• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyond the means

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Hello Sir

Did you mead asset or something else? I am not sharp.

Class A SET valve amps sound so much better than anything else I’ve heard.
They don’t have to cost a fortune either.
I bought an APPJ amp from China for $300 and it is a wonderful thing.
Minimalist, one 12AX7 preamp tube, two EL84 power tubes, volume control, and small (around 15cm cube).
Only 3W per channel, but that is quite sufficient in my one bedroom apartment. Through Infinity bookshelf speakers from 1990.

On paper, there are plenty of solid state amps that appear to be more hifi, but there is something spacious and very comfortable about the Class A valve sound. It’s a psychoacoustic thing.

People have become accustomed to the sound of Class D digital amps, because most manufacturers use them now. They are certainly very good value for money. But in an AB comparison test with an 80s Yamaha toneless amp, they sound dead.

On the other hand, I have had decades of musical enjoyment from very ordinary sound systems. I’m not an audiophile snob.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I envy the creativity, the power to transform and express emotion through art.

You may enjoy this. Steve Vai is a magician and a gentleman, and at the apex of guitar technique.

Please promise me you’ll listen to at least the first five minutes !

I think you’ll be onboard by then.

Play it loud. :alien:

atanu

Premium Member
You may enjoy this. Steve Vai is a magician and a gentleman, and at the apex of guitar technique.

Please promise me you’ll listen to at least the first five minutes !

I think you’ll be onboard by then.

Play it loud. :alien:

Thank you. This response is delayed because it took a bit of time to conform to your instruction "Play it loud".

I already had a high-resolution file of "For the love of God". While I admired the virtuosity of guitar playing, honestly I could not fully relish it as enjoyable music. Anyway, that is my problem. Once you suggested this video I knew that I needed to give Vai a few more 'hearing'. :D

The video is engrossing and the guitaring alone has psychedelic quality as if. But again, I probably will require more time to be able to bite into this.

Thank you.

atanu

Premium Member
@Howard Is
@sayak83

While western-style music is common and more easily appreciated, I wish to share something based on Hindustani raaga.

Hindustani classical music, in North India, has been nurtured both by Hindus and Muslims. Below, I link a light song sung in raaga 'Ahir Bhairava'. It is morning raaga (sunrise time) and goes by the name of 'Bhairava', a name of Lord Shiva. The song was written by a Muslim poet of Bengal, Kazi Nazrul Islam.

Radha, beloved of Shri Krishna (the teacher in Gita) sings this song in presence of Shiva and requests the blindingly effulgent Shiva to manifest as the dark cloud covered Shri Krishna -- since the blinding effulgence of Shiva is beyond bearing.

I also include an approximate translation. The song is sung in raaga Ahir Bhairava by Asha Bhosle, a popular singer of India. You may or may not like the classical raaga based rendering. I include it here as a sample of Indian raaga.

Arunokanti kego jogi bhikhari based on Raag Ahir Bhairav ..

Who this yogi-beggar
Effulgent as the sun?
Smiling quietly standing at my door
I can scarcely bear the brightness of your presence?

I am the cowgirl ecstatic for union with Shyam
The dark figure of a young lover is all I know
This unbearable light on the firmament
This unbearable light on the firmament
Oh Girijapati have mercy on me
Where is Giridhari?

Be kind and restrain this vision of grandeur
Be kind and restrain this vision of grandeur

Oh Lord of Braja, my beauteous Lord Shiva
I am only a girl from Braja
Please come in the guise of a
Lover
Come
Without this tiger pelt
Come
With garlands of flower

Cover your self with dark clouds
Come as my lover, oh the lord of the three worlds

I am not Parvati
I am Shrimati
Please throw away your drum of destruction
Your bugle of ending the creation
Pick up the flute of sweet love
Who are you this yogi-beggar
Effulgent as the sun?

Last edited:

ClimbingTheLadder

Up and Down again
My tinnitus is symphonic at times too. Especially during coronal mass ejections.
The visual snow is often entertaining, and I have an interesting collection of entoptica going on.
I haven’t learned to enjoy the floaters in my eyes though.

I have a little bit but that's probably because I used to perform loud music lol