• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore bridge collapse - mass casualties

Viker

Häxan
Biden already said the federal government will pay for it all.

“I have directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” Biden told reporters in the White House‘s Roosevelt Room Tuesday. “It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge. And I expect Congress to support my effort.”

I think you are right.
It is one of the most important ports and highways in the area. It would be in everyone's best interest to do so.

Clizby Wampuscat

It is one of the most important ports and highways in the area. It would be in everyone's best interest to do so.
I am not saying we should not pay for it right now to get the channel open. But will we go after the shipping company for money if it was their fault?

Viker

Häxan
I am not saying we should not pay for it right now to get the channel open. But will we go after the shipping company for money if it was their fault?
If they are responsible then yes. That would probably take either court or Senate hearings. In the meantime, the harbor needs to get back up and running. Later, the company could be fined and pay back costs and restitution.

esmith

Veteran Member

If they are responsible then yes. That would probably take either court or Senate hearings. In the meantime, the harbor needs to get back up and running. Later, the company could be fined and pay back costs and restitution.
Interesting read

We Never Know

No Slack
A container ship collided with the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore this morning. Vehicles trapped on bridge can be seen falling into river, if you're squeamish don't watch any footage please. Officials have declared a mass casualty event and rescues are under way. We'll know more later on today. Since this is a religious forum, if you believe in prayer, this would be a good time for that. If for nothing else to extend deep sympathy for victims and their families.

Its a sad deal.

Today I heard the first conspiracy about it. Heard a couple guys discussing about it being a Singapore ship and wondering if it was purposely done. Blame it on China like everything else.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Sad for those who lost loves ones. A big challenge for affected communities and industries.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Or, the company which built the faulty engine, should be charged. You’d figure there would be redundant systems to keep absolute power failure from happening.

It is a tragedy.

PureX

Veteran Member
Two tugs pulled the ship away from it's birth just prior. Perhaps in the future they could keep the tugs nearby these ships until they are out of the harbor. Had they been nearby, on standby, they could have controlled the ship when it's own controls failed. Hiring tugs isn't cheap but they probably would be the least costly solution.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or, the company which built the faulty engine, should be charged.
How do you know the engine was faulty?
What do you think was wrong with it?
You’d figure there would be redundant systems to keep absolute power failure from happening.

It is a tragedy.
What's your experience in naval architecture
& propulsion engineering & operation?

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Biden already said the federal government will pay for it all.

“I have directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible,” Biden told reporters in the White House‘s Roosevelt Room Tuesday. “It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge. And I expect Congress to support my effort.”

I think you are right.
Believed you until I saw the source.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Could be an “act of God” malfunction that is covered by insurance.

Of course there will be pushback on why there wasn’t better protection for the piers given the many ships that pass by it.