• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Atheists: Validity Issues

Hacker

Tiberius said:
Finally, I don't see how you can claim there is no evidence for God, and then turn around and cite the "intelligence and design" of the universe as though that was evidence for God.
I'm not saying it's NOT fact but in itself it isn't a fact , again, it's a theory. So there is NO WAY you can prove God doesn't exist just as well as I can prove that he DOES exist because I can't, but the only explanation for GOd is the mystery of existance and creation that nobody can define or explain without theory. I.e. humans can't even answer the most complex questions and there is always a cause and effect for everything that we can see from what we DO know. Now another example of disproving it as a fact, just like the law of physics "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed" yah it's a theory but can be proven since matter was never created out of a clear blue sky out of nowhere right in front of your face. Yah, a human can create furniture out of wood, but the elements that the matter is composed of can't even be created from man, or out of nothing, so if we came to this universe without any kind of assistance from a higher being then how do you explain cause and effect? And you can say how was God created but the beauty of that is, one would say that he is all knowing and that's where everything originates, or how evertything was created.

The intelligence and design of the universe is only a marginal assumption that compels my belief in God.

PureMuslim

There is Proof All Around that there is a god

Ok Ok, Here I am not saying "Allah" in specific but I am saying there must be a god.
Look around you, look at the sign of god all around you--- you don’t even have to look far look in the mirror.

If you get 12 people and have them roll two dies and they all roll 2 on the first try then that could be a coincidence, if you randomly pick 20 people and all of their favorite colors is blue then that could be a coincidence. However I am going to tell what is not a coincidence; the design of the mountains, the ozone layer, the chemicals, the human body (i.e. Liver, kidneys, Brain, Heart, Muscles, Stomach, Cells, Gallbladder, Trachea and etc.) , the positioning of the earth, the positioning of the sun, oxygen, the circle of life and many many more things. For an example let's take the Brain. The brain is a really complex part of our body. Think about it: Can the humans who technically don’t even understand or even control there essential part of there bodies not have a god?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
PureMuslim said:
Think about it: Can the humans who technically don’t even understand or even control there essential part of there bodies not have a god?
Yes, there may not be a god. Science has gone a long way to show how complex phenomena have come about from simple phenomena through unplanned natural processes.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Hacker

PureMuslim said:
There is Proof All Around that there is a god

Ok Ok, Here I am not saying "Allah" in specific but I am saying there must be a god.
Look around you, look at the sign of god all around you--- you don’t even have to look far look in the mirror.

If you get 12 people and have them roll two dies and they all roll 2 on the first try then that could be a coincidence, if you randomly pick 20 people and all of their favorite colors is blue then that could be a coincidence. However I am going to tell what is not a coincidence; the design of the mountains, the ozone layer, the chemicals, the human body (i.e. Liver, kidneys, Brain, Heart, Muscles, Stomach, Cells, Gallbladder, Trachea and etc.) , the positioning of the earth, the positioning of the sun, oxygen, the circle of life and many many more things. For an example let's take the Brain. The brain is a really complex part of our body. Think about it: Can the humans who technically don’t even understand or even control there essential part of there bodies not have a god?
:clap Yes, you elaborated on exactly what I felt was common sense but obviously not to some, thanks.

Hacker

Plus, it would be scary to know that we are the most inelligent beings, firstly because life would be useless and so will our bodies at the time of death, and because the mystery of the many things would always be unknown unless this mystery of existance will reveal faith in the ones who believe(like me and many others)in an intelligent being like Allah, God, whatever you want to call this powerful force. I have to admit, it would be pretty scary.:eek:

PureMuslim

tlcmel said:
Plus, it would be scary to know that we are the most inelligent beings, firstly because life would be useless and so will our bodies at the time of death, and because the mystery of the many things would always be unknown unless this mystery of existance will reveal faith in the ones who believe(like me and many others)in an intelligent being like Allah, God, whatever you want to call this powerful force. I have to admit, it would be pretty scary.:eek:
Lol roger that!!!!! It just does'nt make sence that humans are the most intellegent beings existing! Plus if it was true than why not commit horrible crimes when no one is looking?:fork:

Ody

PureMuslim said:
Plus if it was true than why not commit horrible crimes when no one is looking?:fork:

Tell me.

Do you believe non-theists have morals?

