• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyond the means

atanu

Premium Member
God apparently has been cruel to me. He has given me no competence for music, for painting, or for literature. And I only did mediocre work in geosciences, which gave my family potato and bread for the last 38 years.

Furthermore, God has dealt a double blow. I am a keen connoisseur of music and audio hardware — so much so that I spend beyond means.

I have about 600 GB of high resolution music files (and 1 TB movies) stored in an old MacBook Pro, which I have myself augmented with extra RAM and storage. It is now 8 years old but it is serving me well. I carry selected music from the master collection on an iPod 256 GB with a Sennheiser HD headphone. At home, I have 4 Bose systems, one Libratone Zipp, and a Phillips. All these are connected via Airplay, Apple Airport Express (for Bose Acoustic Wave II) and Apple TV4 ( for Lifestyle system). So I can enjoy high quality music from personal collection or Apple Music catalogue on any device at any time and any place. These resource may be too meagre for some or heavenly for some other. I do not have any room to expand, else ...

Well. Please do not consider this boasting. Although I am most of the time in heaven, floating in and with music, I sometimes bemoan the costly taste and the spendings beyond the means. This is a costly habit, for a middle class Indian like me. But I really do enjoy the possession. The whole thing is precious for me.

Recently, one morning I woke up at 3:30 AM, with a thought of death — never experienced before. A very uncomfortable yet enlightening feeling engulfed me “This Shall Pass”. The physical possession is of no value. But what about the music?

Let us enjoy “None Shall Sleep”.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was always a music lover. Had a good voice in my youth. Now God (or time) has made me hard of hearing (like Beethoven). So, what to do? Accept what comes one's way.

Jedster

I was always a music lover. Had a good voice in my youth. Now God (or time) has made me hard of hearing (like Beethoven). So, what to do?A ccept what comes one's way.

My deafness is increasing, as is tinnitus and I cannot always pickup all the notes when listening to music.
However , as you say, since I stopped fighting these disturbances, the tinnitus is almost becoming enjoyable at certain times.
Yes accepting what come one's way can be quite groovy.:)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Deafness would perhaps be worse if one was an audiophile (my dad was deaf) but on the other hand one need not buy so much expensive equipment as one ages - the higher frequencies not being even heard, so perhaps a blessing. But tinnitus is a problem for me too. Still, just think of all those who waste money on the best equipment and yet listen to the most mundane and boring music when so much better music is available.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I do like music, but these days I prefer listening to natural sounds, like waves breaking on the shore. Usually combined with noisy seagulls. :)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
However , as you say, since I stopped fighting these disturbances, the tinnitus is almost becoming enjoyable at certain times. Yes accepting what come one's way can be quite groovy.:)
Hey Jed, I make my own music with tinnitus. My wife does not like my humming, and our maid says I am the 'humming papa'. :D
When I am aware of it, I try to stop doing that. Rather, give rest to my mind.

Jedster

Hey Jed, I make my own music with tinnitus. My wife does not like my humming, and our maid says I am the 'humming papa'. :D
When I am aware of it, I try to stop doing that. Rather, give rest to my mind.

You are one cool dude Aup :cool::D

ETA I could put here quotes from Kabir about the inner cosmic sounds, but then everyone will get jealous:eek:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
My deafness is increasing, as is tinnitus and I cannot always pickup all the notes when listening to music.
However , as you say, since I stopped fighting these disturbances, the tinnitus is almost becoming enjoyable at certain times.
Yes accepting what come one's way can be quite groovy.:)

My tinnitus is symphonic at times too. Especially during coronal mass ejections.
The visual snow is often entertaining, and I have an interesting collection of entoptica going on.
I haven’t learned to enjoy the floaters in my eyes though.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
God apparently has been cruel to me. He has given me no competence for music, for painting, or for literature. And I only did mediocre work in geosciences, which gave my family potato and bread for the last 38 years.

Furthermore, God has dealt a double blow. I am a keen connoisseur of music and audio hardware — so much so that I spend beyond means.

I have about 600 GB of high resolution music files (and 1 TB movies) stored in an old MacBook Pro, which I have myself augmented with extra RAM and storage. It is now 8 years old but it is serving me well. I carry selected music from the master collection on an iPod 256 GB with a Sennheiser HD headphone. At home, I have 4 Bose systems, one Libratone Zipp, and a Phillips. All these are connected via Airplay, Apple Airport Express (for Bose Acoustic Wave II) and Apple TV4 ( for Lifestyle system). So I can enjoy high quality music from personal collection or Apple Music catalogue on any device at any time and any place. These resource may be too meagre for some or heavenly for some other. I do not have any room to expand, else ...

Well. Please do not consider this boasting. Although I am most of the time in heaven, floating in and with music, I sometimes bemoan the costly taste and the spendings beyond the means. This is a costly habit, for a middle class Indian like me. But I really do enjoy the possession. The whole thing is precious for me.

Recently, one morning I woke up at 3:30 AM, with a thought of death — never experienced before. A very uncomfortable yet enlightening feeling engulfed me “This Shall Pass”. The physical possession is of no value. But what about the music?

Let us enjoy “None Shall Sleep”.

Class A SET ?

I also practice nada yoga :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
ETA I could put here quotes from Kabir about the inner cosmic sounds, but then everyone will get jealous. :eek:

The skinless drums produce the Music (of Bliss). The clouds rumble without the rainy season. And lo, without the clouds, it rains, if one reflects on the quintessence. (Sorath, Namdev)
Now I’ve closed all the nine Doors, and (at the Tenth) now rings the Unstruck Melody. (Sorath, Kabir)
Sri Guru Granth Sahebji Shloka M-3
Or construct a neurophone or similar. Resonance via the skull.
Too late. I can enjoy the music in my mind. I just ask my wife as to what song is being played on the TV.