• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Atheists: Validity Issues

Tiberius

ikitikitembo said:
A.) Strong atheism is invalid, because when taken up as a position, presumes that the individual knows all laws of every kind, including those which are possible to reside outside of our own natural experience. It is based on the assumption that there are absolutely no other possibilities for higher understanding, which is false. It self-destructs. It does not exist.

The assumption that we must know everything in the universe to prove that God does not exist is wrong. We don't need to know everything. We just need to know enough to contradict the idea of God.

it works with other things as well.

I can say that there are no even prime numbers greater than 2. Does that mean that I have checked every single even number to see if it's prime? No, of course not, it's impossible. But we do now the properties of a prime number, and we can figure out that every even number greater than 2 has a separate property that is in direct contradiction with the properties of a prime number. However, according to your logic, we can't say that there are no even primes greater than two without checking every single even number. Obviously an impossible task.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
ikitikitembo said:
Many of you are aware of the categorization of atheism. For those of you who aren't, allow me to enlighten you. The atheistic worldview is broken down into two major subdivisions: Weak Atheism & Strong Atheism. Weak atheists are those who lack faith in God. Strong atheists are those who claim there is no God. Better put, a weak atheist would respond to the question: Do you believe in the existence of God(s)? with: "I have no faith at the moment in any particular God(s)." On the other hand, a strong atheist would respond to that same question with: "No, because I know there is no God(s)." One holds less assertion in the denial of the existence of a God, and is altogether unsure about the whole thing, thus still retaining the possibility for one (hence "weak"). The other is steadfast or "strong" about their position, and claims to know for a fact that there is no God.
I like how the weak atheists in your scenario profess a belief in god. That's neat.

:D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Everything I have to say on this subject has been said except one thing:

It really really annoys me that theists are taking it upon themselves to sit back and pidgeon-hole athiesm and atheists by analyzing it like it's some animal experiment.
If you've never been an atheist, and don't understand the perspective we are coming from, what exactly gives you the ability to define atheism? Because you've hung out here and seen some of the things we have to say?
Should I then claim that even though I am an atheist since I have spent considerable time among Christians, I should be able to officially determine who is and who is not one?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
PolyHedral said:
I'm sorry, that post went through 4 times. Could a mod please delete the extras?

Just as an FYI, if you go into the edit feature on your post you can delete it.

pandamonk

I'm sure this has probably been said before, and if so I appologise. I'm just too lazy to read through 13 pages and over 100 posts. If the strong atheist needs to know everything to claim that they simply know that God does not exist, then surely this must also apply to theists(strong theists?)who claim that they know that God does exist. The only suitable conclusion, if this is true, is agnostisism, or weak atheism/theism. If this happened, then no religion(especially christianity)should have any power whatsoever.

logician

"Strong atheism my friends, is quite simply, nonsense. Non-sense. No...sense. It's unsensible to the possibilities of what you don't know. It's inconsiderate to lack of intellectual capabilities of the human race. It's baseless, illogical thinking. It's invalid, unfounded, and ungrounded. It's an embarrassment to those who take the time, and reason through to their lack of faith in God. It's humiliating to the progression of the human understanding of truth & science: man's number one accomplishment ("truth" and "science" practically being synonymous, as science is simply a subdivision of truth). It's degrading to the self, and the mark of an ignorant, irrational mind. Following this through, I now have only one thing to say about strong atheism: It does not, and should not, exist. (CONTINUES TO NEXT POST)
"

IS this guy for real? The multiverse can easily get along w/o a god, it's just as easy to say that matter and energy have always existed as to say some supernatural entity has always existed. Also, no clear definition of exactly what a "god" is or means here is given.

Cuthberta

I seem to have been locked out of religious forums for considerable bit of time, I haven't had time to examine everything on this thread but my initial impression is that atheists are being dissected into several categories. Have those who don't give a damn if there is a supernatural being or not but folks ought behave decently anyway been classified yet?

JerryL

I'm sure this has probably been said before, and if so I appologise. I'm just too lazy to read through 13 pages and over 100 posts. If the strong atheist needs to know everything to claim that they simply know that God does not exist, then surely this must also apply to theists(strong theists?)who claim that they know that God does exist. The only suitable conclusion, if this is true, is agnostisism, or weak atheism/theism. If this happened, then no religion(especially christianity)should have any power whatsoever.
Is there a real easter bunny?

There isn't?

Do you know everything to establish that there is not an easter bunny?

Saying "there is no God" as a general term is like saying "there is no Easter Bunny". It's possible that there are, though it's entirely unevidenced. No athiest I know meets either catigorization. They don't believe in a God the same way you don't believe in an Easter Bunny or pink Unicorn.

Of course, it's possible to concretely rule out a particular idea of God by establishing it as self-contrary or incompatable with known fact.

pandamonk

JerryL said:

There isn't?

Do you know everything to establish that there is not an easter bunny?

Saying "there is no God" as a general term is like saying "there is no Easter Bunny". It's possible that there are, though it's entirely unevidenced. No athiest I know meets either catigorization. They don't believe in a God the same way you don't believe in an Easter Bunny or pink Unicorn.

Of course, it's possible to concretely rule out a particular idea of God by establishing it as self-contrary or incompatable with known fact.
What are you saing?

croak

Trickster
Maybe a person in a suit. Rabbits and hares do not celebrate Easter, carry eggs in baskets, or hop without the aid of their fore-legs. Knowledge of rabbit and hare behaviour proves that the Easter Bunny has not, and will not, ever exist.

gnostic

The Lost One
There's no such thing as the "Easter Bunny"?

Arrgghh!!!! :eek:

:thud:

News Flash

Gnostic is now suffering from chocolate-egg-withdrawal-syndrome. He's currently being hospitalised.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Paw said:
Maybe a person in a suit. Rabbits and hares do not celebrate Easter, carry eggs in baskets, or hop without the aid of their fore-legs. Knowledge of rabbit and hare behaviour proves that the Easter Bunny has not, and will not, ever exist.
Um, hares don't hop, they run. Like buggery. Up and down the hallway. They also stand up on their hind legs and drum themselves silly on available surfaces, eat marmalade on toast and jump around on the spot for no apparent reason. They've also been documented to scale wire fences and bugger off down the local prison garden for a cabbage.
I never actually saw either of the hares I have had the pleasure of belonging to carry a basket of eggs about the place, however that isn't to say it didn't happen just because I didn't see it.

Tiberius

Logician said:
Can anyone here even give a good definition of what a "god" is?

God (God) (n):
  1. Entity of supreme power that has several abilities that contradict other abilities, thus is a fictional or fantasy being
  2. General exclamation (example usage, "Oh my god!")
  3. Acronym standing for Guaranteed Overnight Delivery

rocketman

Out there...
Tiberius said:
God (God) (n):
  1. Entity of supreme power that has several abilities that contradict other abilities, thus is a fictional or fantasy being
  2. General exclamation (example usage, "Oh my god!")
  3. Acronym standing for Guaranteed Overnight Delivery

Your post made me giggle, but just out of curiosity, which abilities are contradictory?