• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists have faith.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What is it to have Faith?

To believe things that have no evidence.

I see that many that do not have a belief in God or a Religion, still have Faith

First, there's no reason to capitalize that word.
Secondly, everybody who believes things without evidence, has faith-based beliefs.

Alien abduction, for example, is a faith based belief and has nothing to do with religion.

I see that many actions are based on morals that transcend this mortal world and are thus undertaken in Faith.

For example?

It could be seen that it is naught but a faith to take a stance that there is no God.

Not what atheism is.

Could that be a coping mechanism, that those that choose this path will not be held accountable for their decisions, that they think they are free of the weight of this world, that they will live how they want to, die and that's it?

No.

Does this free a person from considering that there may be deeper moral or ethical responsibilities, when all we have to use as boundaries, are the materialistic trends?

No.

So I see an Athiest can have Faith when they too transcend their own desires and serve others in preference of self.

Not what faith is.

Do you give of yourself to others?

Yes. And I don't require "faith" to do so, nor do I require the threat of a cosmic big brother watching my every move to do so. Nor do I require threats of bad things happening after death to do so. I have, instead, very rational reasons to do so.

As this action is a fundamental Faith based moral decision

It is not.

, do you have faith that action leads to better outcomes?

I don't require faith when I have rational reasons and evidence.

Acting morally is objectively and demonstrably better for society, ones mental health and social ties and what-not, then to act immorally.

P/S Edited as the purpose is to explore our actions against faith, it is not to bash an atheist. Sorry it was not well worded.

It's kind of hard to look at it in any other way then to "bash atheists", when the crux of your "argument" is just an OPINION of yours that "atheists don't believe in god so that they can act immorally" which you then present as if it is a commonly accepted fact.

It's quite insulting actually, tbh.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I have no definition of Faith, so how can I twist something I have not defined?

How can you uberhaupt talk about something you have not defined?

Consider the following statement:

You, sir, are a real 'gooblydockdoobiedooda'.

Now, what the heck did I just say? Did I insult you or did I give you a compliment?
How would you know unless I define the word?

What would you say if I told you that I don't know how to define it? Meaning that I myself don't even know what it means? Now that would be pretty ridiculous then, wouldn't it?

How many things do we do that have a level of faith attached?

About as many as there are 'gooblydockdoobiedooda's in the world.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Maybe our actions are not that shallow, I will post part of a quote above.

"All humanity must obtain a livelihood by sweat of the brow and bodily exertion, at the same time seeking to lift the burden of others, striving to be the source of comfort to souls and facilitating the means of living.

It says that if we do the above that "This in itself is devotion to God".

So effing what?

I can write you a book that says that the act of farting is an act in devotion of god.
That doesn't make farting an act of faith, nor does it mean that god exists because people fart.

:rolleyes:

So it may be an Atheist who implements all the above in their lives may have a stronger faith than many of those that claim a faith.

Just like someone who farts a lot has "stronger faith" then those that don't.

This is stupid.

I see some people are not ready to admit the good is greater then themselves, then there are many that do all those actions in silence, they are the hidden Gems of our Nations.

Regards Tony

You are just claiming that every good act is an act of faith and somehow relates to the god you believe in.

You can claim it all you want, it's not going to make it true.
Your are operating here with a priori religious assumptions that none of us agree with nor need.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Like giving to charities, one has Faith that what they offer will help the purpose of that charity.

Absolutely not.
I will never engage in charity "on faith" that it will help.

I'ld like minimize the risk that my donation is actually used to fund some guy's Ferrari or mansion with pool, instead of being used to build the school or whatever like the organization promises.

Just "having faith", is not a good way to do that.
That's in fact a good way to get scammed out of your money.

I see the only issue here is that many do not want to admit they do things based in Faith, the word is what distracts them.

No. They issue here is that you refuse to properly define the word and use it in ways none of us are.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it very interesting to meditate on the approach people took to this OP, does anybody else see the same diversity of atheist thought, that you will also find in religious adherence?

Really, I see we are so alike, it is amazing that a diversity of views can keep us from finding that unity. :D

Regards Tony

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Nope. Its those who lack the belief in a diety. There is a difference.

So they can believe a deity exists while not believing in a deity?

Not playing semantics but I'm pretty simple: person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

The nature of that lack of belief of existence depends on the person I guess.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is exactly what the OP is about, what is the motivation.

Regards Tony
The motivation is that is something valuable per se. There is no need of any god to have that.
Especially because the origins of morality are entirely naturalistic. They are a necessary consequence of our dependence from other fellow apes in order to survive.

In the same way we know that chocolate is good, while dog's crap is not. And there is no need of any god to realise that, either.

Ciao

- viole

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well is it not faith in science that you see what was offered was wrong? I see that the answer is still not known and I see that the human species has evolved as the Human species. There is a very good logical talk given on this topic.

Regards Tony
What? I do not understand what you are asking here? What was "wrong"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see both the good and bad are all God given. I also see that this is not and indication of any imperfection, but a sign of perfection.

We will always find differences if we look for them, the harder and most worthy goal is looking for the connections. I have faith that is the best option.

Regards Tony
Then you appear to be abusing the evidence. You chose your answer and are trying to put the evidence through a sieve. This is not the way that reason works.

Dropship

What is it to have Faith?
I see that many that do not have a belief in God or a Religion, still have Faith.

The atheists "religion" is political correctness which is fine up to a point, but it's a blind leaderless religion like a ship without a rudder and often ends up making a fool of itself.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The atheists "religion" is political correctness which is fine up to a point, but it's a blind leaderless religion like a ship without a rudder and often ends up making a fool of itself.
Rarely, yes that does happen but far less often than religious groups that make the error of interpreting their holy books literally.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I said. I can prove God to my own satisfaction, indeed I have done so; God is as real to me as the wind at my back. You may prefer another word than “proof”. Whatever, choose your own then. I cannot prove God to you - only you and your creator can do that.
I would hope that if a god were real that it could be proven. That countless people that have "proven to themselves" that God exists and yet have huge disagreements with other believers tells us that at the very least almost all of them have tio be wrong.

Could there be one right belief? Yes. But history tells us that the real answer is probably no.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So how come there are so many religions - that seem to differ - oh wise one? :oops:

RestlessSoul

I would hope that if a god were real that it could be proven. That countless people that have "proven to themselves" that God exists and yet have huge disagreements with other believers tells us that at the very least almost all of them have tio be wrong.

Could there be one right belief? Yes. But history tells us that the real answer is probably no.

Much of your logic is based on arbitrary assumptions which don't stand up to scrutiny. This may be problematic if you are placing all your faith in logic.

Firstly, your "hope" as a cynic, that God can be proven using methodology approved by you means little to me, as a believer. Why should it? I've already said that God cannot be proven by logic.

Secondly, the assumption that people of different faiths, with varied concepts of the name and nature of that which I call God, must necessarily contradict each other on the issue of the existence of God, is erroneous.

Whether somebody prays to God the Father, Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehova, Krishna, Vishnu, or The Great Spirit is irrelevant to me, though it may matter to some. All believe in a God of their own understanding.

Therr are many ways to interpret what history tells us: Seems to me that on this subject, history, like reason, logic, and probably science, is telling you what you want to hear.

RestlessSoul

Not particularly helpful, if one believed in some all-powerful deity, as to knowing everything there is to know about humans though is it?

The obvious answer to that is, that religion is man-made and therefore frequently errant. But God and religion are far from being the same thing.