1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Authority of the apostles

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by actsfourthirty, Jun 12, 2021.

1. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    Christian
    How did you become a Christian?

2. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +17,149
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Meaning...?

3. metis

Ratings:
    +17,149
    Religion:
    It's a loooooooooooong story, but I'll give you a brief synopsis.

After leaving my fundamentalist church, I became quite agnostic for almost a decade, but I did go to mass occasionally with my wife as she was and is a devout Catholic. Then I began to have a strong feeling to return back to Christianity, such as one might call "born again, so I converted to Catholicism after researching how the early Church saw itself.

However, about 20 years later I saw a "discrepancy" over the issue of "Messiah" between the OT and NT, and this led to me to convert to Judaism whereas I was quite active for two decades. I had become victim to literalism, which I had never believed in before, thus this is why I had left the Church [another long story].

But then starting about 7 years ago, I began to have "premonitions", which I had never had believed in, but I had a hard time trying to figure out what these were "telling" me. After almost two years of this driving me crazy, I got a repeatedly strong impulse to go back to St. Thomas More Student Parish [see my signature at the bottom of my posts] whereas I had gone to 50+ years ago when dating another Catholic woman which, btw, is over a two-hour drive away. So, I went, and it was during the Lord's Prayer whereas I realized that I was being "called back" to the Church. However, I don't like making snap decisions, thus I "sat" on this for a few months trying to check and see whether this was the right move.

After this, I rather secretly talked with the priest at the church my wife and I attend, told him what I was going through including the fact that I always tend to question things, and he welcomed me back. However, I didn't tell my wife at first.

About three weeks later, my wife was going up to receive the eucharist and I was behind her, and she shook her head as to say that I can't do this, but I just smiled. It took her a minute or so, but then she finally smiled as she realized what I had done [I had done it once before when I converted the first time].

That's the story in brief.

How about you?

4. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    Christian
    With respect , and may be you a communication thing , but as far as I can tell you did not become a Christian? You haven't given the criteria as I would see the bible says .

5. metis

Ratings:
    +17,149
    Religion:
    Matt.7[1]"Judge not, that you be not judged.
    [2] For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.
    [3] Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
    [4] Or how can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?
    [5] You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye..."

The above is one reason why I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in that also included the anti-Catholic bigotry that they spewed out. OTOH, our church teaches that this is not our role and that we should leave this all to God.

BTW, the other two reasons I left was because of the anti-science position of my church as well as the problem with overt racism. Fortunately, my old church is no longer that way.

6. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    Christian
    You never mentioned how you became a Christian according to the bible.
    1¶Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you believed in vain.

3¶For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

7. metis

Ratings:
    +17,149
    Religion:
    You have got to be kidding-- except I'm afraid you're not. Did I have to spell everything out for you? An honest person asks, but you can't even do that. So utterly pathetic.

It is the above kind of judgmentalist bigotry that reminds me why I left my fundamentalist Protestant church to eventually join a church that doesn't stoop to the above low. And it's things like the above that all too often gives Christianity such a hypocritical appearance, such as that which Gandhi noted when he noted these fundamentalists all too often "...forget his [Jesus'] message]". Not only do you do yourself harm by acting this way, you also help make Christianity look like an exercise in bigotry because you're "saved" as you strut around like a peacock.

I've had more than enough, but thanks anyhow for reminding me why I left the kind of myopic bigotry that I personally experienced decades ago.

8. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have no problem answering the same question. In fact the bible commands us to .
    1 Peter 3:15
    King James Version

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: