• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussies to vote soon on whether to make gay marriage legal

Nous

Premium Member
I guess I see no reason to think that anyone acts to help their fellow man simply because of their religious beliefs.
That's sad, leibowde. Americans who fought against slavery often did so due to their religious beliefs, by recognizing the immorality of slavery.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That's sad, leibowde. Americans who fought against slavery often did so due to their religious beliefs, by recognizing the immorality of slavery.
I'm saying that, while they might have claimed that, it was probably not entirely caused by their religious beliefs alone.

Nous

Premium Member
I'm saying that, while they might have claimed that, it was probably not entirely caused by their religious beliefs alone.
Maybe your views are evolving. That doesn't really sound the same as: "Because voting based on your religious beliefs is the same as attempting to force others to live according to those beliefs. I don't think religious beliefs should have any impact on politics/policy whatsoever."

To see how people's religion motivated the abolitionist movement, see: Christian Abolitionism - Wikipedia

Milton Platt

Being a Christian I feel very conflicted over this one. I will come back later and add some comments.

You cannot legislate sexual orientation. That is beyond ridiculous. Why would you want to impose discriminatory practices against people just becsuse you don't like who they love? No amount of legislation will prevent homosexuality.

You could of course stone them to death like the Bible requires, I suppose......

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Maybe your views are evolving. That doesn't really sound the same as: "Because voting based on your religious beliefs is the same as attempting to force others to live according to those beliefs. I don't think religious beliefs should have any impact on politics/policy whatsoever."

To see how people's religion motivated the abolitionist movement, see: Christian Abolitionism - Wikipedia
Again, I don't think caring for our fellow man is a religious belief or a consequence of religious beliefs. Many people think that it is (and, I understand that is the reasoning that many in the abolitionist movement gave), but I think there is something deeper, formed out of our societal evolution, that causes most of us to see suffering in our communities and throughout the world and want to stop it. That was my original point. We should strive to see that as our guiding principal rather than rely on religious beliefs that can be so divisive.

In other words, don't base your vote on any supernatural beliefs. Base it on community, compassion, generosity, science, etc. ... all of which, I contend, do not come from religion.

Milton Platt

Slavery, and the abolitionist movement were both justified by religion to some degree.... the same religion. Different groups of people cherry picking things from scripture to suit their needs. Thanks for the link, by the way...

Nous

Premium Member
Again, I don't think caring for our fellow man is a religious belief or a consequence of religious beliefs. Many people think that it is (and, I understand that is the reasoning that many in the abolitionist movement gave), but I think there is something deeper, formed out of our societal evolution, that causes most of us to see suffering in our communities and throughout the world and want to stop it. That was my original point. We should strive to see that as our guiding principal rather than rely on religious beliefs that can be so divisive.

In other words, don't base your vote on any supernatural beliefs. Base it on community, compassion, generosity, science, etc. ... all of which, I contend, do not come from religion.
It's just haughty and strange to claim that European and American Christian abolitionists didn't understand the source of their views that slavery is immoral.

Hostility toward religion doesn't allow one to rewrite history or deny people's stated motivations.

Nous

Premium Member
Slavery, and the abolitionist movement were both justified by religion to some degree.... the same religion.
True. But at the time of the Civil War, there seem to have been more who opposed slavery on moral grounds than those who tried to justify slavery on scriptural grounds.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Those verses were written to slaves, not masters.

But it condones slavery.

1370.gif