice that the kid is holding two bundles and wearing purple shoes in the last line.

My error was pointed out to me, and we all went away in agreement. Someone taught, I learned, nobody won, nobody lost. Dialectic, a cooperative effort, not a battle.

You claimed that you being an atheist is based on reason, so please explain.

Critical thinking requires that no idea be believed without sufficient evidentiary and rational support, there is insufficient reason to believe that gods exist, therefore the claim that they do is to be rejected, ergo atheism. The only alternative is faith and theism, but that requires sidestepping this process.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You are wrong. Our innate empathy and altruism mean that we see inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on children as wrong. It is measurable and there are scientific reasons behind it.
Whether or not we like Marmite is mostly a matter of what foods we have been raised eating. No one believes there should be laws against one or the other.

Stop trying to be edgy. It just looks silly.

So all cases of morality and not just taste, are exactly like your example with the children. Okay, please show that is the case.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Critical thinking requires that no idea be believed without sufficient evidentiary and rational support, there is insufficient reason to believe that gods exist, therefore the claim that they do is to be rejected, ergo atheism. The only alternative is faith and theism, but that requires sidestepping this process.

So you have solved epistemological solipsism and removed the reason why we have methodological naturalism. Please submit your work to a relevant scientific organization.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Please point to where I made that claim.

Well, we can agree on the point with children. But that is not all of the world, since all humans are not children. So you have shown one case we agree on, but you haven't shown an universal approach.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No thanks. It would take way too long. Remember this a 50 year process. I also will use my own independent judgement as all should. It is definitely wrong for you to offer to be the judge. How would like it if I offered the same?
It's totally fine for any of us to judge your claims. If theists use their experiences and judgments as a basis for what they claim on these forums, then we can assess and judge it all. I'm sure you will oppose any theist whose experiences and beliefs differ from yours, and that is the same freedom any of us have.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's totally fine for any of us to judge your claims. If theists use their experiences and judgments as a basis for what they claim on these forums, then we can assess and judge it all. I'm sure you will oppose any theist whose experiences and beliefs differ from yours, and that is the same freedom any of us have.

That has nothing to do with religion per se.

F1fan

Veteran Member
This is just your way to try to confuse me. I'm not confused. I also know you as a person who wants to win at all costs. I'm not into debate myself, which is about winning.

I'm not sure, but you seem like a irritant, so I may put you on ignore. There's also no profit for either of us to interact together, it seems to me.
I see a lot of theists adopt phrases and beliefs that they have not scrutinized themselves. These theists repeat when they've picked up in debate and it gets challenged. You should be thinking about these things yourself to live up to your handle.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I see a lot of theists adopt phrases and beliefs that they have not scrutinized themselves. These theists repeat when they've picked up in debate and it gets challenged. You should be thinking about these things yourself to live up to your handle.

That is so of all humans and is a result of nature and nurture. That is not limited to theists.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Right, in that religion does not check its own ideas (until there is strong social pressure).

But this has everything to do with religion debate.

Well, that applies to all authoritarian claims and no just religion. You will find that in philosophy and politics as well and when it comes to morality and what makes a good society a good one.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Well, that applies to all authoritarian claims and no just religion. You will find that in philosophy and politics as well and when it comes to morality and what makes a good society a good one.
Irrelevant. Again, we FOCUS on religion in religion debate.