• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia must be really rich

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Once the gulags start then I’d see reason to. Right now though even in my own supposedly authoritarian country no one is being locked up or denied rights. People are just facing normal social consequences for putting public health at risk.
Video: Australia forcing people into quarantine camps despite negative COVID tests, reports say

Also in the news: Covid-19 Australia: Northern Territory IGA bans unvaccinated Aussies from shopping for groceries | Daily Mail Online

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Fears are not a good enough excuse, imo
Was not from fear

Restrictions upon services that are not automatically guaranteed to people (like necessities) is not a good enough reason.
I agree

It needs to fit the gravitas of such an invocation, right?
Right

Right now though even in my own supposedly authoritarian country no one is being locked up or denied rights.
Good to hear. I hope it stays that way

stvdv

Thanks for sharing, though it's not uplifting

I am not surprised. Germany tried something similar I saw on the news a year ago. And remember, we are just at the start of this, what I call totally unjustified "dictatorship like treatment of people". Camps like this, smells to me like a prelude to something we had here 80 years ago.

IMO, better not silently wait till it grows beyond our control.

And such actions feel quite a bit China or North Korea like treatment to me. I need not much imagination to get a doom scenario when reading this

Let's hope it's fake news or conspiracy, right?

But I trust you (@Saint Frankenstein) too much to believe this is conspiracy. So this article does make me sad, definitely not smiling

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing, though it's not uplifting

I am not surprised. Germany tried something similar I saw on the news a year ago. And remember, we are just at the start of this, what I call totally unjustified "dictatorship like treatment of people". Camps like this, smells to me like a prelude to something we had here 80 years ago.

IMO, better not silently wait till it grows beyond our control.

And such actions feel quite a bit China or North Korea like treatment to me. I need not much imagination to get a doom scenario when reading this

Let's hope it's fake news or conspiracy, right?

But I trust you (@Saint Frankenstein) too much to believe this is conspiracy. So this article does make me sad, definitely not smiling
No, unfortunately, it's not fake news. The forced quarantine camps in Oz are called "Centres for National Resilience" (how Orwellian):
NT police arrest three people who escaped from Howard Springs Covid quarantine facility

You can test neg, not have any symptoms at all (i.e. be a perfectly healthy person), and they'll still arrest you and lock you up.

stvdv

To invoke Hitler is seen as an automatic fallacy because from the get go it’s rather hyperbolic. I mean it’s like citing Satan to Christians really. So you need a damned good excuse to begin with. Fears are not a good enough excuse, imo
Restrictions upon services that are not automatically guaranteed to people (like necessities) is not a good enough reason. It needs to fit the gravitas of such an invocation, right?
Once the gulags start then I’d see reason to. Right now though even in my own supposedly authoritarian country no one is being locked up or denied rights. People are just facing normal social consequences for putting public health at risk. And yeah prolonging a known pandemic won’t get you popular among folks who are trying to do the right thing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But that’s just reality. You want to make the choice not to vax? Perfectly valid. That’s your choice. But you have to face the consequences. That’s just the reality of living in a society. No man is an island and all that
This is in "discussion forum"

Why you debate me all the time?

I respectfully gave my opinion AND clearly phrased it as "my opinion", just sharing how I feel, and you just keep attacking my opinion in a "discussion forum", why? If it were "debate forum" I can expect this, but I don't expect it here

I don't attack your opinion. I am totally fine that you disagree with me. I won't try to change your mind. Esp. nit, because mine is just my opinion, meaning I am not sure it's true. Even if I'm 100% sure, I feel no urge to convjnce others. Time will reveal soon enough

stvdv

No, unfortunately, it's not fake news. The forced quarantine camps in Oz are called "Centres for National Resilience" (how Orwellian):
NT police arrest three people who escaped from Howard Springs Covid quarantine facility

You can test neg, not have any symptoms at all (i.e. be a perfectly healthy person), and they'll still arrest you and lock you up.
Thanks for sharing. I rarely search for such news, as it makes me really not happy. But when given, I'm glad and grateful, because I think it's needed to know the truth, and it's good to stay upto date

