• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Way to Cook Steak

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone have any tips on cooking a steak as simply as possible?

I prefer not to use seed oils, prefer older methods using fat.

Thanks

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My favorite way is the Grill. You can season, with seasons you like for a good steak salt and pepper work fine, but I use barbeque sauce, store bought steak seasonings, Worchester sauce with garlic, salt and pepper. The big thing with seasoning a steak is to let it set seasoned for at least an hour in the refrigerator before cooking.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How well done?

A typical 3/4 inch thick steak...

Salt the steak both sides and leave for an hour
You can use garlic salt or skip this bit.

Fry in a little hot oil/fat/butter just about to start smoking

Blue for 1 minute a side

Rare for 1.5 to 2 minutes per side (thats how i cook it)

Medium for 2.5 to 4 minutes per side

Well done for 3.5 to 6 minutes a side

Burnt just add time as required

Black pepper as required

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Usually a rump steak, medium thickness.
Not my favourite, but,

If your steak is about 1 inch thick, first season it generously (more than you think you need) with course-grained kosher salt (not table salt) at least 30 minutes, and preferably an hour or 2 before cooking. Pre-seasoning like this helps the salt get drawn into the heart of the steak, rather than just on the surface. Salt the edges, too.

I like to use ghee (clarified butter - you can buy it in a jar at the grocer's) as my fat, since it won't burn like butter will. Fry the steak in a hot pan for 4 minutes on each side, turning only once, for a medium rare steak. (I prefer to use a meat thermometer and cook it to 125 degrees). Let it rest covered with foil for about 5-10 minutes before serving -- the internal temperature will continue to rise to about 130.) Try serving the steak already sliced in half-inch strips cut across the grain (rump is lean, and a more used muscle, so it can be tougher. Cutting across the grain really helps it to be less tough or chewie.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not my favourite, but,

If your steak is about 1 inch thick, first season it generously (more than you think you need) with course-grained kosher salt (not table salt) at least 30 minutes, and preferably an hour or 2 before cooking. Pre-seasoning like this helps the salt get drawn into the heart of the steak, rather than just on the surface. Salt the edges, too.

I like to use ghee (clarified butter - you can buy it in a jar at the grocer's) as my fat, since it won't burn like butter will. Fry the steak in a hot pan for 4 minutes on each side, turning only once, for a medium rare steak. (I prefer to use a meat thermometer and cook it to 125 degrees). Let it rest covered with foil for about 5-10 minutes before serving -- the internal temperature will continue to rise to about 130.) Try serving the steak already sliced in half-inch strips cut across the grain (rump is lean, and a more used muscle, so it can be tougher. Cutting across the grain really helps it to be less tough or chewie.)

One cannot compete with a gourmet chef.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Thanks
Best is with a griddle pan and NO fat or oil at all. Just get it very hot over a big gas hob and sear it. Makes a lot of smoke, if there is fat in the meat, so you need your extractor on full blast. 1 min, turn 90 deg another minute turn over ditto. Once you start to see blood/juice emerging through the cooked side on top, it's time to take it off and put in a warm oven (50C) to rest for 10mins. If you don't have a griddle pan, a very hot heavy frying pan with only a tiny amount of oil to stop it sticking. Again it will smoke.

Personally I find grills are never hot enough. I think contact with a very hot surface is the way to go.

Season with salt and crushed peppercorns (mortar and pestle or else put some in a dishcloth and smash with rolling pin).

I should think the BBC Good Food website may have some ideas.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks

Glaze an iron pan with ghee and let that heat up. Place the steak on top of it, completely free of any salt, pepper, or other seasoning.

When you've finished preparing the steak to your liking, you can sprinkle salt, pepper, etc., as you prefer.

That's the simplest way I've used to simply enjoy the pure taste of the meat without any distracting flavors.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Buy yourself a charcoal grill, get yourself some back straps (tenderloin) and wrap them in bacon. Cook until they are done, whatever bar you set for that. I prefer mine very rare, so I don't cook mine long. Alternatively I'd go for a T-bone steak as it has two different cuts of meat and I do love variety. Season to taste

I know you have inclimate weather over in your neck of the woods, but where I am the weather is about the same. Makes the steak taste all the better once your done, Imo

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Best is with a griddle pan and NO fat or oil at all. Just get it very hot over a big gas hob and sear it. Makes a lot of smoke, if there is fat in the meat, so you need your extractor on full blast. 1 min, turn 90 deg another minute turn over ditto. Once you start to see blood/juice emerging through the cooked side on top, it's time to take it off and put in a warm oven (50C) to rest for 10mins. If you don't have a griddle pan, a very hot heavy frying pan with only a tiny amount of oil to stop it sticking. Again it will smoke.

Personally I find grills are never hot enough. I think contact with a very hot surface is the way to go.

Season with salt and crushed peppercorns (mortar and pestle or else put some in a dishcloth and smash with rolling pin).

I should think the BBC Good Food website may have some ideas.
When I cooked it today I just cooked it in its own fat, no oil etc. I had to do it in a large heavy frying pan, which seemed to work, but using electric is really hard. I much prefer fire or gas. Had fire growing up and gas at @Vouthon's old flat. Having to work with what I have at uni is a pain and I don't want to buy too much stuff since I have to cart it all with me when I go. Also other students in this flat who seem to think because I turn the light off in the kitchen when I'm waiting for stuff to cook that I'm not doing anything in there and turn the cooker off.