• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aussies to vote soon on whether to make gay marriage legal

Milton Platt

It surprises me that this has been such a big issue there. Maybe it's the "macho" thing showing up. I spent about 6 weeks in Sydney and a week in Melbourne some years ago. The country seemed rather liberal minded about hetero sex, at least.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It surprises me that this has been such a big issue there. Maybe it's the "macho" thing showing up. I spent about 6 weeks in Sydney and a week in Melbourne some years ago. The country seemed rather liberal minded about hetero sex, at least.
I think many Aussies have been surprised at the response tbh. I know I have done some double takes when counting the no votes among my friends and family (which is admittedly not very many, but still.) Even my otherwise chill docile manager brought out vile homophobia (privately) when the postal survey was in full swing and every worker under him was quite shocked. So it could very well be a "macho" thing. I'd be surprised if Sydney had a lot of No voting traction, though. Considering it's where we have our yearly Mardi Gras.