And, wow, that's a really bad sign, IMO, the facts that you shared

My grandfather fought in WW2. And afterwards he went to schools to warn the children to be ever vigilant, because he was convinced that fascism is a very real danger nowadays. And I fully agree with him

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. I rarely search for such news, as it makes me really not happy. But when given, I'm glad and grateful, because I think it's needed to know the truth, and it's good to stay upto date

And, wow, that's a really bad sign, IMO, the facts that you shared

My grandfather fought in WW2. And afterwards he went to schools to warn the children to be ever vigilant, because he was convinced that fascism is a very real danger nowadays. And I fully agree with him
The state of the world is extremely depressing, for various reasons. I'm a news junkie, myself, and always keeping up to date with news around the world. I wanted to be a professional journalist, actually. Honestly, that would probably end with me getting killed because I would **** off people/groups who could pull it off and make it look like an "accident", as has happened to many people to dug too deep. Oh, well. But I still have to know, otherwise I'm living a lie. I prefer to stare into the abyss and know what I am facing, even if it hurts. Otherwise the world will never change for the better. Knowledge is power. We all need to stop sheltering ourselves.

I mean, I was even called a "conspiracy theorist" by just mentioning the mRNA tech the Pfizer and Moderna shots are based on, to a coworker who is considering getting her first shot soon. That's how willfully ignorant many people are, and that's heart-breaking.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither is true as far as I can see. Both sites are known to be right leaning and biased. They’ve been claiming we are a police state for longer than I’ve been alive, so forgive my skepticism please
Current restrictions, rules and exposure sites

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Neither is true as far as I can see. Both sites are known to be right leaning and biased. They’ve been claiming we are a police state for longer than I’ve been alive, so forgive my skepticism please
Current restrictions, rules and exposure sites
Contract awarded to deliver purpose-built quarantine facility in WA | Finance Minister

Who cares about political bias at this point? I also posted a Guardian article, and they are hardly "right-wing". Having a bias doesn't mean they aren't reporting facts. Most major news outlets have a bias one way or another. The video speaks for itself, too. Was that all made up, too?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Contract awarded to deliver purpose-built quarantine facility in WA | Finance Minister

Who cares about political bias at this point? I also posted a Guardian article, and they are hardly "right-wing". Having a bias doesn't mean they aren't reporting facts. Most major news outlets have a bias one way or another. The video speaks for itself, too. Was that all made up, too?
I agree with you. Trust me. But every time something like this happens in my country, other outlets from overseas pounce on it. And then later on it turns out that there were mitigating circumstances and other factors that renders said stories moot. Regardless of politics. So again, forgive my skepticism until I know all the facts
I think this is the story but forgive me if I’m mistaken.
There are a lot of stories about such things at the moment, so I ask for some leeway

Arrest – COVID border-related charges – Darwin | NT Police, Fire & Emergency Services
Woman charged for allegedly biting security guard, breaching COVID orders | NT Independent

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I agree with you. Trust me. But every time something like this happens in my country, other outlets from overseas pounce on it. And then later on it turns out that there were mitigating circumstances and other factors that renders said stories moot. Regardless of politics. So again, forgive my skepticism until I know all the facts
I think this is the story but forgive me if I’m mistaken.
There are a lot of stories about such things at the moment, so I ask for some leeway

Arrest – COVID border-related charges – Darwin | NT Police, Fire & Emergency Services
Woman charged for allegedly biting security guard, breaching COVID orders | NT Independent
No, those aren't the same arrests I'm referring to:NT police arrest three people who escaped from Howard Springs Covid quarantine facility

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Ahh I see.
See what I mean about lots of stories. Hard to keep track at the moment, I swear.
But that looks like it falls in line with already agreed upon Australian laws, as far as I’m aware. We tend to be a bit more strict than the US. It’ll probably end in a fine and that’ll be that.
Could be wrong though. Sorry not seeing the reason to be alarmed. The perp allegedly broke quarantine and he just has to face the music. So what? Consequences for actions.
If he’s detained then I agree it’s awful
By the way, we’re currently being lead by our version of conservatives (the Liberal Party, no seriously.) So blame them, right?

