• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden's Travel Ban Goes Into Effect 29 Nov, 2021

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I view this ban as based on health concerns rather than racial discrimination.

Trump's travel ban on Muslim countries was a different story and had a clearly political and religious basis. This ban doesn't; I'd agree with a ban like this one even if Trump were the one to implement it.

Exactly.

esmith

Veteran Member
Uh excuse me, the problem is not with the proposed ban on Muslims but the travel ban on China
From the second article linked
The move is similar to the China travel ban that then-President Donald Trump instituted in early 2020. The reaction hasn’t been: “We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus,” Biden tweeted, the day after Trump announced the travel ban. “We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering.”

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The travel ban because of the new variant is not just being done here in the States but also some countries in the EU and probably will be replicated because of the potential dangers involved.

Thus, If Biden did nothing, we would then hear those with Biden Derangement Syndrome whining as many of them already are, including those who parroted their "Trump Derangement Syndrome" towards those of us who wouldn't support that traitor who tried to overthrow our election. Why would any freedom-loving person support Putin's BFF, after he tried to kill our democracy?

esmith

Veteran Member
The difference appears to be in the justifications behind it. Biden was fairly correct that travel bans targeting China would not stop it due to the spread was already occurring in Europe.

This appears to be targeting new variants, which hopefully have not spread.
Are you 100% positive that this new variant hasn't already spread. It only takes 1 person to infect the entire world.

Did you even read the second article:
The move is similar to the China travel ban that then-President Donald Trump instituted in early 2020. The reaction hasn’t been: “We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus,” Biden tweeted, the day after Trump announced the travel ban. “We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering.”

I'm from Africa myself, and I agree with travel bans that are based on sound reasoning and expert advice whether they're implemented by Trump or Biden. A travel ban to limit the spread a new variant of a pandemic virus seems quite reasonable, and I don't imagine the ban is intended to be permanent either.
All it takes is 1 person to infect the entire world.

Trump's travel ban on Muslim countries was a different story and had a clearly political and religious basis. This ban doesn't; I'd agree with a ban like this one even if Trump were the one to implement it.
Looks like you didn't read the second linked article either:

Trump's original travel ban was against ALL Muslims but then he changed it after he was told it would undoubtedly be declared unconstitutional.
Ah, and another who didn't read the second article:

The travel ban because of the new variant is not just being done here in the States but also some countries in the EU and probably will be replicated because of the potential dangers involved.

Thus, If Biden did nothing, we would then hear those with Biden Derangement Syndrome whining as many of them already are, including those who parroted their "Trump Derangement Syndrome" towards those of us who wouldn't support that traitor who tried to overthrow our election. Why would any freedom-loving person support Putin's BFF, after he tried to kill our democracy?
And again it only takes 1 person to infect the world

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait, you know Biden isn’t banning southern Africans because they’re black?

:facepalm: Oh for the love of Pete...

The desperateness of some people to make Biden somehow, some way, as much of an embarrassment as Trump is so transparent.

No, Biden is not instituting a travel ban against South Africa because they're black. It's because of COVID. In distinction to Trump, who overtly said he was trying to ban all Muslims from entering the country.

If you don't see the painfully obvious difference there, I can't help you.

esmith

Veteran Member
No. I depended on your OP to lay out the argument. You didn't reference the China travel ban.
Second article linked in OP
VICTOR JOECKS: Travel bans, filibusters only racist when Republicans use them

tytlyf

Not Religious
No one called the travel ban racist. Lie.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Looks like you didn't read the second linked article either:

It's unclear whether Biden criticized Trump for the travel ban in specific; there are conflicting articles about the issue:

CNN's Facts First searchable database - CNN

That said, I don't like Biden either. I just think this travel ban is reasonable, especially since many health experts agree that travel bans are useful in limiting the spread of new COVID variants.

anna.

but mostly it's the same

And science seems to have led the way:

[Trump's] decision was far from a solo one, nor was it made over opposition from health experts, as the White House coronavirus task force makes clear. His decision followed a consensus by his public health advisers that the restrictions should take place.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who was coordinator of the task force at the time and announced the travel restrictions, said Trump made the decision in late January after accepting the “uniform recommendation of the career public health officials here at HHS.”

While the World Health Organization did advise against the overuse of travel restrictions, Azar told reporters in February that his department’s career health officials had made a “considered recommendation, which I and the president adopted” in a bid to slow spread of the virus.

Most major airlines had already suspended flights to China prior to the announcement on Jan. 31, following the lead of several major international carriers that had stopped due to the coronavirus outbreak. Delta, American and United cited a sharp drop in demand for the flights, and an earlier State Department advisory told Americans not to travel to China because of the outbreak.

Your OP seems generated more by perpetual outrage machine than anything else.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
:facepalm: Oh for the love of Pete...

The desperateness of some people to make Biden somehow, some way, as much of an embarrassment as Trump is so transparent.

No, Biden is not instituting a travel ban against South Africa because they're black. It's because of COVID. In distinction to Trump, who overtly said he was trying to ban all Muslims from entering the country.

If you don't see the painfully obvious difference there, I can't help you.

Gotcha threads posted by Trump supporters are amusing to read, though. It's obvious that the actual facts don't really matter in threads like these, as long as the Trump supporter thinks that they have a chance to take a political potshot at President Biden.

It's not as if he is the first president who has ever lied or has done something hypocritical or controversial. But the way some Trump supporters squawk about his personal flaws or mistakes, you would think that was the case. The way I see it, the left-wing and the right-wing are part of the same bird, and they are both foul. Both are corrupt, and neither one is better than the other, IMO.

Last edited:

Ponder This

Starting Monday 29 Nov, 2021 a travel ban on people entering the US by air from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi by air. Certain groups are exempt. Other counrties have also established this policy.
Biden restricts travel from South Africa and seven other countries starting Monday - CNNPolitics

Seems I remember Biden having a hissy fit over President Trumps travel ban.
Biden said the day after Trump announced the travel ban. “We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering.”

Guess when your a politican when the other party does it's bad and when you do it, it's good.
Wonder what the lock-down political party is going to attempt to implement this winter?

I, for one, don't have a problem with Biden doing a travel ban on South Africa. It is within his powers as President to do so. Yes, I realize that it is not as effective as Trump's ban on China and I also realize that people from South Africa can and do just come across the Southern border anyways. But the travel ban will deter some people. Measures don't have to be 100% effective to be worth doing. Like building a wall on the U.S. Mexico border. Obviously, it doesn't stop every person trying to cross illegally, but it does deter illegal entry and thus make border security's job much easier.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
We now know that travel bans do not work.....
Anyone can enter this country at any time without a passport, visa, green card, or proof of vaccintaion....just walk across the border.
So your argument is that travel bans are inherently ineffective, which is why both Trump and Biden were wrong to implement them. Correct?

So, this is nothing more than fear mongering
Fear mongering against whom, exactly?