• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bigotry as practice

Kelly of the Phoenix

Thats a traditional cop out technique of many who do practice bigotry today. If you go to that country, their war ended in 2009. For them, it is like yesterday.

This topic is not about worrying about whats happening today, but axioms. Hope you understand.
I’m not in any position to resolve their problems so what should I do? Write their dictator a strongly worded letter?

Kelly of the Phoenix

That depends on how you interpret scripture. If you interpret it literally for instance, there are flaws, or it won't accord with reality. Then there is the problem in some scriptures about whether they have been transmitted reliably over time.

You really think God is talking to you?
Yes. My maternal side of the family was very spiritual. It was a shock to learn that others didn’t hear from God (not necessarily with literal speaking verbally). At least atheists don’t hear from God and concluded God doesn’t exist, but my current fascination is with theists who claim Gid isn’t talking to them. If God puts you on ignore, why bother with Him?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
I used to be a Christian. That's what my pastor and everyone in the congregation taught and believed.

We don't "send ourselves there." That's nonsense they used to teach in the church I attended. I don't want to go. But I'll be sent there anyway, right? Not my choice.
It is your choice. It depends on the choice of your actions. But you don't believe that, anyway.
The difference between hell and prison is that when you die, at least you don't have to stay in prison forever.
That is not the Baha'i position. Many Christians are wrong about that, in my opinion. I guess that bothered you at the time.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
Yes. My maternal side of the family was very spiritual. It was a shock to learn that others didn’t hear from God (not necessarily with literal speaking verbally). At least atheists don’t hear from God and concluded God doesn’t exist, but my current fascination is with theists who claim Gid isn’t talking to them. If God puts you on ignore, why bother with Him?
No, I don't suppose God would speak with you verbally. He inspires me sometimes, but I don't interpret that as talking to me. For me, the Holy Spirit is a feeling of spiritual exaltation. I've had a few strong experiences of the Holy Spirit, and it's different every time. The Holy Spirit is present at a lesser degree when I say a prayer sometimes. Christians sometimes have told me the Holy Spirit talks to them, but my theory is that this is their imagination talking to them.

This is what Baha'u'llah says about that:

They should in no wise allow their fancy to obscure their judgment, neither should they regard their own imaginings as the voice of the Eternal.
(Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh)
www.bahai.org/r/569856918

I'm not saying this what you are doing. I have no idea what your experience is with that.

PruePhillip

The likely scenario is that Judah the kingdom wrote the story to justify their position.

Except it was written in the Bronze Age. We know because it has many accounts
of Bronze Age culture and events unknown to later generations. In any case I
don't accept the old 'the bible is guilty until proven innocent' line, YOU prove
these things were written by Judean kings, you YOU prove they were written in
the second or third century after Jesus (you know, when Israel was destroyed
and the survivors were exiled.)

firedragon

Veteran Member
Nonsense, they were an ethnic minority that fought agains oppression. Your atheophobia is showing again.

Thanks for the ad hominem. No problem.

Yes. They were an ethnic minority. But they were terrorists, and probably the most dangerous terrorist group in the world. Them being secular does not mean its a problem with secularism. It is the problem of glorifying them like you tried to do which you did by default without knowing the subject in detail, but others who focus on a religion. Which is double standards.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think you may be misrepresenting.-?-

Some Christian sects are typically favoured by those with low education.
It is probably impossible for a creationist to be
well informed and intellectually honest re matters of evolution and deep time.
This is as true for scientists as anyone else.
Nothing about Christians, as such.

You may encounter an atheist who misrepresents ALL Christians so.
They are idiots first, bigots third.

Dont forget that there are bible verses that
are cited by anti atheist bigots.

I did btw have a professed Christian say
he'd have me hanging from a lamppost, when he got Word that its time to kill all the atheists.

Yeah, and I had a non-religious person claim that all religious believers had defective parts in their brains and that the parts should be removed.