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Ahh I see.
See what I mean about lots of stories. Hard to keep track at the moment, I swear.
But that looks like it falls in line with already agreed upon Australian laws, as far as I’m aware. We tend to be a bit more strict than the US. It’ll probably end in a fine and that’ll be that.
Could be wrong though. Sorry not seeing the reason to be alarmed. The perp allegedly broke quarantine and he just has to face the music. So what? Consequences for actions.
If he’s detained then I agree it’s awful
By the way, we’re currently being lead by our version of conservatives. So blame them, right?
Why should a person who tests negative face arrest and involtuntary detention? Makes zero sense.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Why should a person who tests negative face arrest and involtuntary detention? Makes zero sense.
I agree with you, if I’m honest. Usually there’s mitigating factors. This person probably was antagonistic towards police. Does that deserve detention? In my view no. But like I said we are a bit more strict than the US sometimes. Although the stories I’ve read about Guantanamo…. That’s another topic though

My personal view of the matter is this man should be given a fine for a misdemeanour offence at most and set free. If he wants to sue, then cool. He can sue.

There’s been some flip flopping in regards to our health and safety measures. (Mostly due to the reduced workforce in the various warehouses.)
So in all honesty I personally think my government has bungled the response. Do not take my skepticism as a measure to defend them by any means. It’s just that I’m tired of hearing false allegations about my country. So I tend to be defensive as a matter of course

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I agree with you, if I’m honest. Usually there’s mitigating factors. This person probably was antagonistic towards police. Does that deserve detention? In my view no. But like I said we are a bit more strict than the US sometimes. Although the stories I’ve read about Guantanamo…. That’s another topic though

My personal view of the matter is this man should be given a fine for a misdemeanour offence at most and set free. If he wants to sue, then cool. He can sue.

There’s been some flip flopping in regards to our health and safety measures. (Mostly due to the reduced workforce in the various warehouses.)
So in all honesty I personally think my government has bungled the response. Do not take my skepticism as a measure to defend them by any means. It’s just that I’m tired of hearing false allegations about my country. So I tend to be defensive as a matter of course
To be fair, those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay aren't US citizens and so technically aren't entitled to Constitutional protections. Regardless, the treatment of people there caused quite the scandal on the basis of human rights and even Obama promised to shut it down with much fanfare, although he ended up lying about that just as he lied with most of his promises. :rolleyes:

I'm used to knowing horrible things about my county. I accept that the US federal government is mostly a force for evil in the world and has been for decades. They literally have the blood of millions of people around the globe on their hands, all financed by our taxpayer dollars. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. But I still hope for better and that the ideals this dump was founded upon will have a revival/come to fruition. We can't bury our heads in the sand out of vain pride.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
To be fair, those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay aren't US citizens and so technically aren't entitled to Constitutional protections. Regardless, the treatment of people there caused quite the scandal on the basis of human rights and even Obama promised to shut it down with much fanfare, although he ended up lying about that just as he lied with most of his promises. :rolleyes:

I'm used to knowing horrible things about my county. I accept that the US federal government is mostly a force for evil in the world and has been for decades. They literally have the blood of millions of people around the globe on their hands, all financed by our taxpayer dollars. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. But I still hope for better and that the ideals this dump was founded upon will have a revival/come to fruition. We can't bury our heads in the sand out of vain pride.
I keep hearing of Obama’s failures. Can I ask about that?
Because I’m only familiar with the cursory glances by our news

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You're ignoring my post about police reform,
which was something you broached, & I very
specifically addressed.
If you really want to converse, then be more
conversational....I've no use for unproductive
bickering.
Indeed.
But this thread was about Oz cops who were called to a restaurant because a woman was refusing to wear a mask. People who think that removing that woman outside without hassle cannot be aware of all the risks and dangers that such a situation could present.

So asking a police force to sort something out nicely is rather like an engineer expecting a team of mechanics to make a racing car that would go nice and quickly........... a bit more detail would be required.

I know that you have agreed with me about better selection, training, field training, revision-training, management, supervision and counselling for cops. Now it's just a question of discovering what all that would include and mean.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I keep hearing of Obama’s failures. Can I ask about that?
Because I’m only familiar with the cursory glances by our news
Obama campaigned in 2008 as if he was the new JFK (even his campaign materials were ripping off JFK), with much charisma and faux-populist rhetoric. He promised to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, give us universal healthcare, promote transparency in his administration, protect the middle class and working class from banksters, close Gitmo, etc.