Tiberius

tlcmel said:
First off, a theory is defined as "a belief or principle that yields action or assists comprehension or judgment."
Evolution is a theory.

You want to apply the same logic to the theory of gravity then? You want to say there's no hard evidence for gravity?

Secondly
1. evolution had never been observed, what hasn't been observed is one animal abruptly changing into a radically diferent animal,

Firstly, such a point demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about evolution. Animals to not "abruptly change into a radically diferent animal". Evolution will never provide it, and evolution doesn't say it will happen. Changes are gradual over a period of time.

Tigers will never give birth to a housecat. Don't say that this fact is evidence against evolution because it isn't. You're trying to set up a strawman; you say evolution should provide something and then claim that evolution is wrong because it hasn't happened. The problem is that your original claim is flawed.

2.Evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics beyond doubt.

That applies to CLOSED SYSTEMS ONLY. The earth is not a closed system as it is receiving a steady stream of energy coming in from the sun. Evolution does not violate the 2nd law.

3. There are no transitional fossils that life originated and evolution proceeds by random chance. Out of the millions of fossils in the world, not ONE transitional form has been found. All known species show up ABRUPTLY in the fossil record WITHOUT intermediate forms, thus contributing to the fact of special creation.

There are plenty of transitional forms, which you would know if you had bothered to do some of your own research instead of just reading fundamentalist creationist literature. Have a look here for a bit about the evolution of the horse.

Evolution is unfortnately a mere possiblity, but not a mere fact. There's more arguments that I can present to disprove it being a fact, but like I said, it's possible but VERY unlikely and in my opinion, it will never be proven as a fact.

Evolution predicts certain things. We can go out and see if those things are actually there. If those things are there, then it is evidence to support evolution.

Think of it like this: I say I own a Porsche. If this is true, there will be certain things that will support my claim. There will be a car loan. There will be the paperwork. And there will be a Porsche parked in my garage. If you see that Porsche in my garage, would you not accept it as evidence that I do indeed own a Porsche?

Likewise, evolution says we will find things out in the real world. it tells us we will find transitional forms, and when we have a look, we do indeed find transitional forms, such as the development of horses that I linked to above.

So, if evolution is so unlikely, why do we find what it predicts we will find?

Finally, I don't see how you can claim there is no evidence for God, and then turn around and cite the "intelligence and design" of the universe as though that was evidence for God.

My reference to intelligent design was merely a comment on how some people use the "evidence" of intelligent design to say, "And that intelligence is God."

I don't believe in God and I don't believe in Intelligent design.

So there is NO WAY you can prove God doesn't exist just as well as I can prove that he DOES exist because I can't, but the only explanation for GOd is the mystery of existance and creation that nobody can define or explain without theory. I.e. humans can't even answer the most complex questions and there is always a cause and effect for everything that we can see from what we DO know.

My goodness, you realise that's one whole sentence?

I can prove anything doesn't exist if that thing contradicts something we know for a fact.

Also, what do you have against theories? You seem to be saying that if something needs a theory to explain it then it's evidence for God. "We can't explain gravity without a theory, so it must be evidence for God!"

Now another example of disproving it as a fact, just like the law of physics "Matter cannot be created nor destroyed" yah it's a theory but can be proven since matter was never created out of a clear blue sky out of nowhere right in front of your face.

Oh, and I forgot that the only things that can ever happen in the universe are the things that can happen right in front of you.

Yah, a human can create furniture out of wood, but the elements that the matter is composed of can't even be created from man, or out of nothing, so if we came to this universe without any kind of assistance from a higher being then how do you explain cause and effect?

Quantum mechanics tells us that on a subatomic level things can happen without cause. The Big Bang - the singularity that created the universe - was a subatomic event, and thus it could have happened without a cause. A good place to start is the documentary series The Elegant Universe.

And you can say how was God created but the beauty of that is, one would say that he is all knowing and that's where everything originates, or how evertything was created.

So, if I ask, "How was God created," you'd answer, "God's all knowing."

How does that answer the question of the origins of God? it doesn't.

PureMuslim said:
I am going to tell what is not a coincidence; the design of the mountains, the ozone layer, the chemicals, the human body (i.e. Liver, kidneys, Brain, Heart, Muscles, Stomach, Cells, Gallbladder, Trachea and etc.) , the positioning of the earth, the positioning of the sun, oxygen, the circle of life and many many more things. For an example let's take the Brain. The brain is a really complex part of our body. Think about it: Can the humans who technically don’t even understand or even control there essential part of there bodies not have a god?

Yes, you elaborated on exactly what I felt was common sense but obviously not to some, thanks.

First of all, you are starting with the assumption that it is not a coincidence. If you do not start with that assumption, you will not reach the same conclusion.

Secondly, there is a theory which tells us that every single possible universe exists. If this is the case, then there was bound to be a universe where all those things happened. Thus, it is no longer a coincidence that it happened, because it was guaranteed to happen.

Yes, you elaborated on exactly what I felt was common sense but obviously not to some, thanks.

it appears to be common sense, but common sense can be misleading. Common sense also tells us that a bottle filled with water will fall faster that an empty bottle. But they both fall at the sme rate.

BTW, the universe does not operate so as to avoid us being scared.

Hacker

Your arguments AGAIN are only supporting a scientific theory, not FACTS. I don't think you read the definition of a theory very clearly.:cool: You keep on ranting and raving for nothing cause you can't prove it, BUT you do make some good points but not enough to support a FACT and that's all I was debating about. I was debating that the scientific theory of evolution is not a fact, that's all.:)

Tiberius

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought finding the transitional forms of horses in the fossil record WAS A FACT.

there is a huge amount of evidence to support evolution. So much so that evolution is almost certainly true. If evolution is wrong, why does it explain what we see so well? if it is wrong, why did it predict what we would find so accurately?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
PureMuslim said:
Plus if it was true than why not commit horrible crimes when no one is looking?:fork:

There is no greater punishment of evil than that it is dissatisfied with itself and its deeds.
-- Seneca, Stoic philosopher

tlcmel said:
Your arguments AGAIN are only supporting a scientific theory, not FACTS. I don't think you read the definition of a theory very clearly.:cool: You keep on ranting and raving for nothing cause you can't prove it, BUT you do make some good points but not enough to support a FACT and that's all I was debating about. I was debating that the scientific theory of evolution is not a fact, that's all.:)

EVOLUTION IS A FACT. ...read the article

Hacker

Tiberius said:

Again, where do you get a FACT out of a THEORY???:confused: LOL It's called the "Scientific Theory of Evolution."
Yes it seems logical but I think there was a powerful force behind this theory, God, Allah, Jesus, whatever.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
The existence of evolution being a real process is a fact. Humans being the result of that process is a theory.

Hacker

Mister_T said:
The existence of evolution being a real process is a fact. Humans being the result of that process is a theory.
Yes the theory is HOW the evolvment process took place, true! I sort of believe it anyhow, but I just don't think it's a valid explanation for the denial of a powerful force because there is not an explanation for a lot of things. But WHERE is GOd and how can we prove his existance besides the mysteries of the world is beyond me, or anyone for that matter.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
tlcmel said:
Yes the theory is HOW the evolvment process took place, true! I sort of believe it anyhow, but I just don't think it's a valid explanation for the denial of a powerful force because there is not an explanation for a lot of things.
I agree.
tlcmel said:
But WHERE is GOd and how can we prove his existance besides the mysteries of the world is beyond me, or anyone for that matter.
This brings up a question I've been wondering about latley: How exactley would one go about proving something such as the concept of God?

Mister_T said:
This brings up a question I've been wondering about latley: How exactley would one go about proving something such as the concept of God?

Experiencing him. That's the only way. Spiritual experience or divine intervention. There is no other way.

...and even that way you still wouldn't know 100% that your experience isn't merely the result of natural forces, or something that the brain can do.

...but if I had an experience that told me there was a God...I would believe. However I would not know. No one will ever know.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
ikitikitembo said:
Experiencing him. That's the only way. Spiritual experience or divine intervention. There is no other way.

...and even that way you still wouldn't know 100% that your experience isn't merely the result of natural forces, or something that the brain can do.

...but if I had an experience that told me there was a God...I would believe. However I would not know. No one will ever know.
I agree with that as well. Let me rephrase my question: How would atheist scientist go about proving something like that? What tools? What process would they use to prove such a being existed?

Mister_T said:
I agree with that as well. Let me rephrase my question: How would atheist scientist go about proving something like that? What tools? What process would they use to prove such a being existed?

You can't use tools or natural procedures to prove such a concept as God...or anything supernatural. Just like you can't disprove him by those means.