• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden's Policies Hurting Small Businesses

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But never by competitors.
Never?
I doubt that.
Walmart lacks flexibility to adapt to local markets.
That leaves some room.
Next time I see one, I'll peruse the immediate competition.
You pick up a few fast food joints and other related services. But the small retailer is left in the cold.
Not ever business would want to be next to Walmart.
But there are still compatible businesses. Note also
that Walmart isn't able to do business everywhere.
Direct competitors have many niches.
And the wonderful thing about capitalism is that
anyone who hates Walmart can just not shop there.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
And the wonderful thing about capitalism is that
anyone who hates Walmart can just not shop there.
I'm curious how you imagine a community that relies on a limited amount of supermarkets in their vicinity decides to "just not shop there".
Where do you imagine these people would get their food from? Do you know of any examples where people set up their own private food distribution network without relying on a new market chain setting up shop in their neighbourhood?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And it's even worse for Amazon, who have enough political power to effectively bully entire states to give them unwarranted tax breaks, all on the promise of "jobs" that almost never materialize in the promised amount.
I have not seen them bully. I have seen them go to the state with the best offer. Many Amazon jobs now are not high paying. But some are. Seattle has benefitted hugely from Amazon's presence. Other cities want some of that sweet Amazon money.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Though not an obvious subsidy, but Walmart has to rely on a well developed infrastructure that was paid for largely by preceding businesses.
That is true of all businesses.
Moreover, Walmart & other businesses still pay the lion's
share of property taxes that support this infrastructure.

Note: In property development, government typically
requires providing much new contiguous infrastructure.
How is this not known?
Am I the only one on RF with any such experience?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I have not seen them bully. I have seen them go to the state with the best offer. Many Amazon jobs now are not high paying. But some are. Seattle has benefitted hugely from Amazon's presence. Other cities want some of that sweet Amazon money.
They aren't going to be paying any taxes, so where are these governments going to get "sweet Amazon money" from?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
That is true of all businesses.
Moreover, Walmart & other businesses still pay the lion's
share of property taxes that support this infrastructure.
Did you literally ignore my posts in this thread or are you just pretending nobody posted examples of Walmart subsidies here?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And it's even worse for Amazon, who have enough political power to effectively bully entire states to give them unwarranted tax breaks, all on the promise of "jobs" that almost never materialize in the promised amount.

Interestingly, I was reading a local story about this same subject (Tucson restaurants get lackluster response to 'help wanted' signs | Tucson Restaurant News | tucson.com). Local restaurants are reopening, but they're having trouble finding workers.

Tucson restaurants, coming off arguably one of the most difficult years, are in full-on hiring mode, but many say they are having no luck finding workers.

“The people who come in don’t have enough experience,” which is not a big problem; she’s willing to train them, said Mazon, who would like to fill four positions at Boca, 533 N. Fourth Ave.

But some of the applicants also have limited availability, which can be a nonstarter, she said.

“They want to work two or three days, which I get, but I want people to commit,” Mazon said.

Finding workers is a problem that University of Arizona economic and business researcher George W. Hammond said is not unique to the hospitality industry, which includes restaurants, bars and hotels. But it’s likely hitting this sector the hardest as Tucson tries to recover from the economic havoc brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We don’t know for sure what’s driving it and it’s probably not just one thing. What it likely is is a variety of factors connected to the pandemic,” said Hammond, who heads the Eller College of Management’s Economic and Business Research Center.

Hammond said he suspects a good number of workers displaced after the economy shut down in March 2020 likely left the industry and found work elsewhere. Flores said he suspects many of them went to work for Amazon, which has a fulfillment center on South Kolb Road.

As restaurants were laying off workers in March 2020, when the state ordered them to close their dining rooms and convert their operations to takeout, Amazon was hiring. And they were paying $15 an hour — $3 more than the state’s minimum wage at the time.

Amazon is probably taking their workers.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Interestingly, I was reading a local story about this same subject (Tucson restaurants get lackluster response to 'help wanted' signs | Tucson Restaurant News | tucson.com). Local restaurants are reopening, but they're having trouble finding workers.

Amazon is probably taking their workers.
Now, imagine if the job market actually was a market in the same sense as markets for goods and services are.

Then increased demand would drive up prices until supply and demand are in equilibrium.

It's interesting how capitalists don't seem to understand such basic concepts as supply and demand, don't you think?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm curious how you imagine a community that relies on a limited amount of supermarkets in their vicinity decides to "just not shop there".
One chooses that which best serves.
Where do you imagine these people would get their food from?
From the sources they choose.
Do you know of any examples where people set up their own private food distribution network without relying on a new market chain setting up shop in their neighbourhood?
No.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Ah, based on the articles you linked to, it would appear that you believe that the so-called "job-creators" are what drive our economy? Interesting. Who buys their stuff?

We have to create win-wins. The job creators got nuttin' if we don't have a healthy middle class.

The other point these articles seem to miss is that Biden has said repeatedly that he knows he'll have to compromise. He doesn't expect to get everything he's asking for, but as the guy who has to name the first number, he's got to go a bit past what he expects.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Perhaps you could converse in your own words,
& not just providing a link to read & interpret.
Walmart takes subsidies in a ton of cities and states all across the US.
The link leads to a searchable database for most of these subsidies and the amount Walmart receives.

By the way, I'm curious, when you post links in a thread, do you ever expect people to read through them?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Walmart takes subsidies in a ton of cities and states all across the US. The link is a searchable database for most of these subsidies and the amount Walmart receives.
I'm just trying to encourage you to make claims in your own words.
Just posting links isn't interesting.
Of course, they're useful in reference to posts.
But they shouldn't be instead of one's own thoughts.
Of course you won't care about any of this and will just ignore what....
Rawrrrr!

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I've answered you posts.
Perhaps you just dislike the answers?
I dislike answers that directly contradict known facts, but since you've told me that you just don't ever read links that are posted, I now know that you are simply answering out of ignorance of those facts, which is fine by me, even if I do have to admit that I personally find such a colossal amount of intellectual incuriosity somewhat baffling.