Not one of those things happened! Instead, him and Hillary Clinton gleefully destroyed Libya (committing multiple war crimes along the way), became the Drone Killing King, the wealth gap increased, expanded Gitmo, gave us Obamacare which was a repurposed Republican plan that favored insurance companies above all and even race relations worsened under him (when they were actually stabilizing under the Bush, Jr regime, ironically). BLM actually started under Obama and the National Guard was still sicced on them under his presidency, so it's weird how many black people still love him when he didn't do a thing for the black community. He just sold people a bunch of lies to get into office, and then acted like a good puppet of the corporate-military-industrial complex once he managed to lie his way into the White House. I voted for his lying *** twice, to my regret.

I even was at a rally of his at the Statehouse here during his 2008 campaign. I remember he came out to Angels & Airwaves "The Adventure" song, which is a very hopeful and idealistic rock song. Funnily, me and this black girl both remarked that we were stuck behind the portable toilets during it. Should've taken that as a sign. :rolleyes:

Obama is just an example of great PR, but no substance to it. He now is happy hobnobbing with celebs and living it up with the ultra-rich, like a good narcissist.

stvdv

The state of the world is extremely depressing, for various reasons.
IMHO,

This is very true. I feel it myself, and I know in Holland many people feel depressed.

And our Dutch ministers even, on purpose, stimulate depression by the way they bring covid news, and that alone is enough for me to NOT believe (or rather trust) them (and this is even demonic).

I actually do believe many things they tell us, because they arrogantly (as narcs do) tell us exactly what they do, and how it all works. They gave us their complete blueprint (plan), and still people think "this can't be true what our Minister tells us".

I learned that if a narcissist tells you something which feels bad, it might be true and you better be very careful, because they act evil and enjoy it, and are even proud doing it. That makes it easy at least.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Obama campaigned in 2008 as if he was the new JFK (even his campaign materials were ripping off JFK), with much charisma and faux-populist rhetoric. He promised to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, give us universal healthcare, promote transparency in his administration, protect the middle class and working class from banksters, close Gitmo, etc.

Not one of those things happened! Instead, him and Hillary Clinton gleefully destroyed Libya (committing multiple war crimes along the way), became the Drone Killing King, the wealth gap increased, expanded Gitmo, gave us Obamacare which was a repurposed Republican plan that favored insurance companies above all and even race relations worsened under him (when they were actually stabilizing under the Bush, Jr regime, ironically). BLM actually started under Obama and the National Guard was still sicced on them under his presidency, so it's weird how many black people still love him when he didn't do a thing for the black community. He just sold people a bunch of lies to get into office, and then acted like a good puppet of the corporate-military-industrial complex once he managed to lie his way into the White House. I voted for his lying *** twice, to my regret.

I even was at a rally of his at the Statehouse here during his 2008 campaign. I remember he came out to Angels & Airwaves "The Adventure" song, which is a very hopeful and idealistic rock song. Funnily, me and this black girl both remarked that we were stuck behind the portable toilets during it. Should've taken that as a sign. :rolleyes:

Obama is just an example of great PR, but no substance to it. He now is happy hobnobbing with celebs and living it up with the ultra-rich, like a good narcissist.
Fascinating. So he didn’t make good on any of his promises.
I mean this out of genuine curiosity, do you think his proposals were blocked by his opponents? Because I feel like that’s a thing I hear from US politics all the time. One party pushes for something, the other one blocks it. Ad nauseam. Kind of like ours, really.
But like I said, not being American I don’t know the nuances of that. Did he try in your eyes or was it nothing but broken promises? Did he propose any meaningful change? At all?

Like I said our news covered him but from a distance since we’re not American. Quite favourably I will say.
Actually truth be told people were taking bets on when he’d be assassinated. Because he was black. That’s bad I know. But that was a stereotype we had of you guys. Sorry

Can I ask, did that experience lead you to become a Conservative? You don’t have to answer that, if you don’t want to. I’m just being nosy

Sorry,
I’m being obnoxious. I just have very skewed interactions with US conservatives elsewhere. That’s all.
Social media, amirite? :rolleyes:

Last edited: