• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden's Travel Ban Goes Into Effect 29 Nov, 2021

esmith

Veteran Member
Starting Monday 29 Nov, 2021 a travel ban on people entering the US by air from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi by air. Certain groups are exempt. Other counrties have also established this policy.
Biden restricts travel from South Africa and seven other countries starting Monday - CNNPolitics

Seems I remember Biden having a hissy fit over President Trumps travel ban.
Biden said the day after Trump announced the travel ban. “We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering.”
VICTOR JOECKS: Travel bans, filibusters only racist when Republicans use them

Guess when your a politican when the other party does it's bad and when you do it, it's good.
Wonder what the lock-down political party is going to attempt to implement this winter?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Guess when your a politican when the other party does it's bad and when you do it, it's good.

Damn! You beat me to it! :D Let’s hear it for the shrieking about racism and targeting ethnic minorities.

Lain

Biden said the day after Trump announced the travel ban. “We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering.”

Probably due to the different reasoning behind the bans. Also I'm pretty sure most groups want to win and consider it good when they do and bad when they don't, this isn't new.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably due to the different reasoning behind the bans.

upload_2021-11-27_8-8-35.jpeg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Does that swimming method have symbolic value?

Yes, it means justifying one’s own position or action while having denounced the same position or action of someone else, usually someone disliked. For example, something the Bad Orange Man did is now ok done by Sleepy Joe Hidin’ Biden. Now the same action or position is justified.

Lain

Yes, it means justifying one’s own position or action while having denounced the same position or action of someone else, usually someone disliked. For example, something the Bad Orange Man did is now ok done by Sleepy Joe Hidin’ Biden. Now the same action or position is justified.

I see. I'm sure some people do that, sounds like a subset of hypocrisy to me. Thank you for explaining.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. I'm sure some people do that, sounds like a subset of hypocrisy to me. Thank you for explaining.

Yeah, I could have just said “hypocritical” but I go for the sarcasm. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Starting Monday 29 Nov, 2021 a travel ban on people entering the US by air from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi by air. Certain groups are exempt. Other counrties have also established this policy.
Biden restricts travel from South Africa and seven other countries starting Monday - CNNPolitics

Wonder what the lock-down political party is going to attempt to implement this winter?
Are you suggesting that there is some hypocrisy in leftish
racial politics? From the architect of the 94 Crime Bill?
I am shocked....shocked, I tell you.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
In what way do you believe the reasons for the Trump travel ban are similar to the reasons for the Biden travel ban?

Or do you believe that the reasoning justifying this government policy is irrelevant?

esmith

Veteran Member
In what way do you believe the reasons for the Trump travel ban are similar to the reasons for the Biden travel ban?

Or do you believe that the reasoning justifying this government policy is irrelevant?
We now know that travel bans do not work.....
Anyone can enter this country at any time without a passport, visa, green card, or proof of vaccintaion....just walk across the border.
So, this is nothing more than fear mongering

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

The difference appears to be in the justifications behind it. Biden was fairly correct that travel bans targeting China would not stop it due to the spread was already occurring in Europe.

This appears to be targeting new variants, which hopefully have not spread.

That doesn't mean there isn't political hypocrisy, however. Only, I do prefer a President that listens to experts.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I don't recall anyone having a problem with the travel ban. You're repeating a lie.
No one was against the China travel ban.

upload_2021-11-27_9-32-31.png

PolitiFact - Trump repeats flawed claim that Biden opposed Trump’s coronavirus travel restrictions on China

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
We now know that travel bans do not work.....
Anyone can enter this country at any time without a passport, visa, green card, or proof of vaccintaion....just walk across the border.
So, this is nothing more than fear mongering

Wait...you're advocating for removal all border controls? Seems extreme.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Apples and oranges. Trump banned Muslims because they were Muslim.

Wait, you know Biden isn’t banning southern Africans because they’re black? The guy who made a racial distinction saying “If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black," But at least he isn’t the Bad Orange Man, right? I’ve been waiting for all the back stroking... Trump did it and is evil incarnate, Biden did it and has good reasons. It’s called hypocrisy.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm from Africa myself, and I agree with travel bans that are based on sound reasoning and expert advice whether they're implemented by Trump or Biden. A travel ban to limit the spread a new variant of a pandemic virus seems quite reasonable, and I don't imagine the ban is intended to be permanent either.

Another thing an accusation of racism seems to overlook here is that many South Africans are white. While the majority of the countries on the list have majority-black populations, there are other ethnicities there too. I view this ban as based on health concerns rather than racial discrimination.

Trump's travel ban on Muslim countries was a different story and had a clearly political and religious basis. This ban doesn't; I'd agree with a ban like this one even if Trump were the one to implement it.